A Great Day to Ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Great Day to Ride

This thread is in response to an email I reccieved.On my ST-Owners forum there is a vendor who can re-foam and re-shape stock seats to make them more comfortable.He can raise it or lower it.Lower by no more than an inch.Higher...prolly an inch+.His work is excellent and his prices wont cost you an arm and a leg.In his response to my request he says that he could redesign my '82 Maxim's seat...using the existing seat pan and cover.The cover has to be in good condition as he does not do re-covering.He has several mods that can be done.The one I am interested in is the "LD" mod.Which can add a reshaped cushion with gel foam to contour to your specs.He is thorough and meticulous in paying attention to your details.If by chance it isnt right..he stands by his work and will re-do it often at no extra charge.I highly reccommend this gentelman.You can find his website here www.greatdaytoride.com

and you can email him at spencersmotocare@aol.com.His name is Frank but people typically call him Spencer.Either way this gentleman is a pleasure to work with.I am still communicating with him abt doing this,but he initially said he felt he could do it.He also said that he routinely works on oldre seat pans and anything that can be done to late model seats he can do to 20+ yr old seats.I will update my progress as I know more.BTW I believe this modification to cost between $75-$100!And it is worth every penny.He did my '95 ST1100 seat last year.It saved me hundreds of $$$.
    Last edited by madmax-im; 11-16-2008, 05:01 PM.
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Heres the latest...after a couple of emails back and forth...I sent the Maxim seat out today...he told me his turn around time is 24-36 hours!It will cost me $75 for the materials and workmanship...and another $60 bucks to ship both ways...so for a total of $135 I will essentially get a new and much improved stock seat.If this seat comes out like the one he did for my ST1100 last year..I will be in heaven and so will my butt...If anyone is considering spending big bucks on an aftermarket seat...I urge you to give Spencers a try...I'm certain you'll not regret it.
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Got an email from Spencers and he had the seat in 2 days and it took him 24 hrs to turn it around and back out the door...but the holiday has delayed the delivery ...supposed to get it this coming Mon.though.Total cost was $135 as posted above.Y'all can afford this
      1980 XS650G Special-Two
      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Gee the whole thread to myself

Well folks I got my seat back from Spencers and all I can say is WOW...no more downhill slipping and sliding off the back of the seat.He refoamed and reshaped the middle part of the seat so that I sit and stay where I put myself...it will take some breaking in and will get better with more use.As of now though I can already see and feel the improvement! But no one is saying anything so I feel you are all lost and I'm just blowin it out my @$$.
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

comfy

Glad you are happy with the results of your newly reconditioned seat Madmax-im. Does it have a heater too?
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Phil...no but believe it or not one could be added.The guy is in Palm City FL.I just dont need the heat...LOL I'm already a metabolic heater on my own.I posted this in case anyone wanted a cheap but viable option for improving their seat.With the kind of bucks one could spend on an aftermarket seat this option is well worth it.
            1980 XS650G Special-Two
            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Hey Ben, good to know about this guy in Palm City. That's close to me (1 hr.) and right up the road from Cobia. Might give him some biz some time in the future.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

prolly
                I'm intrigued by this spelling of the word probably. Interesting. Do you also pronounce it this way? I have an interest in liguistics and word origins.
                Tim Ripley - Gaithersburg, MD
                1981 XS1100 Special "Spoiled Rotten" Just sold - currently bikeless!!
                23mm float height
                120 main jets
                42.5 pilot jets
                drilled stock airbox with K&N
                Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
                spade fusebox
                1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

Originally posted by XSPastor View Post
                  I'm intrigued by this spelling of the word probably. Interesting. Do you also pronounce it this way? I have an interest in liguistics and word origins.
                  Tim dunno where I picked this up from but its slang for problably.Heard it used more prevelantly in the south and mid-west...its pronounced as its spelled...The year I moved to southern MO the first time I pulled into a gas station with my Father the attendant asked him "Hows' Ya Awwwl?"...meaning oil..my pop says we awwls' fine Thankyou... A gentlemen on my Honda forum uses prolly all the time...he is in AZ but originally from the midwest...he also says Tars for Tires
                  Last edited by madmax-im; 12-03-2008, 08:22 AM.
                  1980 XS650G Special-Two
                  1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by XSPastor View Post
                    Hi Tim,
                    in some parts of the USA earl is a lubricant and oil is a rank in the English peerage.
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

If you wanna hear some funny tawkin yooz guys should come to new yawk.

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
                        If you wanna hear some funny tawkin yooz guys should come to new yawk.
                        fugggeadabouditt..theres a flaw on the flawrI'm from Lunguyland
                        1980 XS650G Special-Two
                        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

You guys are funny!
                          Tim Ripley - Gaithersburg, MD
                          1981 XS1100 Special "Spoiled Rotten" Just sold - currently bikeless!!
                          23mm float height
                          120 main jets
                          42.5 pilot jets
                          drilled stock airbox with K&N
                          Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
                          spade fusebox
                          1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

Working...
                          X