XJ 1100 Fuel Leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ 1100 Fuel Leaking

Well, I hope this isnt redundant. I have found a lot of XS petcocks, floats etc, but I feel like my stuff is different especially the petcocks so I am looking for some advice. I also found gas basically pouring out of the outside left air intake one night. I have taken both the petcock and separate diaghram apart to check for dirt and leaks, but I cant find any. I also have taken the carb apart and the needle float and main float are both really clean. The carbs were recently cleaned but I dont think the hardware was replaced.
    I have ordered the new needle float just in case, but a friend of mine thought that the diaghram would have a hole in it, but I couldnt find one. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!
    XJ1100

leak

[QUOTE=twojakesshort;184447] thought that the diaghram would have a hole in it, but I couldnt find one. QUOTE]

If you mean the diaphram, you can just hold it up to the light, and you will see a hole if there is one. That wouldn't make the carbs overflow. Did you check the o-rings on the float valves? They are known for leaking. Also, the float might be dropping too low. There is a tang on the float to adjust that. Check the o-rings first. Take out the phillips screw and the hold down clip, pull the seat out with a pliars, and you'll see it. HTH
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by twojakesshort View Post
      Well, I hope this isnt redundant.

The carbs were recently cleaned but I dont think the hardware was replaced.
      I have ordered the new needle float just in case, but a friend of mine thought that the diaghram would have a hole in it, but I couldnt find one. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!
      Hey TwoJakes,

WHO did the cleaning? How were they cleaned, with carb spray cleaner, or SOAKING in carb cleaner=a NO NO!

The viton tipped Float Needles do wear out after a while, get a groove in the end, and the rubber can get hard, all leading to improper sealing, leaks!

I hope you are replacing ALL of the float needles, not just the one in the offending carb?

The petcocks are the same as the later Specials. The rubber large multiported washer/valve also ages, shrinks, and can leak. The wavy washer also can get slightly sprung flat. It's also been suggested to polish the surface of the metal valve that slides/rubs against the rubber valve. Rebuild kits are easily available on Ebay...GeorgeFix seller for one!

So...yes, you have 2 problems, leaking petcocks, and leaking float needles/seats and possibly the seat O-ring as was mentioned in previous reply!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
      X