Soooo clubman bars dont work on xs1100 special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soooo clubman bars dont work on xs1100 special

I was planing on going the cafe route with the bike. (I know it is a little big for a cafe style but I'm 6'4 and 230 so I'm a little big) I bought clubman bars and the stinking tops of the forks stick up to tall to use them. No love on the drag bars either. Any ideas about options?
    1979 XS1100 SF
    1981 KZ440 bobber

How about some 1 inch risers?
    http://www.zianet.com/GenMar/

Comment

Loosen the triple trees and move the forks down?
      Or get some risers,probably the best way.
      80 SG XS1100
      14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
        How about some 1 inch risers?
        http://www.zianet.com/GenMar/

The ones they sell would work great. Except the 110 price tag The search will go on. Thanks for the help so far
        1979 XS1100 SF
        1981 KZ440 bobber

Comment

risers

If you can find an extra set of handlebar clamps, such as the ones that come on a Special, they probably could be put under the bar, upside down. They will act as risers. Need longer bolts too. JAT
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Hi Joe,
            there's 13/16" from the underside of the handlebar to the top of the fork tube eye in the top triple tree. The aircaps on my SG fork tubes are just about the same height. If the tops of the fork tubes are level with the eyes in the 'tree you should just get away with it. If you have lifted the fork tubes up through the 'trees to quicken the steering, the air caps will interfere for sure.
            To gain that last little bit of clearance, rotate the fork tubes in the 'trees so the slanty fork tops put their lowest edge under the 'bar.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I will have to check out the caps to see what direction the are going to see if that is the issue. Thanks for the help
              1979 XS1100 SF
              1981 KZ440 bobber

Comment

I did what Bikerphil said, and it works. Just need longer bolts. not as elegant as billet aluminum, but it works.
                Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan View Post
                  I did what Bikerphil said, and it works. Just need longer bolts. not as elegant as billet aluminum, but it works.
                  Hi Ivan,
                  the handlebar clamp off a Standard is a one piece aluminum casting with an eye that goes around the ignition switch. They polish up real nice, too. Alas (I just checked) the bolt spacing is different! One last hope for a nice-looking clamp is the one-piece clamp from MikesXS if it's the same bolt spacing as a Special. If so you can use one of those and flip the Special's existing top clamps to do Bikerphil's trick. And my apologies to Joe if I raised false hopes. My Special uses Standard 'trees to reduce trail and the Standard 'tree configuration gives more room to put a straight bar through.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

chrome bar clamp

[QUOTE=fredintoon;186102] One last hope for a nice-looking clamp is the one-piece clamp from MikesXS if it's the same bolt spacing as a Special. QUOTE]

I have one of those Mikesxs chrome bar clamps on my Special and it fits no problem. They look beautiful for the price, but after 2-3 years, the chrome starts pitting. I see the same one on eBay for twice the money.
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thanks Bikerphil. I will be ordering one of these asap!
                      1979 XS1100 SF
                      1981 KZ440 bobber

Comment

Another Option

I put Special down tube with Standard lowers on my Standard to gain a 3" extension about the top clamp. I then installed clip-ons. For a special, the same thing would work if you went to Standard clamps top and bottom.

DZ
                        Vyger, 'F'
                        "The Special", 'SF'
                        '08 FJR1300

Comment

My 78 standard has clip ons on it , never paid any attention to see how thay are mounted. They were on there when I got it.
                          1978 XS1100 Standard

Comment

Vyger does look good in that pic Denny

Originally posted by Dennyz View Post
                            I put Special down tube with Standard lowers on my Standard to gain a 3" extension about the top clamp. I then installed clip-ons. For a special, the same thing would work if you went to Standard clamps top and bottom.
                            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Check Ebay

Hi,
                              There is a set of risers on sale for an xs1100 now. Check Item number: 140285891838
                              1980 Xs1100 MNS Sold for $1800
                              2004 Roadstar XV1700
                              45 to 50 MPG
                              Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before it is too late!

Comment

Working...
                              X