Carburation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
    Ok, I have the K&L kits from George Fix on Ebay.
    I didn't know you had the K&L kits or I would have said something. The pilot jets (not pilot screws) are difficult to utilize as you have probably seen when reviewing the multitude of threads on the subject. Dennis Kirk has new pilot jets that are the original types for Micuni. They have the air bleeds holes drilled 2, 1, 2, 1 for a total of six holes. Also, compare the axial hole of the K&L's with stock as they may also be different. I tried many adjustments with them and could never get them to work as they were way too rich and the transition at about 3000 rpms was ridiculous. I hope you can get the pilot screws free.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Skids,
      I have only owned the bike a month or so, therefore I only know what was in the carbs when I took them apart.

The pilot JETS that were in the carbs look like the same thing, the same number of holes in the sides and same locations. The vertical through holes look to be the same size and they are both marked as 42.5 jets. I di gather the 42.5 is baout the flow and not the size of the hole. The ones that were in the carbs had tapered openings, the new ones do not, and the new ones look to have very slightly smaller holes than the old ones.

The Pilot/idle mixing screws seem to be the same length and the same width in the upper regions (threaded area of course, and the first part of the shaft) The tip however is the smae length but thinner very noticably. The springs are also much shorter than the old ones. My thinking on this is that, the smaller tip will represent a more open position with less turns from bottomed out. So what was 3 turns out may now be 1-1/2 - 2 turns out? As to the shorter spring, that would seem to have the o-ring seal higher in the shaft than on the previous. What effect that will have I am not certain.

As to the stuck screw, well, I gave up and took it to a machine shop. Guy seems pretty certain he can get it out without buggering anything up. I will have my fingers crossed.

I certainly appreciate the input. I will let you know the outcome.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Working...
      X