other gastank fitment on xs1100s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• other gastank fitment on xs1100s?

do the 750 and 850 triple gastank fit on the xs1100s?

No, the tank tunnel is to narrow.
    I hate signatures. Too many cars and Bikes to list here.

Comment

Someone here my know the correct answer. But from what I can remember neither one of those's tanks will fit. Something about (know this is where I'm not for sure) the width of the tunnel on the inside not fitting the frame and I think there was also something said about the lenght of the tank didn't fit either.

You may know this and may not but I'll tell it anyway. They made 2 types of tanks for the xs. They had a Standard tank which held over 5 gallons and the Special tank which held only 4 gallons. The Special tank is a tear drop design where the standard was how can I say this, HUGE! Now I can't remember what year it was but there is a tank that will fit from the Venture I think that was around 6 gallons. But those are hard to find. Now you can take a standard tank and put it on a special but there are a few things that have to be done to get it to work. Like on some they had the frame reflectors that have to be removed and the horns. Just stuff like that.
      Chris

79 XS1100 Standard aka: Mutt
      87 Honda TRX350D 4X4: Old Blue!
      93 NewYorker Salon: Sleeper...
      71 RoadRunner 440 Magnum: Mean Green!
      69 Charger 440 Magnum: Pleasure Ride!

Gimme Fuel Gimme Fire!

Comment

ok thanks for the infos.

ill just keep my special tank on my bike and run with it.

i always hated the standard gastanks- who wants to cruise further than a 100 miles without a piss stop? lol

Comment

Just FYI...

The XS11 Special tanks are the same the world over... 15 litres (4.0 US gall).

The USA/Canadian Standard (2H7, etc) Tanks are 20 litres... (5.3 US gall).

The EU/Oceania Standard (2H9) tanks are 24 litres... (6.3 US gall).
          (This is the tank that was fitted to the US/Can Venture Model)

All XS1100 Tanks will fit all XS1100 frames (OEM ones anyway) and the tank most commonly found in EU/UK/OC is the 2H9, 24 litre variety... So, if you have a larger than average bladder and can stand to wait 200 miles for a pee, try searching on Ebay outside of USA/Can for those larger tanks...

HTH

Miti
          One of those terribly nice chaps on XS1100.com
          • XS1100S (5K7) '83 "Sport #1 - Trike Donor"
          • XS1100S (5K7) '85 "Sport #2"
          • XS1100LG (4W1) '80 "A Tribute to Brian"
          • Hesketh V1000 '82 - Dream Realised...

Comment

I have the Venture tank on my E. The E tank will be painted black and go on my LG. The LG tank will be set with my OEM parts.
            I have all the parts needed to make both my XS's cosmeticly stock.
            Pat Kelly
            <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
            1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
            2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
            1999 Suburban (The Ship)
            1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
            1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Sometimes it's not the pee stops, but the distance between gas stations. It really sucks riding along with a bunch of XSers, some of us on Specials, and not knowing how far it is to the next station when the little red light comes on. There are some areas around here with large expanses between the stations.

Comment

long distance ride i carry an extra gascan with me.

but most the time i know the bike so well that im riding i know when its gonna get thirsty.

Comment

Originally posted by blackchop2 View Post
                  long distance ride i carry an extra gas can with me.
                  but most the time i know the bike so well that im riding i know when its gonna get thirsty.
                  Hi Blackchop,
                  so if you are going to be more than 80 miles from a gas pump the aesthetics of a Special tank have to be balanced by carrying a big red plastic gas can to boost it's pathetic fuel capacity?
                  I guess if the can is strapped on the rack or the pillion you can't see it when you are riding.
                  As for P-stops, unlike gas stations, there's ditches almost everywhere.
                  Last edited by fredintoon; 12-09-2008, 01:45 PM.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                    Hi Blackchop,
                    so if you are going to be more than 80 miles from a gas pump the aesthetics of a Special tank have to be balanced by carrying a big red plastic gas can to boost it's pathetic fuel capacity?
                    I guess if the can is strapped on the rack or the pillion you can't see it when you are riding.
                    As for P-stops, unlike gas stations, there's ditches almost everywhere.
                    i rode a 650 maxim cross country- well from az to montana like a 1500 mile trip - same amount of fuel tank. i carried a small red gascan on the bike with me strapped down to the rear luggage rack. better to be safe than sorry. and no i had no problems carrying the gascan with fuel in it.

