No announcement yet.

re-jet questions for 1980 xs1100 carbs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• re-jet questions for 1980 xs1100 carbs.

Hello again, I have a looked for hours through all the re jetting information in the forms. I have found a lot of good information.

I just took off the carbs off of my bike. I am going to replace air box with the pods and going use straight pipes.

I just need to know what size jets to use and if there is a rebuild kit for the carbs that include the correct size jet for my upgrades. If not in a complete kit or do I have to buy them separate.

Where do i order the size i need and what do i have to order besides the jets?

I have seen the jet kits on eBay I do not understand about the jets sizes if they are stock or not.

I did see the thread about all the jets sizes that move up and down, but really didn’t really understand it. (The going up one for the stock number.)

Thank you again for looking at my question and for your help.
    Last edited by whoride76; 12-02-2008, 11:01 AM.

The jet sizes for Mikuni are based on fuel flow. Some of the aftermarket jets are sized based on the "drill number", or diameter of the hole.
    It will be hard to "jet" a bike over the internet, but I'll try and get you close. with pod filters and strait pipes, I would think a good start point would be three sizes LARGER than stock on the main jets, and ONE size LARGER on the pilot jet. After that, it will be trial and error, reading the plugs to get it running properly.
    mikesxs.com is who I order jets from, as he carries the Mikuni jets, and sells them in pairs for a good price. If I was to order jets, I would order three sets of mains, 2,3,and 4 sizes up from stock, and just the one over pilot jets. Don't forget, fuel level WILL make a difference on the flow as well. ALL FLOATS MUST BE THE SAME!!! If you drop or raise the float level by .5mm, you will have some effect on the running.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I can't tell you exactly what main jets to use. But I'm running a stage 1 dynojet kit and I'm a little rich on the mains with 125's. So that may be about right for you with your config, and being around sea level. The nice part is that with pod filters, changing jets is reletively easy. Back the pilot screws on the top front of the carbs out to 2 turns from bottom and order float bowl gaskets oem. I've had ebay gaskets not fit. You'll want to watch you plug color to keep track of where your at. If your mixture ends up off in mid throttle, but good wide open, you may end up buying a dynojet kit for the needles. But I think you might be ok.
      1980sg-Stocker-- Sold
      1980sg- Cruise Missile- Sold to RODS454
      1990 ATK 604- Ditch Digger
      2005 BMW K1200S- Killer Bee
      2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000- trackbike

Comment

I get my jets from the local speed shop, for about $2 each. with tax it ends up being about $10 to rejet, and if I am really nice, they will swap out ones that aren't tarnished too bad.
        Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

I too recommend exactly what DriverRay advised. 117.5 mains and 42.5 pilots.
          '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Thank you and how about the floats???

Thank you, everyone. I will look for those jets.
            How do you adjust the floats? Feeler gage? I have read about correct adjustment size, it is just not real clear about how to adjust.

If some one could please send pictures that would be great!!! to point out what needs to be adjusted.

Comment

Get yourself a maintenence manual. The float adjustment procedure is in there, with photos.

Comment

Working...
              X