XJ1100 Pitfalls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ1100 Pitfalls

I am still flogging the 79 SF and today someone waved an 82 XJ in front of my face that has sat for 5 years. If the Serial number range in the FAQ is correct it is bike number 910.
    The present owner said that when he put the gas to the carb one of them was leaking. Looks like it has the dreaded octy? He started to take the carbs out of the bike to clean them and I think must have been overwhelmed.
    My question is this...
    Is the XJ a completely different learning curve or are they similar enough to the XS'S to keep me sane.
    I don't know about any electrical deamons or ignition issues. Any special clutch or transmission woes? Bike odometer reads 11,000 miles and change.
    I know about the front/rear brake balancing act. Read some about it in the posts a while back.
    Is there anything different from the XS to worry about?
    The bike just looks dirty. No major rust. Been outside but under cover.
    I'm sure it's all been talked about here before but I only have a short time to get back to this guy about the purchace. It is a lost title and had tags as late as 2005. Fellow is moving and needs to get things cleaned up.
    Any advice would be helpful.
    Oh, I didn't mention that it is really cheap.
    Thanks for any help,
    Rodger
    RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

It will be only slightly different than your XS. If you had a 80's XS it would be even closer. The main difference will be the XJ's vacuum-less advance system, slightly different (more powerful) stator/alternator, and the YICS (which is no big deal because you can block it off to make it just like the XS). Other than those things (which are minor), not that different.

On a side note. I talked to a guy a while back who worked at Yamy dealer when the 11's and XJ's were coming out and he RECOMMENDED that I take my XS and link all the vacuum nipples together with vacuum tubing to make it like the YICS.
    Last edited by 81xsproject; 11-16-2008, 08:03 PM.
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

I don't want to sound like I just fell off the turnip wagon but what is the YICS and why block it off?
      Last edited by latexeses; 11-16-2008, 08:06 PM.

Everything on hold...

Comment

I guess the YICS is what I thought was the nasty mess of a fuel delivery system found on the SF? What looked like the octy to me.

Everything on hold...

Comment

YICS is a type of emission control. By-pass it.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Hi, I have an XJ 1100 number 675 I think and it's a dream machine. The YIC's is just a tube that is apart of the cylinder assembly that joins up the intake manifolds. It supposedly evens out the intake vacuum across the board. And also promotes the swirling of intake gas into the combustion chamber. Therefore better fuel efficiency. I had a friend with the XS and the machines are virtually identical. Just cosmetic differences as far as I am concerned. Oh and you have to put a YIC's tool in the bore of the tube to separate the intakes so that you can synchronize the carbs individually. For if the YIC's wasn't blocking the vacuum from the other carbs that would affect the adjustment you make to any particular carburetor. I hope that made sense. Check out the pics of my bike that I just posted.

http://www.xs11.com/members/member-p...g2_itemId=5398

I hope that helps you out.
            '65 Yamaha 80cc YG-1
            '67 Yamaha 350cc R-1
            '79 Kawasaki KZ-1000
            '82 Yamaha XJ-1100
            '86 Harley FXSTC 1340cc
            Sold the Harley and kept the XJ
            '82 XJ Guy

Comment

This thread will explain the YICS system and tell you how to eliminate it.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19708

Larry
              Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
              http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
              82 XJ1100
              80 XS1100G (Project bike)
              64 Yamaha YA-6
              77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
              See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

I have "the dreaded octy" and think it is actually a good device. I repaired mine and it works flawlessly. Simple enough to take apart, hone the sealing surfaces flat, and re assemble. I used a bit of permatex 1A around the edges of the membrane to aid in sealing. The only other thing I did was replace the small o ring that seals the fuel flow. I honestly don't understand why they get such a bad rap. They are very simple and cheaper to fix than a leaky petcock.
                Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Thank you, gentlemen all.

Yahman..
                  I think (after several very well made margaritas) I understand the YICS system. Really, I'm just being polite. I think I know how to reduce the grief.

I feel pretty good that nobody got on a rant about a lousy electrical system (Electricity is magic). Also I am glad nobody said anything about a lousy clutch or trans.

81,Phil Ivan, Vanman....
                  Thanks for the input. Sounds like the XJ is just the same, only different.

I hope to get one of these things on the road one these days and actually meet up with some of you.