and yup the great outdoors were made before restrooms were.

i just no reason to put the biggest most godwaeful looking monstrocity of a gastank on a motorcycle just to gain that extra 50 miles. like putting fatbob 5 gallon tanks on a sporty or a brit bike- looks stupid .

but then again im just a chopper freak so im not much into the bigger the better view points of things.
                    to me less is more.

Comment

Originally posted by Miti-Babe View Post
                      All XS1100 Tanks will fit all XS1100 frames [I](OEM ones anyway)
                      Miti
                      Hi Miti,
                      yes, but there are issues to contend with so it ain't quite a straight swap.
                      Put a Standard tank on a Special and the Special's seat pan has to have 5/8" cropped off the front or it won't fit plus the Special's thermistor fuel level sender has to be swapped into the Standard tank in place of it's variable resistance sender.
                      As the sender holes are on opposite sides of the tank the Special's sender has to be mounted with it's wire attachment pointing forward & the wires extended or it will be mounted upside down and give a spurious reading (the red light will not signal that you are about to need to switch onto reserve but will instead only come on when the reserve is going to run dry in the next mile or so). Likewise the float arm of the Standard's sensor won't fit pointing backwards in the Special tank so it will be upside down and full will read empty. Get used to it or fit the thermistor sender and rig a red light if fitting a Special tank on a Standard.
                      Then there's the filler cap and gas taps. They have to come with the tank as they don't swap.
                      Last edited by fredintoon; 12-09-2008, 02:14 PM.
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

i figured out my dilemma- im refabbing the backbone on my frame to have a single backbone

Comment

What if someone wanted to run a different style tank all together? Like say a "cough, cough, sportster cough, cough" tank? Seeing as how i'll be chopping mine and hardtailing it i was wanting something a little more pleasing to the eye then the big teardrop tank i have on it now (stock special tank). What other tanks besides factory yamaha tanks will work?
                          Yes it's a damn nice bike, yes it's in REALLY good condition, yes it would be a shame to chop it, BUT damn how cool would it look with ape hangers?

Comment

Hey Bowtied,

I've always been partial to the fatboy tanks, with the double gas caps. The MAXIM's tank is much wider and more shapely/curved than the Specials, and provides a bit more capacity, not nearly as much customizing to get one to fit, but might be a little difficult to find in good shape???

I think I remember some folks toying with the use of the newer V-star tanks, however they aren't much more if any more in capacity than the OEM.

Using a Sportster tank would barely get you across town on the Special!

T.C.
                            T. C. Gresham
                            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                            History shows again and again,
                            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtied View Post
                              What if someone wanted to run a different style tank all together? Like say a "cough, cough, sportster cough, cough" tank? Seeing as how i'll be chopping mine and hardtailing it i was wanting something a little more pleasing to the eye then the big teardrop tank i have on it now (stock special tank). What other tanks besides factory yamaha tanks will work?
                              Hi Bowtied,
                              I must agree that if you are chopping & hardtailing your bike you don't need a sensibly sized fuel tank.
                              You will only need enough gas to get you to the chiropractor's & back or go on the occasional toy run.
                              IMHO the Sportster tank is plain ugly, especially the way the front curves in the opposite way to the bike's steering head.
                              How about cutting the tunnel out of a Special tank and welding the outer shell of an XS650 Special tank onto it?
                              Fred Hill, S'toon
                              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                              X