my zrx carbs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my zrx carbs...

i have not used them yet because i don't have access to a dyno nor am i great at tuning... i did have a thought though.

i remember reading that you wil lloose some low end torq. i also remember reading if you lengthen the velocity stacks it can increase low end torque.
    now if i were to attatch some tubes like topcat with my mikes xs pods. (i have no airbox so i have alot of room to lengthen them) can i not theorectically reduce the trq lost?

also i still find it hard to beleive that a bigger motor like the 1200 would need that much less fuel than the old xs with pods and a 4-1 kerker. i would think the stock zrx jets would be pretty close.

i really need to get busy on it to see if it will help my bike! it already screams as it is. and i drive it to work at night and it starts very easy in the cold. fires right up first time everytime. even when it's below freezing.

any thoughts?
    " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
    xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
    8mm msd wires
    tkat fork brace...
    Fox shocks...
    mikes650 front fender
    led's gallore...
    renthal bars
    gold valve emulators
    vmax tensioner
    Rifle fairing

I know you are asking about the ZRX carbs-don't know alot about them,but my 99 ZRX 1100 is a blast to ride.And it starts instantly in the cold.I'm curious about the mod to put them on my SG but my SG is fine just the way it is.I know that several people have switched to the ZRX carbs-maybe they can chime in.I know that you have to do something with the throttle as the ZRX has 2 throttle cables.But i think that is a small problem you might encounter.
    1980 XS1100 SG
    Inline fuel filters
    New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
    160 mph speedometer mod
    Kerker Exhaust
    xschop K & N air filter setup
    Dynojet Recalibration kit
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

trust me there are hours of reading on here about the swap. no one said anything before about legnthining the velocity stacks though.

i know the cable is different and also the choke will have to be fabbed up.
      " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
      xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
      8mm msd wires
      tkat fork brace...
      Fox shocks...
      mikes650 front fender
      led's gallore...
      renthal bars
      gold valve emulators
      vmax tensioner
      Rifle fairing

Comment

Though the engine displacement is very similar, the real difference for carburation needs comes from different heads and cams. The best example of that is the FJ1100. The carbs and base engine are nearly identical, but due to the difference for 4 valves and different cams, the FJ runs 37.5 pilots and a much leaner jet needle.
        '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

My ZRX Carb Experience

I bought a set of 2000 ZRX 1100 Carbs that had never even been taken apart (still had all the painted seals over the screws). I broke them down cleaned them even though they were spotless. Mounted them to the bike and it would not even idle and when using the throttle to keep it running it was backfiring like crazy! I even hacked up a perfectly good throttle cable because I was so sure they were gonna work. I was so mad I didn't even mess with them and put my stock carbs back on. I might re-open that can of worms this winter. Good Luck.
          1979 XS11 Special (slightly modified)
          dubbed the "Mad Mosquito"

MikesXs Pod Filters
          MikesXs 35k Coils
          8mm plug wires
          42.5 Pilots 142.5 Mains
          (Carb tune by GNEPIG Performance)
          Kerker 4-into-1
          Shaved emblems
          Progressive frt springs lowered 1.5"
          Progressive 11.5" rear shocks
          Harley Dyna rear fender chopped
          Custm side mt tag (apparently illegal)
          Custom Dual Headlights
          Lots of time and hard work.

Comment

When I put my zrx carbs on my 11 I had to back out the idle mixture screws 3 1/2 to 4 turns to get it to idle. After I went one size bigger on the pilot jets I had the screws backed out 1 1/2 turns, idled good there. I also had to change the mains. Seems like I went smaller a couple sizes. Can't remember what size.
            79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
            79 SF parts bike.

Comment

I posted some of my ZRX carb experiences here:
              http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...threadid=12584
              1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
              1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
              1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
              1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
              1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
              1982 XS650
              1980 XS1100g
              1979 XS1100sf
              1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

You may also want to look at this thread:
                http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14626
                1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
                1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
                1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
                1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
                1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
                1982 XS650
                1980 XS1100g
                1979 XS1100sf
                1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Working...
                X