No announcement yet.

XJ1100 Pitfalls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Partsnmore.com has many parts, but they don't sell the extra steel clutch plate! BikeBandit sells the steels, but folks on here have extras they are willing to send you, just ASK!
    CLUTCH SPRING KIT
    Fits: XJ1100 (1982) Maxim.1
    Made in Japan.

$16.00US /Kit

Part#39-1508
    CLUTCH PLATE - FRICTION DISK
    Fits: XJ1100 (82-84) Maxim
    8 pieces required

$5.00US EA.

Part#39-1133
    CHROME SIGNAL STEM
    Fits Front and Rear: XJ1100 (1982)

$5.00US EA.

Part#11-2166
    A problem with keeping the OEM airbox is finding or affording an OEM airfilter, I thought I read that they were NOT available anymore, again that 1 year production orphan thing!? There was a tech tip about being able to make your own cleanable one with a K&N insert and some glue, etc.!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I am in the process of developing a replacement option for the XJ1100 air filter.

Stay tuned...

Larry
      Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
      http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
      82 XJ1100
      80 XS1100G (Project bike)
      64 Yamaha YA-6
      77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
      See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

You have to feel the XJ was a transition bike. The original '78 XS11 was a fast and somewhat unrefined bike, offering blistering 1/4 mile speeds right off the showroom floor. By '81 Yamaha offered it in a full touring model, the '81H Venturer. By '82 (through '84 in other markets, yes, I did know that!) the XJ offered an LCD gauge cluster, solid-state ignition (also on the '81s) linked brakes, more whistles and bells such as the in-gear interlocks and brake fluid level sensors, and a suspension that could be set for both pre-load and damping.

By '82 Yamaha introduced the FJ as its muscle bike and the Venture as its touring bike, and was experimenting with V-twin technology. While many feel the XS11 power plant could have been further developed, it was clear that the basic technology, rooted in the mid-'70s, was outdated. Narrow tires, so-so brakes, 5-speed transmission, and handling that was not remarkable in its day were all part of the XS11 package. It was easier to start with a blank slate and develop new bikes around new engines. The end of the XS11 line was clearly in sight.

Having said that, I've owned my XJ for 9 years, and have enjoyed almost every minute of it. I think Yamaha put together a package in the XS11 that has held up remarkably well over the last 3 decades, performs well, and still, to my mind, looks good.

None the less, the XJ has a set of unique features that make it an 'interesting" bike to repair. Although it shares some of the features of the '81 models, the XJ is a somewhat different animal than the XS. Many major parts are interchangeable, but there are many differences in the electrical systems, braking systems, charging system, gauges, seat, carburation, and accessories.

By the way, there is, in a past thread, a good article about putting a K&N filter in the XJ air filter frame to make a less restrictive filter. MAXIMAN posted it:

A K&N Mod for an XJ
        Everyone knows K&N made a filter for the XS air box. And...everyone knows they didn't make one for the XJ.

Well since I'm doing a complete performance upgrade to Zilla I had to figure out a way to install a K&N filter without going to pods. I don't want pods on Zilla because it's my road bike. Occasionally on one of those 3000 mile road trips I'll get caught out in the rain. Besides I don't particularly care for the look of indivdual filters.

This is a very simple modification. I took an OEM breather and cut the paper element out leaving the metal frame.

Then I used a K&N "drop in" panel style filter that was very close to the dimensions of the OEM filter frame. The K&N number is 33-2586. I ordered direct from the K&N website.

The width was exact. But the length was slightly long by about 1/4 to 3/8 inch. I cut it to length and used RTV to seal it in the frame. Then I used JB Weld to reassemble the frame cross-member to the frame.
        Anyway, The Daily Show is on. Gotta run....
        Jerry Fields
        '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
        '06 Concours
        My Galleries Page.
        My Blog Page.
        "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

I have a clutch pack from an 80, I think.

I will donate a clutch steel to whom ever needs it, if they pm me.

For that matter I will donate all my extras, so if any one else needs one, pm me.

Also, I can make spacers for the springs if that is your fancy, I need the correct size pipe though, and I found that the spacer pipe that goes between the motor mounts and covers the long bolt is perfect. So if you want spring spacers, and have a pipe, pm me.
          Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Holy Crap!

Why would anyone have that air box on their bike after having to take the carbs out more than once?????

Got the bike home this afternoon and went after the carbs first thing.
            The PO had the air box loose....Even had the battery box loose. Still took me the better part of 3/4 hour to get the things out of there. Practice makes perfect?? I think I'm going to see how far I can pitch that thing at the landfill!! Has any one tried to whittle that box down to a size that will fit and be more user friendly?

Granted, I was trying to be VERY careful around some precious carb boots but man, that seems like a monster PITA. Like trying to get ten pounds of potatos in a five pound sack!

Guess I better keep a good stock of Early Times on hand.

TC...

Thanks. Those are exactly the things I will be needing.

Cobia...

The PO is looking for a couple of the parts removed in the attempt to remove the carbs. The little plastic door on the air cleaner you mentioned is one of them.

Looks as though there isn't much I need in the way of parts. Looks as though the fork seals need addressing but they look to be very similar to the Xs special. Same seals?? Bike also has an oil leak on the lower left side of the motor. I haven't fleshed that one out yet. Gaskets can be made.
            Looks as though I will be looking for both side covers. Po claims to know where they both are but I won't hold my breath for too long. Last thing I need to create is a hold down for the battery. Oh, and a new seat cover.

The saga is just begining... Thanks again for all the help.

Rodger
            RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Working...
            X