Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What oil to use? I need to change fluids....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bowtied View Post
    Hey fellas, i think it's about time i change the fluids in my bike
    Take a look at sustainable beef tallow automotive oils from getg.com

Personally, I have found all my xs series rides, big'n'small 400's through 1100's, dislike the synthetic oils and it augments the unfortunate proclivities of wet clutched transmission disengagement. I can not, however, offer any scientific proofs to explain these observations. All I can do is recommend a steady hand and the "XS11 Heavan" book by Bob Jones' testimonial on his dremmel fix technique.

That said, I also recommend conventional Shell Rotella "T" formula weights specific to your ambient and transportational parameters. It is my understanding that this constituent blend of toxicly produced and decomposing hydrocarbons are the closest in physical characteristics to the relative blends of motor oils available back in the day when the XS series was engineered.

Not to digress, but just to be specific, I do not give an East Bay Rat's ass about "carbon" emissions, my carbon "footprint", "camel toe", "moose knuckle" or otherwise.

What I do care about is the incidence of HxCx, specifically PAH emissions, NOx, SOx, and particulates which exacerbate the aggregate toxicity of my ecological abilities to mitiage microbiological activity to support our biologies.

But I could care less about COx.

Personally, I feel that it might be neat for my grandchildren to surf the gentle shores of the Eastern Canadian tropics in their farm belting futures. Here my grandchildrens grandchildren can sustainably liquid fuel themselves around on pine tree resins and other plant oils while warming themselves from the inductive heat and conductive ultra violet lights from the hydrogen conflagrating solar mass we call the Sun. If you don't "believe" me that is good. If you want to believe me, but don't know how, just sound out my name and know this as the truth of it:

Human experience of life is like the truth is as to the water. Our oceans harbour only the most ammoral of blind creatures and magmatic forces which care for nothing except for their ability to consume your within their inertial trajectories. It is the entropic joys from the falling drop of water as it recorporates into the pool which was a stream at the top of the waterfall. Should your charged particles so remain within the mists above that pool of the sweetest essential life waters, I guarantee you my friend, Gods' wills know thy name and that most prefer to simply surf the gentle shores than delve deeply into the bossom of that negating ocean.

Sincerely,
    -Patrick Day Kennedy
    Last edited by mixelpix; 12-21-2008, 10:56 PM.
    Your Mileage May Vary

Comment

Put the crack pipe down, and step away verrryy slowly..

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

just to be transparent with my "agenda"

"The diesel engine can be fed with vegetable oils and would help considerably in the development of agriculture of the countries which use it. The use of vegetable oils for engine fuels may seem insignificant today. But such oils may become in course of time as important as petroleum and the coal tar products of the present time."
        -Rudolf Diesel 1911
        Your Mileage May Vary

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
          Put the crack pipe down, and step away verrryy slowly.. Tod
          Hey Tod,

Your post reads suspiciously like a personal attack.

Who is the one hitting the crack pipe my friend?

It most certainly is not me. Smoking is, you know, quite toxic to the mouth, nose, throat and lungs. Perhaps you are the one confused by this proclivity for controlled non-medical substances?

If you are confused by the words I have chosen to place before your eyes, please know that they are not mine, as is neither the English language we both use the "termin-ology" of to negatively ground, or "terminate" our collectively energized human experience. I only mean "negatively" here in the electrical sense as illustrated in the earlier euphemisms and not pejoratively.

If you wish to polarize this debate and add hierarchical constructions into my words, I will debate your arguments and presuppositions, however, I urge you to meditate upon my earlier post in this thread prior to further dialogue. This will help you to harmonize your energies in accordance with your inertial trajectory through the ionosphere of life's waterfall. Should you align your inner entropies with these externalizing inertias, you will likely find, as I have, that the surface tensions afforded by the process are most pleasant in the long run.

Best,
          -Patrick Day Kennedy
          Your Mileage May Vary

Comment

Wow, Lets move this to the members lounge and have a civil debate if desired. Me , I aint hugged a tree in alot of years. Proud supporter of better living through modern chemistry.

