X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xs1100 specs vs fj1100 specs

the wheelbase on xs is 60 '" the rake is 29 degrees trail 5.1 "
    the wheelbase on fj is 58.5" the rake is 30 degrees trail 4.4

so the purpose is to say that the xs is not doomed to never handle it just needs a different fork and a r1 shock in the back xschop i will admit that the shaft is not a plus but it's not the end of the world either. i'm just about done writing the fj conversion just need to take some more photos hopefully some good ones .

ps the fj is considered by many to be one of the best ever
    bill hane

Originally posted by snowdog51 View Post
    the wheelbase on xs is 60 '" the rake is 29 degrees trail 5.1 "
    the wheelbase on fj is 58.5" the rake is 30 degrees trail 4.4

so the purpose is to say that the xs is not doomed to never handle it just needs a different fork and a r1 shock in the back xschop i will admit that the shaft is not a plus but it's not the end of the world either. i'm just about done writing the fj conversion just need to take some more photos hopefully some good ones .

ps the fj is considered by many to be one of the best ever
    I had 2 FJs' and they both were torque monsters.Pulled like some hopped up tractors!Handling was excellent...but I hated the buzziness/vibrtaions coming thru the handlbars...it was enough to numb my hands and forearms.Sold 'em for that reason.Funny how I never got that from any XS or XJ...kinda wondered why...as the FJ is considered the next step in the evolution from the XS/XJs'.It prolly had to do with the engine mounts...and how well they dampened vibes...I'm sure someone here could come up with a more definitive answer.
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

they just did an article on the fj in motorcycle classics sept/oct issue. it's a good read. the guy has owned his since new. it's a very nice bike. i was going to post on here before about it. they quote 535 dry weight claimed 125 hp@9000 rpm's they quote a 10.68 1/4 mile @ 125.34 they go on to say in the same paragraph it weighs more than 570 with a full tank of gas and only measures around 102hp to the wheels.... so now my question is with the weight almost the same as an xs and hp really only being 102 to the wheels how come a lightened modified xs or xj not break into the 10's very easily.
      i would love to take my bike to the track or have it dyno'd. i have no centerstand, no airbox, i have a kerker 4-1, jetted, mike's pods, fox shocks tkat brace xj slotted rotors and i weigh 170 plus the bike has low miles. if i was good enough at launching could i not break into high 10's or really low 11's i am sure my xs or anyone else's with a 4-1 no airbox, slotted rotors and no centerstand weighs less than a stock fj11 so if the fj weighs more and only has 102 and run's mid 10's then theoretically would a lighter xs with around 80 ponies to the wheels not be close to the same? oh don't forget i have new factory yamaha emblems. i have one on each side of the tank and one on the seat cowl... this should give me about 15 hp... 5 for each sticker.

if you haven't looked at the article you should check it out. the bike look's awesome! he even has maching horns to go with the paint scheme...
      " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
      xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
      8mm msd wires
      tkat fork brace...
      Fox shocks...
      mikes650 front fender
      led's gallore...
      renthal bars
      gold valve emulators
      vmax tensioner
      Rifle fairing

Comment

fj

the simple true is a fj won't run in the tens even with the best driver alot of the magazine times are corrected times
        bill hane

Comment

xs vs fj

Personally, If I were drag racing, I would opt for an XS engine with the two valve per cyl. design rather than the FJ which has 4-valves/cyl. designed for top-end power. I haven't seen anything here or elsewhere discussing the crank design difference between the two. I have always heard that the XS crank is the shizzle hands down, which would make for a great drag-strip motor.
          MDRNF
          79F.....Not Stock
          80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

xs

the xs in the day with chain conv. was a drag champ at natoinals cranks in fj is simalar to xs i've read
            bill hane

Comment

Wildkat owns an FJ11, and I can tell you from experience that the engine is a torque monster, and a high revver. The acceleration very smooth, and it seems the power is non stop. I'd love to be able to fit that engine to a nekkid street bike of that era. The Sport/touring riding position is very uncomfortable for me, but that engine in a frame like ours...
              There were two instances that she went by me at 135 mph, and that was about my bike had in it. She said she was doing 145 when she went by me. It seemed like she just reached over and turned off my ignition switch as she blew by.
              Concerning the crank, it also used the same main bearings as our xs11's. She replaced her bearings last year from my stash of xs11 bearings. The bottom end of the FJ should be as strong as ours, I would think.
              Last edited by John; 11-14-2008, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X