New to me XS1100SH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to me XS1100SH

Just bought it tonight. Starts and runs great, no second or first gear issues. I am not to keen on the replacement seat, but will live with it till I can find an original.

Only issue besides typical carbs need adjustment is front brakes. Runs fine, but they grab and squeak at a spot or two in the revolutions. Warped rotor is my guess. Not sure how to figure which one without taking them to a shop to get turned. Figure I should rebuild calipers also. Not sure where to find the parts for reasonable price. Dealer can order them but $55 each just for the seals.

Would post a pic or two, but do not see how to.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Georgefix on eBay has the rebuild kits. Don't know if the rotors can be turned (stainless steel), but you'll find them on eBay from time to time, or member Andreas has used parts. Welcome!
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Welcome DGXSER

Bikerphil beat me to it. Georgefix on ebay is reasonable and delivery is quick.
      1980G Standard, Restored
      Kerker 4 - 1
      850 Rear End Mod
      2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
      Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
      Automatic CCT
      1980GH Special, Restored
      Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
      '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
      Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Here Goes

Trying to attach photos

Also hoping to repaint or remove the "blackout" someone put over the YAMAHA and ELEVEN SPECIAL emblems.
        Last edited by DGXSER; 11-17-2008, 10:27 PM.

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Congrats on the bike and welcome to the site. Tons of information here and people always willing to help if you have any problems. Check out www.partsnmore.com. They have caliper kits for around $14.
          Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
          '82 XJ1100
          '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Greetings and welcome.

There is no need to wonder about something here...Just ask...Someone here knows the answer or knows where to point you to find it.

Might look at this for the badges if they won't clean up.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...threadid=19774

Rodger
            RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Yep, nice bike

Nice machine.

Your problem might not be a warped rotor at all. My special did what yours is doing after I replaced the front pads. What I found out was that the long bolt up through the caliper was slightly bent (both sides). I noticed that when I was removing the bolt to see what the deal was that the rotor would rock slightly from side to side as I was unscrewing the bolt. If this happens then getting the caliper lined up well with the rotor is almost impossible. I went to the hardware store, got a new pair of high strength bolts with new nuts, etc. and replaced them. Problem was solved.
              Mike Giroir
              79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Don't know if the rotors can be turned (stainless steel)
                The rotors can be turned. You just have to take them to someone that knows what they're doing.
                Tim Ripley - Gaithersburg, MD
                1981 XS1100 Special "Spoiled Rotten" Just sold - currently bikeless!!
                23mm float height
                120 main jets
                42.5 pilot jets
                drilled stock airbox with K&N
                Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
                spade fusebox
                1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

If indeed you find the rotors to be warped, let me know, I owe a favor that I was told to pay to some one else. I have some rotors.

To find out if they are warped, use a travel indicator (dial indicator) mounted to the fork some where, and read the runout on the surface left by the pad. Not too sure about motorcycles but .002" on cars was pretty standard for acceptable runout. It had to get past about .015 before the pedal would pulse.

FWIW, my front brake squeaks incessantly. I have put the anti squeak membrane on the back of the pads, made sure all the rattle clips are in place, so I think I need to get new pads and see if they will help. Although the squeaking brakes just add to the effect of awe when you out gun some guy with a $12000 "chopper".
                  Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Thanks for the warm wlecome and great advice. I Know what I am doing this weekend.

Now to find a good dial indicator. Sears has one for $9, but that seems like a get what you pay for sort of thing. Front brakes on a bike is the last place I want to take chances.

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

Cleaned the "spooge" hole this evening and bled a little bit of fluid out of the calipers. It is not clean for sure. Going to clean the calipers and Will be pumping all new DOT 3 into the system this weekend.

After cleaning but before riding, front brakes grabbed noticably at certain points in tire rotation. After riding about 1 mile round trip, (its dang cold here) can barely tell they rub.

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

One down another found

Cleaned the "spooge" hole this evening and bled a little bit of fluid out of the calipers. It is not clean for sure. Going to clean the calipers and Will be pumping all new DOT 3 into the system this weekend.

After cleaning but before riding, front brakes grabbed noticably at certain points in tire rotation. After riding about 1 mile round trip, (its dang cold here) can barely tell they rub.

One other issue I discovered is the fuel petcock. It was turned to prime always. I turned it off to make sure I don't dump fuel into the engine when it is not running, turned to ON and the bike starves for fuel. Set it back to prime and all is well. Is this a sign of needing to rebuild the petcock?
                        Last edited by DGXSER; 11-19-2008, 04:31 PM.

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post

One other issue I discovered is the fuel petcock. It was turned to prime always. I turned it off to make sure I don't dump fuel into the engine when it is not running, turned to ON and the bike starves for fuel. Set it back to prime and all is well. Is this a sign of needing to rebuild the petcock?

Either that or someone switched the right and left label plates...
                          Tim Ripley - Gaithersburg, MD
                          1981 XS1100 Special "Spoiled Rotten" Just sold - currently bikeless!!
                          23mm float height
                          120 main jets
                          42.5 pilot jets
                          drilled stock airbox with K&N
                          Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
                          spade fusebox
                          1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

the $9 indicator will work fine. it isn't rocket science. You could do the same thing but taking the rotor off and laying it on a flat surface and using a feeler gage. Glass is the most flat surface common folk have. If you have a granite surface table, you probably have a dial indicator.
                            Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Hi DGXSER,
                              does your newly acquired bike still have it's "octopus" (central vacuum operated fuel valve) Those over-complifexed gadgets are notorious for not working properly &/or being hooked up all wrong. Some say they only need TLC but I'm with the "toss the thing and remember to turn the gas off" school. Further to what Ivan says, a $9 dial indicator would not do for professional machinist's work where it's in use every day because it'd wear out in a month. But for the limited use it'll see in the average bike owner's home shop, it'll work just fine. If it's the same deal as I see in Princess Auto, also get the $9 magnetic base that goes with it.
                              Fred Hill, S'toon
                              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                              X