other gastank fitment on xs1100s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 gal

I did a cross country trip, 3316 miles on a bike that had only a 2 gal capacity. The bike would go only about 110 miles and had no reserve or fuel guage. 50 MPG was the only saving grace.....
    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
    Drilled airbox
    Tkat fork brace
    Hardly mufflers
    late model carbs
    Newer style fuses
    Oil pressure guage
    Custom security system
    Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

I picked up a maxim 11 tank for my xs 1200 standard project. It fits on the frame but the part that bolts on is a little longer than the bolt hole. I'm sure I could rig it up to work, but i'm not sure I like the way the bottom of the tank is cut with a swoop. I think i'm going to hold off and look at other tanks, I always liked the chrome tanks with knee pads.

It looks really nice from the front and rear, but not so good from the side...maybe when I make the seat it will look better...???

79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
      80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
      80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
      79 DT 100

Comment

If you ever decide you don't like that Maxim tank, let me know.

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I too need help please!!!!!

I was acutally about to try to get the same kind of info on tanks when finding this thread.

My question is..... Does anyone know all what tanks out there have a wide enough tunnel to go on an 11? I have been kinda snopping around the net and ebay for a tank with wide enough tunnel for an 11. I am really looking for a Harley tank with no less that 4 gallon cap.

I know, I know..; Ha. No one wants to hear that. I just like the wat that the bottom of the tanks are rolled and sleeker with out the lip of the Jap bikes.

So can anyone out there please give me a lead on a year and model of a Harley tank that has 4 gal. or better fuel capacity a wide enough tunnel for an 11 special. Mounting is not a problem. Width is not a problem. Length is not a problem. Just tunnel width.
          80special w/79special motor.Never ride faster than your angel can fly!!

Comment

Originally posted by bigray03 View Post
            - - - So can anyone out there please give me a lead on a year and model of a Harley tank that has 4 gal. or better fuel capacity a wide enough tunnel for an 11 special. Mounting is not a problem. Width is not a problem. Length is not a problem. Just tunnel width.
            >
            Hi Bigray,
            it's my understanding that all the big Harleys have two tanks, one halfatank on each side?
            You could weld appropriate tabs to the Yamaha frame to mount the two halves as far apart as they needed to be to clear the frame. Fill in the gap with a cheater plate just like Harley does. Build an instrument console onto it, even? Use matching paint on steel or polished aluminum checkerplate or tooled leather or whatever best suits the planned decor.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

the use of fatbob harley gastanmks looks completely stupid. plus i tried that route already myself. it makes the gastanks stick ouit so far its unreal. whioch means less for leg room.

best bet is to single backbone the xs1100 frame and then the tank options are nearly endless.

and to single backbone a stock frame is pretty easy.

i will take pics of mine and how im doing it if itll help.

no need for over abundance of frame mods either really. although the position of the coils and other electrical crap under the gastank will be moved and to where is up to individual.

Comment

Single back bone.............

Fred,
                I have thought of that. I myself really like the look of the dual caps look, just don't like the console, trim tab, or anything else I ever saw used for it. I may look into getting them tig welded and hopefully get a seamless sleek tank out of it. The thing that concerns me is how wide I would have to go with them as Chop said.

I'm going for a smooth, clean look. No badges, no trim on tins.. Just clean.

Chop,
                I acutally really considered doing a single backbone but have decided against it due to electrical items. I'm mounting even more crap under the tank that already exist stock so I need the room and the tank to hide some of it. Doing away with the fuse box, going with all inline fuses and to make more room. Welding tabs and holders as needed for all relays. Working on trying to hide the ignition box somewhere up under as well. Really need to get my tank on there see exactally what I have to work with though. I'm trying to get all that stuff up closer to the front of the bike where most of it controls anyway. My reasons for this is because i'm doing away with my side covers and can't have all that sh*t just hanging around back there. I have modified as needed an amo can into a battery box matching color and want nothing more that my battery cables being visible in that area. Other than that I can easily hide the few wires i'll have going to my tail lights. Working on the real naked bobber, see thru look without giving anything up. If you are anyone else reading has any ideas, please feel free to give your opinions and inputs.

Comment

bigray have yo0u not heard that less is more ?

this is the way im hiding my electrics and battery- i am using an old tractor tank ( now these ciome in various sizes. the one im using will be a roundish shaped one. ok. there is plenty of room in one of these tractor tanks for battery and all thee elecrtical crap. of course cdi box ill be bolting to the inside front of my rear fender . and the rest of the stuff that used to be on the stock dual backbone all get moved- under the seat area . exxcept the coil- those im keeping in the same area as stock.

the only thing in doing this hide all setup under the seat area in such a container is that the outrageously huge stock battery will not fit- thats where a gelcell batteryt comes in nicely- plus a much better batteryt compired to the stock monster ones. oh yeah and my ignition switch is also mounted in this "box" as well. nothing to drilling a hole and mouunting the ignition . starter button- yuyp its also mounted on the "box" as well. i have nothing on my bars other than the grips. the throttle., the front master cylinder. the levers, mirrors. very clean look.

as far as a horn goes- i mount a bulb horn . and i have a mini speedometer .

so very clean lines .

i can run signals if i wanted to since i did not rip the stock wire harness to bits. most just taped and tucked away.
                  but if i ever want to run signals there are mini buttons that one can drill into the bars and mount for those.
                  so less is more clean look.

as far as the dual backbone- i hate the stock frames on these bikes. its overkill without room for options. so thats why im cutting and welding a single 1 1/2" diam backbone tube in place. then if i want to run a 4 gallon muystang style gastank or any kind of gastank the options are great. and yes even fatbob gastanks . because youll find that the fatbob tanks will be a mighty pita if trying to mount with the dual bockbone . becomes more fab work than one would really think.

so for 10 bucks worth of tubing and the sawzall and the welder all will be fine once again in the facelifting of my beater xs1100 yam.

Comment

tractor tank???

Educate me further Chop,
                    Plan on trying the spring seat look, so under seat mounting is out. I hear ya on the gelcell battery, just concerned about if on a trip and need new battery well..... you know. Options can be limited. Don't want to screw myself down the road.
                    Got some pics?? Tractor tank??

Comment

Working...
                    X