Mity Vac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mity Vac

Hi, was wondering if anyone can tell me what model of Mity Vac to buy. Should I just purchase the pump or a whole kit. There are so many on the web that include vacuum gauges, etc... Any advise here would help.

Thank You,

Tom
    1982 XJ1100

I would think you want one with a gage no matter what, hard to tell anything without a gage. But otherwise, it all depends what you plan to use it for?
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

The Mity-Vac is a brand name that comes with a gauge and in a kit with several different caps for the collection bowl. It is sold by Harbor Freight for about 25 bucks and 40 bucks elsewhere. It really isn't an essential tool as just about everything it does can be done by an enterprising mechanic, but is nice to own.

Comment

As DGXSER stated, depends on what you use it for.
        Mostly, I use mine to suck old brake fluid from master cylinders... then attach it to the bleed nipple to suck fresh fluid down through the brake line.
        With a gauge, you could check the operation of the ignition vacuum advance module.
        You'll get more use out of it as a fluid sucker-upper-er.
        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

...Sorry for the vagueness of my previous question; I'm fairly new to the site and a bit green at bike repair but learning very quickly; especially with this AWESOME site. Been trying to reduce the frustration/complexity level of bleeding my brakes on my '82 XJ1100. The right front caliper is hanging up and I would like to clean everything up front and rear including calipers, fluid, spooge holes, and ultimately bleed the brakes hence the Mity Vac...

Comment

Originally posted by tdeir70 View Post
            Hi, was wondering if anyone can tell me what model of Mity Vac to buy. Should I just purchase the pump or a whole kit. There are so many on the web that include vacuum gauges, etc... Any advise here would help.

Thank You,

Tom
            1982 XJ1100
            I like mine. I has increased my overall length and girth... Oh, wait a minute, different vac, never mind...
            "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
            1981 LH

Comment

hahaahaahahaaa...!

Comment

Prom, don't give in to the dark side!!!
                He is just trying to get more money from the makers of the product he is using!!
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Hi TDeir70,

I also am new to the XS11 and found this site to be XSively helpful. There are lots of great people with a wealth of knowlege here that willingly share their knowledge and experiences. It has been invaluable to me already.

Here are a couple threads that helped me when I did the same thing with my bike the last couple weeks.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20379

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20340

And the last one shows the front pads which are sloped top to bottom on the XS1100 specials if you did not know already, freaked me out when I saw it on my bike.

And for the love of pete, if you are not planning to rebuild the rear MC, DO NOT LET IT RUN LOW ON FLUID, it is a complete PITA to bleed and the main reason I now own a mityvac. HTH
                  Last edited by DGXSER; 12-02-2008, 06:34 AM.
                  Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                  80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

As most have said the tool is mostly great for sucking. Though it can have many uses (not just on an 11) the main one I use mine for is changing the brake fluid and here is why.

There are so many threads on brake problems and alot of those problems stem from moisture collecting in the fluid. We use DOT3 fluid that is glycol based and will attract moisture naturally. So, I use my vac tool to completely change the brake fluid each and every Spring when I do my "go through everything" tune up. If yours comes with the brake fluid catch cup then you will find changing the fluid is a snap and will virtually erase the lion's share of any future brake problems you will have.

Yeah, if you can find one cheap then its worth the bucks.
                    Mike Giroir
                    79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Have to make sure I proof-read my posts for now on! hahaha! I totally walked into that one - all on my own. It's all good, thank you all for the xsive information...

Comment

"I like mine. I has increased my overall length and girth... Oh, wait a minute, different vac, never mind..."

Hi Potter,
                        about the only thing that gets past Sasktel's spam filter is ads for things like that. I'd buy one but I don't see how to get the increased length and girth out of the vacuum jar without it collapsing again. If you could post the trick of that I'm not the only person on the list who would be grateful.
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Not Required

I just changed all brake lines and the front master . I thot about a Mity-Vac but didnt get one and was pleasantly surprised that I didnt need one . Most mechs say they are more trouble than they are worth .
                          XJ1100K
                          Avon rubber
                          MikesXS black coils
                          Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
                          MikesXS front master
                          Paragon SS brake lines (unlinked)
                          Loud Horns (Stebel/Fiamm)
                          Progressive fork springs
                          CIBIE headlight reflector
                          YICS Eliminator

Comment

Most mechs say they are more trouble than they are worth
                            I'll agree... but then, there are times that they are invaluable.

(tho I mostly use this gizmo)

Comment

And for the love of pete, if you are not planning to rebuild the rear MC, DO NOT LET IT RUN LOW ON FLUID, it is a complete PITA to bleed and the main reason I now own a mityvac. HTH
                              One word: Speed Bleeders

ok, that was two.
                              Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Working...
                              X