New $50 Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New $50 Project

Starting riding my son-in-laws 84 Honda V65 Sabre to work last summer. Hadn't owned a bike in twenty years. How could I have lost all that time?
    So now I needed my own. While looking for a communter type bike big enough to haul my 6'6 250lbs, I ran across a guy who needed a bike gone by last weekend. He wanted $300, I told him I'd give him $50 and haul it away. He called yesterday. Against my better judgment I gave him $50 for a bike that needs a lot of work. I'll post pictures after I take some.
    VIN says 3J6-003XXX
    My google research says it is a 1980 xs1100sg.
    Missing side covers and seat.
    The ignition is gone and it looks like someone rigged up an off off switch!
    Tank needs paint but looks decent, not perfect, inside.
    Leaky battery has caused some rusting but nothing that can't be repaired.
    I'm hoping to figure out the wiring enough to see if I can fire it up.
    Any tips besides changing the oil and prepping the cylinders with oil before turning it over?
    Anything I can do to the carbs to mitigate the effects of sitting with bad gas?
    I figure if the compression checks out and it fires up it is worth restoring.
    I like the simplicity of the big air cooled inline fours.
    I've had cars apart and back together and this looks a whole lot simpler.
    Thanks in advance for paying attention to my first post.
    Bothell, WA
    1980 XS1100SG

Welcome to the forum, it sounds like you found a good deal or at least something to keep you busy for the next 20 years!

Click here to read about "What To Look For On A Neglected XS1100

To that I would add: Even after cleaning the carburetors the floats can still stick open and fuel will leak into the air box and into the engine.

If there are no visible fuel leaks when you put gas in the tank and prime the carburetors under your watchful eye, keep a good fire extinguisher in your hand the first couple of times you try to fire up the bike. Do it outside - not in your garage or next to the house, the car, your buddy's bike or the beer cooler.

Especially the beer cooler - imagine trying to drink hot beer with gasoline and fire retardant all over it!

Regards,

Scott
    -- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Welcome,
      It sounds like you have some work to do.These are great bikes.Just usually need some tlc if they have sat for long.
      You should put your year and model in your signature so people no what you have and can give specific advice when you need help.Also might put what city and state your in.There is probably at aleast one XS11 member in your area.
      80 SG XS1100
      14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

seafoam

XJ1100K
        Avon rubber
        MikesXS black coils
        Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
        MikesXS front master
        Paragon SS brake lines (unlinked)
        Loud Horns (Stebel/Fiamm)
        Progressive fork springs
        CIBIE headlight reflector
        YICS Eliminator

Comment

I am a big fan of the seafoam as well.
          Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
          '82 XJ1100
          '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Thanks for the tips and links guys. SeaFoam sure can't hurt. Looking forward to the renovation.
            The fire extinquisher is a great reminder. I probably would have left mine hanging on the wall in the garage. Fire out of four carbs could look like the Fourth of July!
            I found out from the DMV today that there is nothing on the title so I'm ready to get moving. I was a little concerned that the thing could show up on the "hot" list because of the hacked electricals.
            I do need a seat. Looks to me like some models from other XS's may fight. Any way to know?
            The guy I got it from has the side covers somewhere but I doubt I'll ever see them. Should mine say XS Eleven Special on them?
            Thanks,
            Dick
            Bothell, WA
            1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Copy-Cat

I copied this from another thread so if it sounds strange -thats why.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I always suggest Seafoam as a simple first - complicated later strategy . Pour a whole can in the tank and try to run it long enough to get some in the carbs 10-15minutes .If you have a full tank I would even use 2 cans . This stuff is magic on a lot of conditions but takes some time to dissolve the built up gum that you may have . Bright side is that two carbs are working so I have hope .
              After running it for as long as possible going though the revs ( if you can ride it the better- otherwise use a fan on the front blowing on the engine) Let it sit for as long as possible with that solution in the gas to work the magic . I leave it in all winter long ( months up here in Canada) and my carbs are sweet come Spring .
              For the extra treatment drain the tank to reserve and then apply the Seafoam ,run it 10-15 mins ,let soak for a week , start and see if anything changes.
              If you have a strong solution in the tank and lots of it ,an occasional ride around will help get it through the various passages . Make sure you get up above 5000 rpms to get into the main circuit too as pilot circuit has effect up to 4000
              Keep at it dude . I'm excited for you as I sit in my snowbank .
              Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
              MikesXS front master
              Progressive fork springs
              YICS Eliminator

Comment

seat

80-81 Special seat should fit, but not the 79. Standard seats won't work either. Sidecovers, same deal, 80-81 Special only.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

If I were you I would get a hold of the guy you got it from and bug him for those covers if he does have em.They are expensive and hard to get.
                  Show us some pics.We like em.
                  80 SG XS1100
                  14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

I have a n 80 special donor bike with a decent wirring harness. pm me we can work something out if you want it.
                    Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Hi GNW & welcome,
                      XS11 is stone reliable once it's fettled properly, has at least 20 more HP than the frame can handle, the engine runs backwards, it shifts like a Russian tractor and drinks like a fish. You are gonna absolutely love it.
                      Used parts from list members in the "parts" section. You will find Andreas Weiss there, he sells XS11 parts commercially and is a gentleman to deal with.
                      Sidecovers change between years and models and the correct one is best but a Dremel tool can work wonders if it must.
                      I know that $25 for a Clymer's manual ups your first cost by 50% but it's worth it.
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Picked up plugs, filters, Sea Foam and oil today. OUCH on the oil. Is motorcycle dino oil really $6 per quart? Gotta be a better buy out there.
                        Found a guy selling a box full of xs1100 stuff. Included what looks like a pretty complete wiring harness. A blessing.
                        Hope to try a little prep in the morning before all the feasting begins.
                        Great site!
                        Bothell, WA
                        1980 XS1100SG

Comment

yeah there is a better deal on oil.

Castrol 20w50. Shell 20w50. etc.

I have been running mine on castrol since I owned it and runs fine. Last change went to Mobil 1 synthetic, still no problems.

I also add some Lucas "snot in a bottle" to help keep the seals and such up to snuff, and help with dry starts.
                          Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Originally posted by greatnw View Post
                            Picked up plugs, filters, Sea Foam and oil today. OUCH on the oil. Is motorcycle dino oil really $6 per quart? Gotta be a better buy out there.
                            Found a guy selling a box full of xs1100 stuff. Included what looks like a pretty complete wiring harness. A blessing.
                            Hope to try a little prep in the morning before all the feasting begins.
                            Great site!
                            Hi GNW,
                            another lesson to learn, oil from a bike shop is always twice the price of equivalent oil bought elsewhere. Castrol 20W50 motorcycle oil $3.99/litre at Canadian tire. Their house brand 20W50 motorcycle oil $2.99/litre.
                            And that box of goodies gives you another reason to be thankful.
                            Fred Hill, S'toon
                            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Increase

CTC's house brand 20w50 motorcycle oil jumped to $3.69 here this Fall .Gougers.They may have helped me go back to Castrol .
                              Of course you dont have Canadian tire south of the border but it is our "get everything(but food) in one stop" up here .
                              XJ1100K
                              Avon rubber
                              MikesXS black coils
                              Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
                              MikesXS front master
                              Progressive fork springs
                              YICS Eliminator

Comment

Working...