XJ1100 Pitfalls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trbig...
    I think you just explained why the carbs were just loose and not out. I looks like he got just that far and gave in.

Ivan...
    I've looked over the "2nd gear fix" several times just in case I needed it for the FS. Don't know what made me think it might be different on the XJ.
    Do I understand that you put in the extra steel plate in the clutch package and then wound up taking it out? Is the second gear "skip" solved by something less involved than the dremel excercise or am I just dreaming.

Yahman...
    No getting away from those carbs is there?

Rodger
    RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Originally posted by latexeses View Post
      trbig...
      I think you just explained why the carbs were just loose and not out. I looks like he got just that far and gave in.

Ivan...
      I've looked over the "2nd gear fix" several times just in case I needed it for the FS. Don't know what made me think it might be different on the XJ.
      Do I understand that you put in the extra steel plate in the clutch package and then wound up taking it out? Is the second gear "skip" solved by something less involved than the dremel excercise or am I just dreaming.

Yahman...
      No getting away from those carbs is there?

Rodger
      As far as the dremel fix is concerned...I did the tranny fix with lots of help from Randy and TC.It was my choice to buy all new factory backcut gears and just swap out the old ones.Yamaha still makes these and with the backcutting already done the tranny will last the rest of the bikes life or mine whichever goes firstIf money is not an issue for you then I'd go this route...it did save a few hours and extra work. I still had a few other issues but all in all I'm very pleased with the results.
      1980 XS650G Special-Two
      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

latexeses, The first thing that I did after getting my carbs and air-box removed was to get rid of that #%@!& air-box assembly.

This is what I did to solve the problem. I was able to use some of the old air-box mounts to support the new assembly.

Larry
        Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
        http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
        82 XJ1100
        80 XS1100G (Project bike)
        64 Yamaha YA-6
        77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
        See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

I did the dremel fix for the gear popping out of second.

I put the extra steel in the clutch because it slipped. Being a machinist, it was only a matter of time before I could make some shims for the springs. Even with the extra steel, it would slip on occasion. Now, it doesn't at all. The steel is about .060" and the shims I made were .200
          Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Ivan..
            I really don't know if the clutch will be a problem. I reeeally hope.
            The clock works and it only shows a bit over 11k miles. Thanks for the plate and shim dims. Any oil sugestions for the XJ that is any different from the XS?
            I made it a policy long ago to solder and shrink tube anything wiring whenever I could. Saved a bunch of grief.

Yahman...
            Wasn't there an entire thread about your pod boots? Or was it in a thread about someone who had non-K&N filters? and the boots were blocking something. Breather hole or something.
            Did individual pods open up a jet problem in the carbs after the change?

madmax-im...
            Money is sort of an issue for expensive parts. If you are talking about eating bologna and cheese for a month or two. Right now I haven't even picked it up though and need to flesh the whole thing out before I start spending anything. I'm am grateful to know my options.

Rodger

Everything on hold...

Comment

Originally posted by latexeses View Post
              Yahman...
              Wasn't there an entire thread about your pod boots? Or was it in a thread about someone who had non-K&N filters? and the boots were blocking something. Breather hole or something.
              Did individual pods open up a jet problem in the carbs after the change?
              Yes that photo was in another thread. There is no blockage going into the carbs because there are velocity stacks in between them and the pod filters. I made them from some PVC fittings that had the right ID for the carb opening. Then I turned them down on a lathe until I had the right OD (54mm). They are about 2 3/4" long. I mounted them all together with a clamp made from plywood. The complete assembly hangs from the upper air-box mount, using the original bracket. I painted it with black paint and clear lacquer.

Attached to the bottom of the velocity stack assembly is a fuel supply manifold made from a piece of aluminum and some fittings. It makes the connections easier to deal with. It also gives me some extra fuel hose length. Then I can adjust the carbs by just lifting up the tank. I can take more photos if you want to see more details.

Larry
              Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
              http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
              82 XJ1100
              80 XS1100G (Project bike)
              64 Yamaha YA-6
              77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
              See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

Yahman...

