Special Tools???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special Tools???

I am in the midst of overhauling the engine on an 80 xs1100 Special. It is going swimmingly until it came time to remove the clutch and generator.

Apparently I need a Rotor Puller Tool. Any idea where I can get one?

Also I need a Clutch holding Tool. Any help with these would be appreciated.
    Sam Christensen
    The Chronicles of my Rebuild http://xs1100rebuild.blogspot.com

--------------------------------------------------------
    If you are leading and no one is following, maybe your just taking a walk.

Currently bikeless. Sold my 1980 XS1100 Special

I do not know about the generator, but I just pulled my clutch and did not need any such puller.

For the clutch, you do need to pull the 6 bolts holding the star plate then bend the plate back down that locks the center bolt. I took advice from the sagely Phil I believe it was to hold the rear brake pedal down and use a breaker bar to remove the nut. It is supposed to be on with 52 ft-lbs, I am willing to bet mine had more than that on it, but the brake still worked. I knelt on the pedal to free my hands up.

According to my clymer maual you will need some special puller for the alternator though.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

A good 3-jawed pully puller usually works for the rotor... BUT.. the cases will seperate without removing it. So there's really no need to do so....Unless you are replacing the crank seals which isn't a bad idea. Partsnmore.com sells the correct pully puller bolt pretty cheap.

For the clutch..if the motor is already out of the bike, there's a slot up on the top of the housing next to the small gear behind the clutch basket.

Find a good thick screwdriver or small chisel that fits in this slot and the teeth of this small gear...

This will hold the basket still while you loosen the bolt or torque it. If you have any access to air.. an impact is all that's needed. You won't even have to hold that gear. If the motor is still in the bike.. just put it in gear and hold the back brake as DGSXER stated.

Tod
      Last edited by trbig; 12-20-2008, 05:36 PM.
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

removing alternator rotor

Go to your local bolt supplier and ask him for a 16mm 1.5 pitch bolt about 2" long. That and a long screwdriver to keep the rotor from turning is all you'll need. The bolt will cost you about $3. Hardware store probably won't have the correct bolt, but you never know.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I think someone posted that the rear axle will thread into the rotor. that could be used as a puller (pusher?).
          Pat Kelly
          <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
          1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
          2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
          1999 Suburban (The Ship)
          1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
          1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Working...
          X