CDI & Oil Cooler Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CDI & Oil Cooler Questions

Hello new here. Did a little searching here and on web. My son has a 81' Midnight Special. Are there any aftermarket CDI boxex to remove or up the rev limiter. Also I know there were oil coolers for the bike. We bought the cooler part, any hoses, adapter and the all important longer filter bolts around. Thanks for any help.

Andreas (andreashweiss) is the parts man and should have all the oil cooler parts you need. Just click the link and send him a message.
    http://www.xs11.com/forum/private.php?do=newpm&u=42
    http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

I am not sure about the MNS, but my 81 special has no rev limiter. Pretty easy to exceed redline.

Also, TC (TopCatgr) makes a SOFA (Spin on Oil Filter Adapter) that has ports for an oil cooler. It is the least expensive such device I have seen.
      Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Yup, should not be a problem getting to redline in all gears if the carbs are clean and in perfect sync and tune, the brakes are not dragging, and you've got enough testosterone.

Might want to be sure you've got fresh tires...
        Ken Talbot

Comment

When I installed my first set of cheap pod filters, the bike would run OK up to @ 5 1/2 - 6k rpm. It acted like a rev limiter on my bike. I don't think the TCI is going to be your problem.. at least I've never heard of one going bad and doing this. They usually either work, or they don't.

If you post where you're from, there may be members in your area that could help you.. like loan you a TCI to try out if you really think that's what the problem is.. or maybe help with other things. Almost sounds like it's a carb or vacuum advance issue to me.

Welcome to the forum by the way!

Tod
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Thanks to you, all I have a couple of areas to check and get back to you. Very nice site, thanks again. Bike lives in Fresno Cal. and is rode weekly.

Comment

Tci

Check the part number of the CDI. For an 81 there should be a P/N beginning with 4R0, which you will find an a metal tag that is glued to the top cover of the CDI. The 78-80 used a CDI that has a P/N starting with 2H7, and it will be enmbossed onto the top cover of the CDI. The wrong CDI will cause the symptoms you are describing.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                Check the part number of the CDI. For an 81 there should be a P/N beginning with 4R0, which you will find an a metal tag that is glued to the top cover of the CDI. The 78-80 used a CDI that has a P/N starting with 2H7, and it will be enmbossed onto the top cover of the CDI. The wrong CDI will cause the symptoms you are describing.
                Yes it is 4RO-10. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X