Just the little bit I got to monkey with the bike yesterday I can see something needs to be done about that airbox. Looks like Yahaha welded the tubes of the frame around the darned thing. Not very handy.
                I am headed to pick the bike up tomorrow and have a bunch of work out of town this weekend. Won't really get to dig into it until next week. It's about 78deg. here today. First part of next week it will probably be raining. Oh well.

If you have some photos of the project I would love to be able to refer to them. But don't take anything apart to take them! I can follow written instructions pretty well. I just ask alot of questions.

Did the pods require re-jetting the carbs? Are those pods K&N? Just trying to figure out if I should be looking out for anything special.

This XJ looks to be alot closer to being on the road than the SF so I may as well be riding one while I am tinkering on the other.

Rodger

Everything on hold...

Comment

Hey Latexeses,

I did the Dremmel on my 81, and have done it on 2 other XJ's, and have found that the later models tend to loose 1st gear first, and then 2nd as well. The fix is doable, but does require a bit of mechanical perserverance!

There was a recent MOD posted about using the OEM air box velocity stacks, and mounting the generic pod filters onto the fittings, removing the rubber flange/mount from the pods, and squeezing them onto the airbox stacks that mount to the carbs. Yes, the generic pods(EMGO) have restrictive lips on the mounting area, but don't cause a problem when mounted using some type of velocity stack, and these stacks help to straighten out the air flow and can help regain some of the lost low end grunt that normally occurs when you put on pod filters and aftermarket pipes! Pod filters can cause a leaning and rejetting "may" be required. I put on 4-1 pipes when I first got my bike NEW, kept the airbox, and never rejetted for 9 years, no holes in pistons, power to redline, etc.! But after rebore, with Indy filters and 4-1 pipes, I went up 3 jet sizes.

As for the clutch, at the least, you'll want to put in NEW SPRINGS. Like you said, IF the clock is right, 12K isn't that much, and the frictions may well be in spec, but the springs will most definitely be SPRUNG!! The springs are like $10-20 a set, you can make your own clutch cover gasket. You can get new frictions for about $5.00 each, x 8 = $40, but if pinching pennies is needed, then just springs.
                  Good Luck! T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks TC..

This bike most definitely has the original exhaust. Looks to be in real good shape too.

I remember reading the thread about the pods. Just don't remember quite where I saw it. About a month and a half ago if I remember correctly? I'll check the mods to see if I still have a memory. Didn't plan on needing it for the SF. I was going to use a K&N replacement for the original filter to keep the airbox. This XJ is a different beast. I am anal about checking the breathers on my vehicles. I hate the thought of grit getting through the carb and in the system. I like to check them on a regular basis and that XJ system might make me check less often.

By "later models" when you are talking about 1st/2nd gear problems, do you mean the 82 and older XJ's vs. 79-81 XS's.

Is there a number somewhere for the spring kit? I assume it is a Mike'sXS purchace?

Are the complete clutch pacs the same for the XJ and the XS's???? $40.00 plus the springs won't have me eating bologna and cheese for very long.

Again thanks for all of the information.

Rodger
                    Last edited by latexeses; 11-17-2008, 11:33 PM.

Everything on hold...

Comment

With that many miles on the bike.. by that I mean with that FEW.. I am betting the discs are well within spec. Personally, if it were me, I'd see if a member would donate an extra steel plate, or you can buy one for @ $8 I think, and get some new springs. That will firm things up a bunch even if the fibers are worn a bit. That would be the cheapest route anyway..

When TC mentioned the older versus newer, he meant the 78-79, versus the 80-81 XS and the XJ's. 99% of the internal engine stuff for the XJ will interchange with the later XS's. The pistons and cams were different between the earlier and later models, but everything from the piston pins down to the crank, and from the crank back to the final drive.. including all the gears and clutch parts... will fit ALL the bikes.

I order a lot from Partsnmore.com, but there is a minimum order there. You can find that broken signal lense there also... or maybe it was the whole assembly? Don't remember.

