oil pan bolt stripped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil pan bolt stripped

OK well it is not the oil pan bolt but the pan it self. I was changing the oil to get it ready to store for the season and when i took of the bolt there was metal wrapped around the bolt Now i am having a hard time getting the bolt on there real tight. with my finger i can feel that the threads go back further then the bolt actually goes. So does that mean i could just get a longer bolt? any help would be awesome
    1979 XS1100 SF
    1981 KZ440 bobber

You might drop andreasweiss a pm to see how much a used pan is.

A longer bolt may hold for a while, but in the end you are putting a steel bolt in an aluminum pan and you'll need all the thread you can get.

Another option would be a helicoil, or a keensert to repair the threads.

It is my humble but accurate opinion that the oversized oil plugs they sell at pats stores are a joke. Supposedly they cut new threads, but I have replaced many engines on the sole account of these dastardly inventions. Don't get me started on emergency battery cable ends either.
    Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Yes you can use a longer bolt if it has enough thread to hold it.Otherwise you can helicoil it.
      80 SG XS1100
      14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

bike bandit has the oil pan new for 135ish... Is there any place cheaper?
        1979 XS1100 SF
        1981 KZ440 bobber

Comment

oil pan

I've gone the longer bolt approach before and it didn't work out the greatest. Try member andreas or eBay... HTH

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1979-...Q5fAccessories
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

How about just tapping it out to the next closest size standard thread drain plug? You may not even have to drill the hole out, the stripped out threads in the pan may be a big enough hole to run the tap into.

Comment

Autoparts stores carry oversized drain plugs. I used one in a pan for a long time. No need to even tap it.. it threads itself. I used a metric one, but since you're re-threading it, it really doesn't matter as long as it's big enough to get a hold of some meat on the pan.

Tod
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

oil pan

I have a good used oil pan for you, please use the private message system to reply to me please. thanx andreas

Comment

Working...
                X