Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement Coils -

Hey guys -

OK, so I am now ready to replace coils,wires, and plug caps on my 79 Standard project... (wires are brittle, 2 plug boots are damaged, etc.).

I am interested in replacing with aftermarket parts - so that I can use easily replaceable wires, maybe come out cheaper than OEM coils/wires, and perhaps even increase perormance...

I have viewed many threads about what type of coils are out there, and I was intrigued about a suggestion for some avail from MikesXS (part # 17-6803 High Output Ignition Coil). The coils in question are listed for a 80-84 XS650, and only $34.00 each (+ wires and spark plug caps) - sounds like a great price...

Would these be a reasonable aftermarket replacement for me, or do I need to bite the bullet and go with some of the expensive DynaCoil or Accel products?

Thanks for your input and suggestions - Bobby
    79 XS Standard (The Beast)

06 Triumph Daytona 675 (The Beauty)

Originally posted by bobbyjoyner View Post
    Hey guys -

OK, so I am now ready to replace coils,wires, and plug caps on my 79 Standard project... (wires are brittle, 2 plug boots are damaged, etc.).

I am interested in replacing with aftermarket parts - so that I can use easily replaceable wires, maybe come out cheaper than OEM coils/wires, and perhaps even increase perormance...

I have viewed many threads about what type of coils are out there, and I was intrigued about a suggestion for some avail from MikesXS (part # 17-6803 High Output Ignition Coil). The coils in question are listed for a 80-84 XS650, and only $34.00 each (+ wires and spark plug caps) - sounds like a great price...

Would these be a reasonable aftermarket replacement for me, or do I need to bite the bullet and go with some of the expensive DynaCoil or Accel products?

Thanks for your input and suggestions - Bobby
    Hi Bobby,
    MikesXS aftermarket coils work better than the stock XS650 coils so most likely they will work better on the XS11 too. One caveat, are the plug wires long enough? I dunno and MikesXS won't tell you, they will only say "Our parts are only for the XS650." However, Dynas & Accels do work better than stock.
    And remember, you don't get what you don't pay for.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Mikes coils DO work great!! I have them on my daily ride, and they bolt up without any mods but the connector on the wires. The wires he sells will work, or you can buy COPPER CORE spark plug wires from a speed shop. The 8mm wires WILL fit the coil towers, though I just use mikesxs wires. I DID buy new NGK plug caps, NON-Resistor, and I'm running those with resistor spark plugs. I also am running about .035 on the gap.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

What Ray said. Mikes XS coils work great, and I also used their wires but I have the ngk resistor (5k ohm) caps and non-resistor ngk iridium plugs (GREAT plugs, but expensive). I trimmed the wires so they are suspended and not touching any metal. Probably don't need to, but I'm anal that way .

One note on the Mikes XS coils - When you attach the wires to the coils they use a little rubber donut to seal. If you try putting the donuts on the wires dry, they are very difficult to get on the wire and to tighten properly. A little shot of WD40 on the end of the wire makes 'em slide right on and will allow you to tighten the caps all the way down on the coils using only finger pressure. Definitely open the plug gap as per Ray's suggestion 'cause they put out twice the voltage of the stock coils. The ngk iridiums already come gapped to .035". You will also need four 1/4" female spade connectors (hardware store), and you'll have to cut the feed wires off the old coils to use on the new ones. Waterproof spade connectors would be best.
        I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Thanks for the info, that is great news -

Just a few more questions....
          Do I need to bypass the stock resistor when using the aftermarket coils?

I am running the Iridium plugs now, but I am mote sure whether or not they are resistor.... I picked them up at the autoparts store as a matter of cenvenience when I was in the initial stages of getting the beast running a couple of months ago... (along with Seafoam, a battery, shop towels, and oil), I just took whatever the counter guy told me was correct) I will check that out. So - if they are not resistor, then I should use the 5 ohm caps, and if they are resistor, I should use non-resistor caps?