For two c's I just cant pass on this one. It is just in too good o'shape. The only thing I can see missing is one side cover and front blinker light (one is broke). I'm sure I can't get off that easy but for now it looks pretty good.

I am always ready to listen to anyone who has any input.

My father always said "when things get tough, go to the guys with the skins on the wall".

You folks are the best.
                  Thanks, and I appreciate anything you can add that might steer me to the path of XS/XJ enlightenment.
                  I really hate staring at my bike, hoping for a vision when something is wrong.

Does that work for anyone else???

Rodger

Everything on hold...

Comment

The YICS system was only used in North America, emision controls were needed so that they could sell them over here. The YICS system kills the bottom end, I have know doubt that it helps at the top end of the rpm's but that's it. Without the YICS sytem it's just like all other motorcycles and it really runs much better. I have had my YICS system pluged for a couple of hunderd miles now and I have seen a 1 to 2 mpg improvement in mileage. The YICS system is simply not needed and it is easily disabled with the YICS Eliminator.

Larry
                    Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
                    http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
                    82 XJ1100
                    80 XS1100G (Project bike)
                    64 Yamaha YA-6
                    77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
                    See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

electricity is easy as long as you don't use scotch-locks.

As for the trans and clutch, don't do a search on "second gear fix" or "extra steel", which I had to do both on mine. Ended up taking the extra steel out of the clutch and machining some .200" spacers for the clutch springs. It holds now.

Comment

All the YICS does is help equalize the carbs a bit and average them out. If you took it off, went to go have an emissions test and had one problem carb, it's going to fail. With them somewhat linked, it just keeps the average better to stay within specs longer. If your carbs are sychronized correctly, there will be no difference with or without the YICS.

If you get better mileage without it, then you more than likely have a carb or two running lean, and it was doing it's job. The YICS doesn't do anything for or against performance... unless you count it helping out poorly tuned carbs. It certainly doesn't help out since the XJ was considered the slowest of the bunch.

I will add that the XJ is a #%$*! to get carbs in and out of. On the XS, you can loosen the air box and get some wiggle room. Loosening the XJ air box only gives you loose bolts... the box doesn't move. So you end up doing a lot of wrenching and prying on expensive old rubber boots. That's why a lot of guys go to the pod filters on the XJ's.

As far as the Octy goes, most remove it because of the PITA it is to take off and put back on every time the carbs get worked on. With the XJ, since you are already fighting the boots and airbox.. that's just one more thing to make you cuss. I removed it because it makes it look like a jumbled mess on the left side of the bike. The XJ has an OFF position on the petcocks, so if you place them to off when you're done riding, you should be ok. If they start leaking, then your float valves should stop it. If you need a third backup in case your float valves aren't sealing.. you aren't paying enough attention to your bike, Ivan!

Tod
                        Last edited by trbig; 11-17-2008, 07:41 AM.
                        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100
                        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

If they start leaking, then your float valves should stop it. If you need a third backup in case your float valves aren't sealing.. you aren't paying enough attention to your bike, Ivan!
                          My petcock on the left side leaks in the off position. My #4 carb randomly doesn't seal. I have spent many hours trying to figure out why. The float floats, it doesn't bind up and catch, the needle seals, but once in every 20 times I park it, it leaks. So I fixed the octy.

As far as paying attention to my bike, well SWMBO nick named it "The Other Woman". Hope that explains it.

Comment

"My petcock on the left side leaks in the off position."

So quit just standing around, looking at, and fondling your other woman. Fix it! lol.

"Ehh.. I know something isn't right... but piss on it.. the octy will catch it. " lol.

I agree.. sometimes the octy should be left on.

Tod
                            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                            '06 Suzuki DR650
                            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                            '81 XS1100 Special
                            '81 YZ250
                            '80 XS850 Special
                            '80 XR100
                            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                              "My petcock on the left side leaks in the off position."

So quit just standing around, looking at, and fondling your other woman. Fix it! lol.

"Ehh.. I know something isn't right... but piss on it.. the octy will catch it. " lol.

I agree.. sometimes the octy should be left on.

Tod
                              Well, a guy has to prioritize. I fixed the octy, in case the other petcock starts leaking.

If I was goin to do things right, I would have used a clothes pin on the fuel line. Have you ever had a clothes pin fail? I didn't think so.

Comment

Working...
                              X