wheel swap? questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wheel swap? questions

is it possible to swap out the swirly mag disc wheels for a rear drum virago wheel - and im pretty sure the xs1100 is same frontend as whats on the viraogs. so thats an easay swap out wheel wise there.

mostly just wondering aBOUT rear swap out from the disc brake to a drukm brake wheel off a virago. possible?

has anyone done such a swap?

I don't know if the Virago rear wheel would mate up the final drive of the XS, but the wheels from the XJ11 are a bolt on swap. I have them on my bike.

Comment

what bout rear drum wheel off a 750 maxim or 650 maxim?

Comment

Those bikes are chain drive aren't they? If they are then I don't know how the final drive would mate up to the wheel. Why do you want to go to drum brakes?

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
          Those bikes are chain drive aren't they? If they are then I don't know how the final drive would mate up to the wheel. Why do you want to go to drum brakes?

no they are shaft drive.

and because i prefer the less is more type of bike.

Comment

To each their own

Not questioning your taste/preference, however, I owned alot of drum brakes when I was younger in cars and always reminds me of a story. When I was about 12 we were driving down a brick road in an older part of town and my dad said "they used to make roads liek this when I was a kid, they don't anymore. You know why?" We all answered 'why'. He repsonded "Cause their sh*ty!" That and my instructor at the MSF safety course told me the bike they had me on had drum brakes and I quote "They suck".

Of course I had a guy ask me why I wanted to buy such an old bike, he thought that anything over ten years old should be at the junkyard. Soo...Not judging your choice, just contributing to it being an informed choice.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

i have owned and ridden many many different bikes over the past 30 years of riding. never ever had i had any problems whatsoever with drum brakes.

you know what i think is total overkill? dual disc brakes.

plus ive owned and driven tons of old cars with nothing but drum brakes all around - no probs there either.

i think i will just grab up a used rear drum brake shafty wjheel and see what i come out with as an actual answer to my own question.

( by the way i chopperize everything including my 81 midnight special xs1100- its not stock anymore. in fact no longer has any gold on it )

Comment

Originally posted by blackchop2 View Post
                i have owned and ridden many many different bikes over the past 30 years of riding. never ever had i had any problems whatsoever with drum brakes.

you know what i think is total overkill? dual disc brakes.

plus ive owned and driven tons of old cars with nothing but drum brakes all around - no probs there either.

i think i will just grab up a used rear drum brake shafty wjheel and see what i come out with as an actual answer to my own question.

( by the way i chopperize everything including my 81 midnight special xs1100- its not stock anymore. in fact no longer has any gold on it )
                Hi Blackchop2,
                I have an XJ650 and have parked it beside many 11's
                The rear drive is different and I doubt the drum wheel would fit. Others on this forum have installed the 650/750 rear drive to 11's which would give you the option of using the drum brake.
                The 650 only has a single disc on the front and I would love to have dual front disc for high speed situations. Like chasing MrSixtySix though the hills of Georgia:
                Maxim Phil
                1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
                  Hi Blackchop2,
                  I have an XJ650 and have parked it beside many 11's
                  The rear drive is different and I doubt the drum wheel would fit. Others on this forum have installed the 650/750 rear drive to 11's which would give you the option of using the drum brake.
                  The 650 only has a single disc on the front and I would love to have dual front disc for high speed situations. Like chasing MrSixtySix though the hills of Georgia:
                  Maxim Phil
                  yeah i am nolt sure i want to go as far as changing out my complete rear drive setup. but that does make sense in why that would have to be done in order to do such a swap out.

i ran a 650 maxim for a long time in fact rode it cross country- great bike! front brake single disc worked fine for me- maybe its because for years i rode bikes with front drum brakes hmmm

Comment

Working...
                  X