Luggage rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luggage rack

OK, not much XS-es on the boneyards here, so I have to make me a luggage rack.

Any info would be welcome... pics, diagrams, info on where your racks are bolted to the frame, stuff like that. I want to make mine sturdy, maybe even encorporate a backrest for the passanger in there somewhere. I have a topcase that can slide back on its mounting, so opening it is not a problem if a backrest is installed.

BTW: I'm making the rack for 3 hard cases.

Any info, diagrams, stuff like that can be e-mailed to me, if you cant post a pic here.

LP
    If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
    (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

I tawt I taw some XS expewts....

LP

Comment

XS1100 LUGGAGE RACK

THERE SEVERAL RACKS THAT WILL FIT YOUR BIKE ON EBAY RIGHT NOW.
      GOD BLESS
      SGTMAJOR <>< CMA

Comment

Thanx for the info, sgt, but if I buy one on ebay I'd probbably pay more for delivery than the thing is worth. I'm not from US, remember... well, not yet anyway... Unless US guys run out of retired generals lol

OK, lets not get into politics while I cant get my dirty socks in a bag on a bike.

LP

Comment

Speaking of this topic, when looking at E-bay, are there other models of bike who's rack will fit on our XS1100s?
          1979 XS1100 Special with 81 carbs

Richmond, Virginia, USA

Comment

SGTMJR,

I haven't seen them on ebay, can you point me in the right direction? I'd like to have something for my XJ when I get the saddle bags.

deo
            82 XJ1100 "Resurrected"
            Riding with the Son

Comment

Here is a set of rack brackets

1980 XS11 special rack - whole thing

There are others for 650's and other models. I search using the words "yamaha" and "rack" then try to ignore all the four wheeler racks.
              1979 XS1100 Special with 81 carbs

Richmond, Virginia, USA

Comment

OK, I want PICS, advice, where to make mountings, etc... I don't need ebay stuff cause the postage to EU will cost me more than the whole thing is worth.

So... Where to mount the rack for 3 cases, how/where do the bends go, how far from the exhaust, rear footpegs etc...

LP

Comment

LUGGAGE RACK

DEO
                  I JUST PUT IN "LUGGAGE RACK" IN SEARCH AND IT PULLS IT RIGHT UP.THERE IS A XJ ON THERE NOW,BUT IT IS ALREADY TOO HIGH.I GOT MINE FOR $45.00, NOT LONG AGO.JUST KEEP LOOKING.LOOK AT THE AD AND SEE THE OTHER APPLICATIONS.GOD BLESS,AND DON'T FORGET MAY 3rd.
                  SGTMAJOR <>< CMA

Comment

maybe do it yourself?

Hi Strom,

This was going to be a bit of a description, but I got logged out and the previous reply is lost, so here's the short version.
                    If you are handy, or have someone who is...

Use galvanised electrical conduit, approx 18mm. Cut the threaded end off and you've got raw material in around 2 metre lengths. It may be difficult to find this stuff these days, given that everything is plastic.

Bend and braise the tube as appropriate to the shape of your panniers and your top box or rear rack / bag, whatever.
                    Flatten and drill the tube to fit the studs or bolts, as needed.

Top front mount is the top shock mount.
                    Bottom front mount is the pillion peg bolt. From the lower front of the pannier frame, bent around the shocks.

Rear mount is the bolts for the rear mud guard pivot. A stay hangs down from there the to bottom rear of the pannier frame, acting as a spreader.

If you like I'll try and get some snappies to you. I'm totally incompetent with this posting stuff, so we'll have to see.

Mine was bulit by a mate and I in about 1983. It is able to be repaired or modified, as needed. It will go back on my bike as soon as it is finished and after all the use and abuse it's got, all it needs is to be powder coated and it will be as good as new.

cheers
                    Ray B

'80 G
                    '72 RD
                    Tiger 900 & LH sidecar

Comment

Thanks, Tiger9!

Thats what I was hoping for. I definetly intend on building my own rack for several reasons.
                      One is, that it's gonna be done properly.
                      Second, it's gonna be much more sturdy and rugged. Givi or any other commercial stuff usually have 3 kg and 120km/h limits. F*** that!
                      I have a topcase with holding plate, so I'll use that one, and I'll get some softbags for start, but I intend on building side cases. Nice and round so it should match the shape of the rear fender.

LP

Comment

Working...
                      X