So how is this possible??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So how is this possible??

This has happened to me a few times with seperate motors/transmisions. When running the bike as hard as it will go up to redline probably.. Shift... and get on it in the next gear.. then after a second or two.. .have it DOWNSHIFT to the previous gear!? I'd hate to think of how many rpm I have hit when this happens since I was redlining before the next gear. I did watch the tach go to the end of the gauges extent on one of these occasions.

Twice this has happened to me going from 2nd to 3rd, then back to 2nd, and yesterday it did it to me going from 1st to 2nd, then back to 1st. Am I maybe not being aggressive enough on the gear shifts? Seems like it would go to a false neutral before going back into the previous gear. So what's up with this? I'd kind of like to keep this motor in one piece. Exploding hot metal bits.. electricity... with the only thing between them and your private life is a thin container of fuel!? lol.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Oh Boy!

Tod... it sounds like your tranny is going south...and if anything it also sounds like you are too agressive with your revs and shifts...just my .02 cents of an opinion
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Tod never rides too aggressively
      Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
      '82 XJ1100
      '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

I doubt it's the transmissions going south. It happened on seperate motors, seperate transmissions.. and both of them have had the dremmel fix at that point and had the go-over done to them.

Too Aggressive on the shifting?? I didn't think that was possible with these..

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100

Comment

I have had that happen on my bike a couple times too.It hasnt hurt it yet but it makes me wonder if I shifted wrong.But like you say ,I was just shifting aggresively through the gears.
          I also hate when I hit a false neutral,it seems like it only happens in front of other people.LOL
          80 SG XS1100
          14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Tod,
            Check the springs in the shift mechanism. You have the one that advances the shift pawl, and it could be "old" and not doing the job it was designed to. You also need to check the adjustment of the shift mechanism. That's just a matter of pulling the shift cover and looking at the marks while in second gear.
            Just my $0.02....
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I've had this happen too. Sometimes shifting too quickly, in other words, not a full positive shift, the drum won't rotate fully to it's next position, so it will want to revert to it's previous position. The gears not fully engaged will make it pop back down. I find it is more common with high RPM shifts. Although, a freshly rebuilt transmission seems to do it less than one with many more miles on it.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

This is an interesting thread. Without having done the first gear fix, I have this happen once in a while. Usually from a stop and starting in second, (I thought) I will "bounce" into my not fixed first gear. First time it happened I thought my second gear went out too, that would deffinatly make me fix the tranny, I know I can't start off in third.
                Current Rides: '82 XJ w/Jardine 4-1's, GIVI flyscreen, '97 Triumph Trophy 1200
                Former Rides: '71 CB350, '78 400 Hawk, '75 CB550/4;
                while in Japan: '86 KLR250, '86 VT250Z, '86 XL600R, '82 CB450(Hawk II), '96 750 Nighthawk, '96 BMW F650

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                  This has happened to me a few times with seperate motors/transmisions. When running the bike as hard as it will go up to redline probably.. Shift... and get on it in the next gear.. then after a second or two.. .have it DOWNSHIFT to the previous gear!? I'd hate to think of how many rpm I have hit when this happens since I was redlining before the next gear. I did watch the tach go to the end of the gauges extent on one of these occasions.

Twice this has happened to me going from 2nd to 3rd, then back to 2nd, and yesterday it did it to me going from 1st to 2nd, then back to 1st. Am I maybe not being aggressive enough on the gear shifts? Seems like it would go to a false neutral before going back into the previous gear. So what's up with this? I'd kind of like to keep this motor in one piece. Exploding hot metal bits.. electricity... with the only thing between them and your private life is a thin container of fuel!? lol.

Tod
                  Hi Tod,
                  not the first time I've said this, but the XS11 shifts like a Russian tractor. I have recently found a note from the guy I bought the bike from and he says the guy he got it from had done the regrind trick so mebbe an amateur tranny rebuild accounts for the way my bike shifts rather than it being an inherent thing? Whatever, slow firm & deliberate at not more than 5K rpm works for me. To protect your essentials I'd suggest asbestos lined pants and a 1/4" steel plate codpiece.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

barberad said:
                    This is an interesting thread. Without having done the first gear fix, I have this happen once in a while. Usually from a stop and starting in second, (I thought) I will "bounce" into my not fixed first gear. First time it happened I thought my second gear went out too, that would deffinatly make me fix the tranny, I know I can't start off in third.
                    I beg to differ, but I had only third, fourth, and fifth for about six weeks before I fixed the tans on my old "daily Ride". You CAN launch in third, even uphill!!
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG
                    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Eh?

After 2 full seasons of riding an Eleven ,I feel like i'm just getting it right - most of the time.
                      I first could hardly shift ,then went to a very quick no load shift to a quick more load shift with some grinding . My prob was I was too hung up on a quick shift .
                      Now I am keeping the clutch in a bit longer and have improved with less grinding .I have had a usual grind between 3rd and 4th .
                      Before I was hardly using the clutch - now I am keeping it in a wee bit longer and it works better.A slightly slower roll off -roll on with the throttle as well . I 'm letting the clutch do its job- slip.
                      Just my 1.5 cents
                      Last edited by Axel; 11-23-2008, 06:45 PM.
                      XJ1100K
                      Avon rubber
                      MikesXS black coils
                      Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
                      MikesXS front master
                      Paragon SS brake lines (unlinked)
                      Loud Horns (Stebel/Fiamm)
                      Progressive fork springs
                      CIBIE headlight reflector
                      YICS Eliminator

Comment

Most of the time when I'm on it hard.. I don't use the clutch. It works just fine 99.9% of the time... lol.

Tod

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100

Comment

I owned a 78 XS750 Standard and two 80-81 Honda CB750 Customs and never clutched a shift after first, never had any trouble.

The owners manual on the XS1100 specifically states not to do this and to use the clutch. I figured since the specifically said not to shift without clutch, it must be a design issue, and I took their word for it.
                          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

Hey Tod,

I have never had it shift down, but my XS would reliably shift from 2-3 at 4500 rpm before I did the tranny fix. I had to roll on the power easy, if I pinned it, it would slip out at low rpm.

It was predictable enough, the first time out after the fix, I got mildly irritated that I actually had to shift.
                            Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Working...
                            X