As to the winter vs summer air, well, the difference in the winter air is the amount of moisture in it, winter air is much dryer. Less water which is non compressable, means better compressed air. Will also effect the density. Changing air between heats, well, if the air in the tires did not have sufficient time to cool, then the cooler fresh air will be denser. It is just physics, it won't hurt....much. (I may struggle with how to get a stripped jet out of the carb, but this one I know.)
            Last edited by DGXSER; 12-21-2008, 11:34 PM.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
              if the air in the tires did not have sufficient time to cool, then the cooler fresh air will be denser. It is just physics, it won't hurt....much.
              I do agree with the theoretical physics of that, but how it relates to the pressure in tires is too minimal to matter. The difference in the density of the air would have to be so high that we would not be able to breate it for it to make any difference in a stretchy rubber tire. We don't exactly measure tire pressure in the thousandths of a pound.

I'll go with the pink thong thing though. Everyone has things they are allowed to believe in.
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
              -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                Wow, Lets move this to the members lounge and have a civil debate if desired.
                Hey DGXSER,

Thanks for the civil suggestion, however I have absolutely no desire or patience to politely debate those whose expressions are limited to the iambic, textually or in utterance.

Best.

---------------------------------------------

While I am donating my time here to this forum I'd just like to clarify that last sentence: "Should you align your inner entropies with these externalizing inertias, you will likely find, as I have, that the surface tensions afforded by the process are of the most exquisitely sublime and terrifyingly pleasant varietals"

'Cause this conversation has left me too tired to "run" for very "long" right now. Irrational and hysterical resistance simply makes me weary from giving my time to them, and it is my time now.

Back on point with the original listers question:

Whether you ride a spark ignition powertrain in the veins of Mr.'s Otto, Alphonse beau de Rochas or Atkinson (the 'dieseler' of gasolines) or you have converted your XS/XJ to compression ignition, my proposition is the same:

Do everyone else on the planet a favor and stop gorging yourself on the cock of domestic and foreign fossil fuel interests, specifically as related to the the wholesale and non-local dissemination of beef. If you didn't kill it or know the guy who did, paying good American dollars for that beef is causing more trouble than the nutrition it provides you. I love steak. Don't suffer idiots. Am great at mitigating open *******s. Love to kill quadripedal mammals with my bare hands and eat them in my ammoral forrest churches but I don't ****ing hug trees. Those guys are queers.

Now that I've said my peace, it is time again for war - like the one this country wages on the other side of my globe. So if you are of the 1% varietal who chooses to be both an idiot and an ******* at the same time, you and I will never enjoy sitting next to one another.

It is my humble contention that if you are still unconsciously fueling and servicing your ride with the products of unsustainable fossil fuel economies, then you are that guy.

Don't be that guy.

Do some reading instead:

http://www.fao.org

The United Nations Food and Agricultural Organization has stated plainly that second only to the toxic emissions of volcanoes it is our collective endeavor to mass produce hamburgers which is destroying the planet by overloading the ecology with toxins - carcinogens, mutagens and fetomutagens for kids who ain't breathing air with their mouths yet.

http://www.getg.com

These guys make automotive fluids you can put in your gasoline motorcycle today. This isprogressive use of the products rendered to us by the wholesale slaughter of cattle in this country, the United States of America. Giving your money to O.P.E.C. not only supports Mexicans and Venezualans first, but all them Persian hysterical monarchites. Anyone seen the movie 300? That is why Saddam got offed. He was >_< this close to getting Venezuela, Mexico, Saudia Arabia, China and FRANCE our sisters in Liberty, to transition OPEC from the US dollar to the Euro. If you thought this Summer gas prices were bad imagine paying double that all the time like the Europeans do. If Saddams plans had taken effect, I can tell you that in this lifetime the shinning light of Leonidas' resistance to the unstoppable force of Xerxes would have bveen vanquished under the collosal weight of China and India should they be able to access OPEC markets without first exchanging their currency to our markets.

Now is no longer the time to be sentimental about notions of God and country.

http://www.alcoholcanbeagas.com/file...s-to-go-up.pdf

Check out what ceo David Blume has to say on the matter of investing in Big Oil to make profits on the collapse of the fossil fuel economy and then use that money towards sustainable means - like your kids.

Aloha no na kupuna, aloha e a hui hou ka kou
                -Patrick Kennedy

And I heard, as it were, the noise of thunder: One of the four beasts saying: "Come and see." And I saw. And behold, a white horse.
                There's a man goin' 'round takin' names. An' he decides who to free and who to blame. Everybody won't be treated all the same. There'll be a golden ladder reaching down. When the man comes around.

The hairs on your arm will stand up. At the terror in each sip and in each sup. For you partake of that last offered cup, Or disappear into the potter's ground. When the man comes around.

