Does anyone know....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know....

Is there a difference in the triple trees between standards and specials?
    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
    Drilled airbox
    Tkat fork brace
    Hardly mufflers
    late model carbs
    Newer style fuses
    Oil pressure guage
    Custom security system
    Stainless braid brake lines

I found out that the hole locatings are different. I think there is more of an offset in the special triple trees. I now have a couple of them, one of each I think.
    1979XS1100SF
    K&N's and drilled airbox
    Jardine 4in1
    Dunlop Elite 3's
    JBM slide diaphragms
    142.5 main jets
    45 pilot jets
    T.C.'s fusebox & SOFA
    750/850 FD mod.
    XV 920 Needle Mod.
    Mike's XS plastic floats set at 26mm
    Venture Cam Chain Tensioner

Comment

I may get this wrong (AGAIN), but I know Fredintoon will straighten me out if I do, but maybe I won't mess it up.

The Special actually has LESS offset, due to the leading axle design, it positions the forks closer to the steering center line to help maintain the same Trail as the Standard....it's axle is at the bottom of the axle, and so it has more of an offset positioning the forks a little farther away from the steering neck. IIRC Fred stated that they used to put Standard Triple Trees on their specials to get a reduction in Trail for their sidecar rigs, moving the special axle more forward away from the steering neck actually reduces trail and makes steering them easier!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Triple tree

I've had Special forks on my Standard, in the Standard trees before. The steering seemed easier but not as stable at higher speeds. I thought it looked pretty like that. The standard calipers are much better, so I switched back to normal set-up. My Standard front fender is now drilled to fit either fork.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Hi TC,
          yeah, you got it exactly right. Standard 'trees are longer so they hold the fork tubes further forward than the Special 'trees. Sidecar operators who have the misfortune to use a tug other than a 750 or larger XS series Yamaha have to pay upwards of $900 for a Steerite conversion to their 'trees to get the same result.
          Note that you can get the same trail reduction on a Standard by swapping in the fork tubes & sliders from a Special but that costs more in used parts and you have to live with the Special's Weird Harold front calipers afterwards.
          Jetmech Marty claimed you could get EXTREME trail reduction by fitting a Special upper 'tree and keeping the Standard's lower 'tree. His described installation methodology involved using a pickup truck, a comealong and an oak tree to warp things into alignment and I think he was joshing me.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
          X