Carb Choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb Choice

Thx for the help with my previous head switch thread. I have early and late model carb sets which both need rebuilding. Anyone have an idea on which is the prefered set to put on my engine?(1980 head,3H5 cams on 1979 engine with 40 over wiseco kit)
    I May Be Crazy, But I Have A Good Time.

Northern Gypsy - 2010 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Daily rider

I HIGHLY recommend going with the carbs that goes with the head you are running. If you have an 80's head, run 80's carbs. In my experience of cleaning and rebuilding multiple forum member's carbs, the 70's carbs never perform as well on my 80's bike as do the 80's carbs. They still run well, but my bike just doesn't have the same snap.
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Card ID

Thank you, I will go with the newer carbs if I have the correct set. I looked for an ID number and found 3U9 00 B9YI . I'm not sure that is the right number because it is hard to read. That number does not match with the numbers in the manual. Anyone familiar with these numbers? Thx Rick

Comment

Hey Funk,

Easy ways to tell the 80 carbs: 4 small inlet ports on the inlet bell housing; the vacuum slide needle is NOT adjustable;
        the pilot/idle screw is down in a recessed well on the top front of the carbs vs. sticking outside with the spring visible;
        there are only 1 set of fuel inlets on the side of the bodies, the upper vent inlets are capped off.
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

And that's what I have. The numbers threw me a bit. Thanks guys !

Comment

I'm going to run counter to what Jessie said. I have an 80 engine, bored to 1179, with the stock 80 cams, but I used a set of 78 carbs, because they are a little more easily tuned than the 80-81 carbs. If you think you may need to adjust the jet needles, then it can be done with out any tricks, if you are using the older carbs. I also have a Uni air filter and Jardine pipes.
            My main jets are 140, the pilots are stock, and the pilot screws are about 2 1/2 turns out. The floats are plastic, and set to the level of the 80 carbs, which is 23mm I think.
            Last edited by John; 11-24-2008, 07:01 PM.

Comment

TomCat- what do you mean the upper vent inlets are capped off?Could you describe this ?Only one set of fuel inlets on the side of the bodies?
              1980 XS1100 SG
              Inline fuel filters
              New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
              160 mph speedometer mod
              Kerker Exhaust
              xschop K & N air filter setup
              Dynojet Recalibration kit
              1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
              1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Randy, may be correct. My experience with them is limited because everytime I have done them, I am setting them up for someone who has a 70's bike. So, I have never taken the time to try and tune them for MY bike. However, I test them w/ my WBO2 on and didn't notice any major mixture issues, my bike just didn't have the ksame umph with the 70's carbs on. JMHO.
                '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Both styles

I believe I will do both sets of carbs anyway, so I can try both to see if I feel any difference. It can't hurt to have a spare set ready to go. Thx Rick

Comment

I might also add...

With the setup you have, your compression will be less than normal. The later heads had much larger valve reliefs built into the heads for the larger valves. To offset the compression loss, the made a higher domed piston for the later models.

So.. with the setup you have, you have the lower domed pistons with the larger valve reliefed head... Not sure what this translates into as far as compression loss. It isn't huge... but it isn't the most optimal setup either.

Tod
                    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100
                    *Crashed/Totalled, still own