Fiberglass seat pan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiberglass seat pan

I have mentioned here before that i was planing on going the cafe route with my bike. I am planing on making my own seat pan out of fiberglass. I have a Special so the ignition is right under the seat so using a premade cafe style seat is not an option. I have not had much luck finding supplies outside of the internet. Anyone have any ideas on what kind of local store would sell fiber glass materials? Once I get the stuff to do it I will do a write up if anyone is interested. If anyone has fiberglass advice that would be helpful also
    1979 XS1100 SF
    1981 KZ440 bobber

Walmart carries fiberglass materials by the house paint, and anybody that has much to do with boat stuff will carry it also. No help here as to actually using the it! lol.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

xs1100 seat pan made of plastic

I sold a xs1100 seat pan to a member (forgot who) that was made of plastic,. It was a complete stock looking style pan for a standard I believe. Someone must have had it made. It fit perfectly and had all the stock mounting points etc. Just made out of plastic instead of steel. Maybe that member will read this post, take a picture, send it to you. Only one I ever saw that was made of plastic. thanx andreas

Comment

I would think that any good Auto Body shop would have fiberglass supplies. My dad had to re-do the fiberglass door on his Lotus when I was a kid, and that was long before the internet happened.

You could get some sculpting foam at an art store and make a positive mold for the mounting points and such, then make a negative from that out of plaster of paris, which you could then form the fiberglass pan over the top of.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

I think i will be going the route seen on this link. http://www.websxtreme.net/ebook/scr/...t%20Pan%20.htm

I have a old motorcycle gas tank that i am going to cut up to use as the back end of the seat mold to get that cafe look. I think i just saw AutoZone sells fiberglass is a couple different sheet types by Bondo. I will go check it out tonight.
          1979 XS1100 SF
          1981 KZ440 bobber

Comment

Do you have TAP Plastics anywhere around?? Out here on the left coast they are a real good source. Have many different cloths, all the way to Carbon fiber and Kevlar.

Rodger
            RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

JAT...Diamond Seat out of Florida sells their seats on new fiberglass seat pans they make (or have made) for their use. Might want to contact them and see if they will sell you just a pan. Is already made to fit and could be modified, I bet. Might be easier than builing one from the ground up.

Diamond URL is http://www.diamondseats.com/
              Jerry Fields
              '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
              '06 Concours
              My Galleries Page.
              My Blog Page.
              "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Originally posted by joebus View Post
                I have mentioned here before that i was planing on going the cafe route with my bike. I am planning on making my own seat pan out of fiberglass. I have a Special so the ignition is right under the seat so using a premade cafe style seat is not an option. I have not had much luck finding supplies outside of the internet. Anyone have any ideas on what kind of local store would sell fiber glass materials? Once I get the stuff to do it I will do a write up if anyone is interested. If anyone has fiberglass advice that would be helpful also
                Hi Joe,
                if the ignition box location is the only thing stopping you from using an aftermarket seat, moving the ignition box is FAR easier than DIYing an FRP seat pan. Especially as it sounds like this will be your first attempt at using the stuff. If you are determined to use FRP the advice so far given is OK
                but let me add; for your health's sake be careful with that stuff. If you breathe them in the fumes from the resin, catalyst & solvents will rot your liver, the glass fragments floating in the air as you cut and lay the stuff out and as you sand the finished product will give you emphysema and if you smoke they can also trigger lung cancer. Wear a cartridge type breathing mask as well as eye protection at all times when working with FRP.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Da-bubble had a fiberglass seat pan made for his bike. He may have some info about the process. Here is his build. http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...light=Dabubble
                  http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                    Wear a cartridge type breathing mask as well as eye protection at all times when working with FRP.
                    I enthusiastically concur. You do NOT want to get that stuff in your lungs. It can be done safely, but be sure you protect yourself.
                    1980 XS850SG - Sold
                    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                    -H. Ford

Comment

Hey Joe,

Recent threads by Da-Bubble IIRC, showed a great looking bobber, and he was able to relocate the Ig Box into the small tool box without any rewiring. Another member removed the tool box, and made an aluminum plate and mounted it behind the battery where he was able to bolt the IG box to, so it can be done that way fairly simply! As stated, why re-invent the wheel when you don't have to!
                      T.C.

The Travelcade K/Q style bucket seats that are sold by JCW have fiberglass pans, so if you could find an old one on ebay, that would also be a source, they have the correct hardware fittings/locations as well! JAT.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I have a extra steel seat pan from an old king and queen seat but it is so stinking big. I thought with doing my own molded pan and doing the Velcro mount I could make the bike look more like a true cafe style. I like the style of the "sport seat" on Mikesxs but i doubt it would fit. I am not overly worried about the mounting points of the current seat as long as i can get a seat to just stay on solid. I will look into the relocation of the ignition.
                        1979 XS1100 SF
                        1981 KZ440 bobber

Comment

Working...
                        X