Hear the trumpets, hear the pipers. One hundred million angels singin'. Multitudes are marching to the big kettle drum. Voices callin', voices cryin'. Some are born an' some are dyin'. It's Alpha's and Omega's Kingdom come.

And the whirlwind is in the thorn tree. The virgins are all trimming their wicks. The whirlwind is in the thorn tree. It's hard for thee to kick against the pricks.

Till Armageddon, no Shalam, no Shalom. Then the father hen will call his chickens home. The wise men will bow down before the throne. And at his feet they'll cast their golden crown. When the man comes around.

Whoever is unjust, let him be unjust still. Whoever is righteous, let him be righteous still. Whoever is filthy, let him be filthy still. Listen to the words long written down, When the man comes around.

Hear the trumpets, hear the pipers. One hundred million angels singin'. Multitudes are marchin' to the big kettle drum. Voices callin', voices cryin'. Some are born an' some are dyin'. It's Alpha's and Omega's Kingdom come.

And the whirlwind is in the thorn tree. The virgins are all trimming their wicks. The whirlwind is in the thorn tree. It's hard for thee to kick against the pricks.

In measured hundredweight and penny pound. When the man comes around.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

-Johnny Cash
                Last edited by mixelpix; 12-22-2008, 01:06 AM.
                Your Mileage May Vary

Comment

Originally posted by mixelpix View Post
                  Hey Tod,

Your post reads suspiciously like a personal attack.

It most certainly is not me. Smoking is, you know, quite toxic to the mouth, nose, throat and lungs. Perhaps you are the one confused by this proclivity for controlled non-medical substances?

If you are confused by the words I have chosen to place before your eyes, please know that they are not mine, as is neither the English language we both use the "termin-ology" of to negatively ground, or "terminate" our collectively energized human experience. I only mean "negatively" here in the electrical sense as illustrated in the earlier euphemisms and not pejoratively.

If you wish to polarize this debate and add hierarchical constructions into my words, I will debate your arguments and presuppositions, however, I urge you to meditate upon my earlier post in this thread prior to further dialogue. This will help you to harmonize your energies in accordance with your inertial trajectory through the ionosphere of life's waterfall. Should you align your inner entropies with these externalizing inertias, you will likely find, as I have, that the surface tensions afforded by the process are most pleasant in the long run.

Best,
                  -Patrick Day Kennedy
                  Can I borrow your thesaurus? It appears to be really tricked out.
                  Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan View Post
                    Can I borrow your thesaurus? It appears to be really tricked out.
                    I was thinking Tripped out.

Catatonic, yeah I'm splitting hairs. When I read the "Its just physics" line after the edit time had expired it sounded harsher than intended

As to the oil question this thread was started on so as not to highjack any further. I am currently running Meijer 10W40 for a flushing since I just did the dremel fix, next time the weather gets warmer, and my carbs are back in, I will change it for Castrol GTX 20W50. The only issue I have been told by my local MC shop is that the MA rated oils are supposed to cut down on the oil foaming due to the transmisison gears in the oil. Concern being that the foaming oil wont circulate through the pump or engine as well.

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

LOL.. Sorry. It was meant as a joke. Most people that don't take theirselves as seriously can recognize that.

I have been told by my local MC shop
                      That's so they can try to justify doubling or tripling the price on anything that says M/C or boat! Don't get me wrong.. it's not your local shop.. but you won't have any problems from oil that DOESN'T say Motorcycle on it.

Tod
                      Last edited by trbig; 12-22-2008, 06:54 AM.
                      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100
                      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Tod,

I figure it is another "Myth" to support the MA rated oils. To many long time very intelligent folks both on this site and not have stated no problems with auto oils.

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

&quot;As for changin air between races...&quot;

Read years ago... somewhere in my files... concerning what tire pressures to run.

Can't recall it exacly, now.
                          Something along the lines of:
                          Take your bike for a good run and then check the tire pressure.
                          If the 'hot' pressure went up X amount of pounds, you're running too little psi and should boost it up a few pounds. (low psi caused the tire to flex more and get hotter= higher pressure reading)
                          If when the tire pressure is checked hot and there's no difference between the hot and cold pressure readings, you need to subtract a few pounds.
                          Of course... I could have it backwards, too.
                          Been a while since I read this... but was from a rather reputable guy... someone who would know a thing or two.
                          "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Working...
                          X