Tod
                      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100
                      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Air filter

Hey Latexeses,
                        You are totally right about the difficulty in getting the carbs out from the XJ configuration. It's really a PITA. BUT, checking the conditon of the air filter is a lot easier on the XJ than on the XS.
                        There is a cover on the left side of the airbox that is held on by 2 or 3 screws and once removed you have complete access to the air filter. It's tricky until you figure it out. There is a plastic bar with a locking tab that pushes the filter up to seal it against the housing, but once you figure out how to remove that bar underneath it the filter slides out readily.
                        Hope that helps.
                        1980G Standard, Restored
                        Kerker 4 - 1
                        850 Rear End Mod
                        2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                        Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                        Automatic CCT
                        1980GH Special, Restored
                        Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                        '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                        Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Cobia..

Thanks, that does help. No need to fight all of the windmills.

Trbig..

The lense is fine the arm is broke right at the headlight.

Thanks guys.

Rodger

Everything on hold...

Comment

Latexses:

The XJ is similar to the XS, but does have some significant differences. Some have been mentioned so far, some have not. I went for an XJ as I liked what I perceive to be its advantages:
                            Larger fuel tank than the Specials but with Special-inspired styling.
                            Air adjustable front and rear suspensions.
                            Handlebars adjust for height and width.
                            Linked braking system, also found on some '81 models. Some people don't like it, I do. Can be un-linked if you wish.
                            Lower seat height.
                            Due to reinforced frame head (near steering bearings) and built-in fork brace the XJ handles a bit better than a stock XS.
                            Solid-state ignition, early 11s have a mechanical advance and the pickup-wires frequently break. Solid-state is more reliable if you are on the road a lot or take long trips.

A couple things that are different but not better:
                            YICS system, makes the XJ the slowest of the 1100 series.
                            85mph speedo.
                            Square handlebars makes fitting some accessories a bit harder.
                            Shorter seat makes angle between knees and footpegs a little sharper. Stock angle is not as good for long-haul riding.
                            Electronics are far more complicated, has various interlocks to prevent you from starting the bike while it is in gear or riding off with the kickstand down. Good ideas but makes tracking electrical gremlins more frustrating.
                            Lack of aftermarket manuals. There is no Clymers or Hayes manuals for the XJ. You ned to get, either printed or on CD, a Yamaha manual to really work on the bike, particularly for the wiring diagrams.
                            Battery uses a fluid sensor level. Sensor can be bypassed, or use a battery with a sensor, else you will get a red warning light on all the time. (See differences in electrical, above.)
                            Ignition module made for 1 year only, is a bit of an orphan and replacements are hard to find / expensive if you need one. Same is true of some other parts, the XJ was a 1-year only bike and some parts are hard to find. Kickstand side switch is an example of a part made obsolete by Yamaha. It can be jumped around or cut open and repaired, but not replaced.
                            Not a lot of accessories out there for the XJ.

All in all the XJ is a nice bike, but a bit slower and a bit more complicated then any of the XS models.
                            Jerry Fields
                            '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                            '06 Concours
                            My Galleries Page.
                            My Blog Page.
                            "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
                              Latexses:

A couple things that are different but not better:
                              YICS system, makes the XJ the slowest of the 1100 series.
                              Same is true of some other parts, the XJ was a 1-year only bike and some parts are hard to find. Kickstand side switch is an example of a part made obsolete by Yamaha. It can be jumped around or cut open and repaired, but not replaced.
                              Not a lot of accessories out there for the XJ.

All in all the XJ is a nice bike, but a bit slower and a bit more complicated then any of the XS models.
                              I agree with all you've said with the exception being that the XJ was made for 2 more years for the Canadian and European market.
                              1980 XS650G Special-Two
                              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Don't forget the equilized front forks/suspension
                                Dan
                                Current Rides: '82 XJ w/Jardine 4-1's, GIVI flyscreen, '97 Triumph Trophy 1200
                                Former Rides: '71 CB350, '78 400 Hawk, '75 CB550/4;
                                while in Japan: '86 KLR250, '86 VT250Z, '86 XL600R, '82 CB450(Hawk II), '96 750 Nighthawk, '96 BMW F650

Comment

Working...
                                X