And of course, to make sure I am talking about the correct coil - MikesXS (Part #17-6803), right?
          79 XS Standard (The Beast)

06 Triumph Daytona 675 (The Beauty)

Comment

Yup - gotta bypass the ballast resistor. You can tell if the plugs are resistor from the number. bp6eix are non-resistor. bpr6eix are the resistor.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

MikesXS Coils

I have MikesXS coils and 7mm copper core wires with 5k caps and resistor iridium plugs . I will install non-resistor caps when I get them . I used covered 90 degree female connectors . A little vaseline on the connections and plenty of di-electric grease covering anywhere water could get in . I even used a bit of black RTV silicone under the coil caps . I'm sorry I didnt get the OEM type crimping tool for the solderless connectors as now i'm worried about them but probably they will be fine .
              Last edited by Axel; 12-19-2008, 05:06 PM.
              XJ1100K
              Avon rubber
              MikesXS black coils
              Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
              MikesXS front master
              Paragon SS brake lines (unlinked)
              Loud Horns (Stebel/Fiamm)
              Progressive fork springs
              CIBIE headlight reflector
              YICS Eliminator

Comment

Sorry to zombie this thread back to life, but is there a preference for this set-up? As in:

resistor caps + non-resistor plugs

versus

non-resistor caps + resistor plugs?

What's the difference?
                "I said I never had much use for [a pistol], never said I didn't know how to use one."

'82 Maxim XJ1100J (Maroon) - "Organ Donor" - Parts bike

'82 Maxim XJ1100J (Black) - "Outrider" - Dynojet Stage 1 kit, Kerker 4-1 exhaust, AGM battery, Mikes XS coils, small inline fuel filters, Dunlopp Elite-3 tires

'06 Star Warrior (Custom Gadsden Flag Theme) - "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ" - Sissy bar w/ luggage rack, 4" risers, braided stainless steel cables and brake line; Mods on deck: new exhaust, new seat

Comment

Gunslinger - I run the Mikes XS coils with the 5kohm resistor caps and non-resistor plugs and 7mm wires. You can also run non-resistor caps with resistor plugs. Or you can run non-resistor caps and non-resistor plugs and have fun screwing up the cagers' radios when you pull up next to them. Running resistor plugs and resistor caps is generally thought not to be a good idea. Don't know that it causes a problem, but it will create more resistance in the lines. You'll also need to widen the plug gap a little for the hotter coils - .035" should do it.

Comment

The only reason for running resistor plugs is for radio interference. Most run non-resistor plugs ( NGK - BP6ES) and the 5K resistor caps.
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I'm having trouble finding non-resistor iridium plugs. I'm seeing plenty of the BPR6EIX, but no non-resistor types. Do they exist? Suggestions?

EDITED: Hang on, think I may have found them. Looks like the regular NGK plug number is BP6ES, and the NGK Iridium IX plug number is BPR6EIX. Is this correct? I thought the "R" in the number stood for "resistor"? I definitely don't want to buy the wrong thing...
                      Last edited by FSCGunslinger; 03-12-2009, 09:37 AM.
                      "I said I never had much use for [a pistol], never said I didn't know how to use one."

'82 Maxim XJ1100J (Black) - "Outrider" - Dynojet Stage 1 kit, Kerker 4-1 exhaust, AGM battery, Mikes XS coils, small inline fuel filters, Dunlopp Elite-3 tires

'06 Star Warrior (Custom Gadsden Flag Theme) - "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ" - Sissy bar w/ luggage rack, 4" risers, braided stainless steel cables and brake line; Mods on deck: new exhaust, new seat

Comment

I just went out and took a look at old Betsy. Thought I had the non-resistor but it turns out they are the bpr6eix. They work fine with the 5kohm plug caps, and are about as close to foul proof as they come. A quick check on NGK's site shows them as the correct plugs for the XS. I got 'em at Advance Autoparts for around $7 ea.

Comment

Thanks dbeardslee! I appreciate it! I'm gonna pick up a set next time I'm home for the weekend.

Comment

Working...
                          X