Cleaning Engine Parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Engine Parts

I am midway through the engine dismantle and thought I should start cleaning the parts up a bit - Looking for advice on the proper method and chemicals

Not so concerned with the exterior (looks) of the engine at this point, but could use some advice on cleaning the pistons, valves, springs, etc and in general the inside of the engine (and what doesn't need cleaning... if anything)

Also any tips on conditioning the expensive rubber gaskets that attach the carbs to the engine... How can you tell if they are worth saving and when it would be better to shell out the cash for new ones?
    Sam Christensen
    The Chronicles of my Rebuild http://xs1100rebuild.blogspot.com

--------------------------------------------------------
    If you are leading and no one is following, maybe your just taking a walk.

Currently bikeless. Sold my 1980 XS1100 Special

I use a mix of auto transmission fluid and gasoline to clean parts.Obviously good ventilation and rubber gloves is a must.This solution works well.There are also good solvents you can buy to do this,but I havent seen any real benefitsAfter that i wash the parts with detergent and water ,then rinse with water.Air dry
    There are some threads here for reconditioning carb holders.Generally if the cracks dont go all the way through(They are double walled I believe and usually they only crack through the outer one),you can put a layer of permatex or liquid rubber on the outside to make em look better.
    80 SG XS1100
    14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Working...
    X