Engine Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Rebuild

Hey guys im putting an 1179 Kit in my 11 and going to K&N filter.
    First question who is best to deal with for rejetting the carbs?
    Second Question and prefernces on who sels the best Big Bore kit for these bikes. and one last thing i found teh new friction plates for teh clutch but who sells the extra steel plate?

Thanks John
    79 XS1100SF 750 FD,Galfer Brake lines,ebc brake pads,Cross Drilled Rotors,TKat fork brace,bead blasted wheels repainted and polished
    80 XS1100 S Project gonna be a hot rod
    06 CBR1000RR sold!!!!!
    2000 Concours
    84 Kawi KLR600
    79 Yam XT500 Ouch it kicks back
    79 XR250
    Why is it that the smallest part can fly to the farthest part of the shop?
    John

Hey Paintman,

Not sure what you mean by who is best for dealing with the rejetting issue? Do you mean where can you get the jets from?

The BigBoreKit is only available made by Wiseco, but folks have posted several places to acquire them. Was a place in Fla. but they allegedly moved to Tenn or Kent. IIRC?! There may be some links in the LINKS forums regarding where to find the bigbore kit, or may need to do a search in THIS FORUM?

The extra steels are available from BIkeBandit, about $8.00 plus S&H, and you can get jets from them also, so you could possibly save on shipping!? Vs. getting them from MikesXS or other sources!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Since you haven't bought the kit yet, consider this...

TC and I both put the 1179 kits in our bikes thinking that at some point, it would leave room at a later date to do the 1196 kit. What we have decided since then, was that we probably should have done the 1196. They are both the same price. If at a future date, the motor needed freshening up again, all it would take is another set of cylinders and new rings. There's still a bunch of the cylinders out there and you can use a set off of ANY of these bikes... including the XJ. I see them all the time for $40 or less. Since the cylinders would have to be bored either way, that would save the cost of another set of pistons.

The choice is yours, but I just thought that maybe you hadn't considered that.

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Hmm 1196

Hey guys thanks i might as well go with the 1196 since i have 3 spare engines in my trailer. Yeah TC i was wondering where to get the Jets ive heard alot of folks complain about not getting rt parts. not bad i found the 1196 kits for 499$ . well since i am snowed in with 8-10 ft drifts i think il start ordering parts.

Thanks John
        79 XS1100SF 750 FD,Galfer Brake lines,ebc brake pads,Cross Drilled Rotors,TKat fork brace,bead blasted wheels repainted and polished
        06 CBR1000RR sold!!!!!
        2000 Concours
        84 Kawi KLR600
        79 XR250
        John

Comment

Well,

Tod spoke right about both of us having the 1179 kits, and allowing room for another increase to 1196 if it were needed. However, I'm quite happy with the smaller bore, having the slightly thicker cylinder wall vs. the 1196 kit, and IF the cylinders get worn out, I can take just about any WORN OUT 1100 set of cylinders, rusty, warped, etc., and install and bore them, 1.5mm would usually be more than enough to clean/clear any defects in a normally worn engine, and still retain the 1179 pistons, and just get new rings from Wiseco!

The 1179's power is more than what I need, the stock 11 was plenty to begin with, so the extra oomph is really just icing on the cake for me!

Others have done the 1196 kit and are also quite happy with it, and haven't heard of any cylinder warpage occuring! YMMV! Happy Shopping!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Sorry about that TC.

I guess I misunderstood you in a previous posting.

Tod
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by Paintman View Post
              Hey guys thanks i might as well go with the 1196 since i have 3 spare engines in my trailer. Yeah TC i was wondering where to get the Jets ive heard alot of folks complain about not getting rt parts. not bad i found the 1196 kits for 499$ . well since i am snowed in with 8-10 ft drifts i think il start ordering parts.

Thanks John
              Hey- give up the name and place where I can get that kit for that price please?

Comment

No idea if these are valid, just did a quick search on "Wiseco xs1100".

http://xs750cafe.com/enginestuff.aspx
                http://www.motorcycleparts.biz/acces...uct/K1196.html

The 1179 seems to cost more than the 1196.
                XS1100SF
                XS1100F

Comment

Prices

Hey Ram the name of the Place is Pro Cycle .com.
                  JOhn
                  06 CBR1000RR sold!!!!!
                  2000 Concours
                  84 Kawi KLR600
                  79 XR250
                  John

Comment

Hey Paintman,
                    I see your question about the clutch - who sells the extra steel plate?
                    Give me your address and I'll send you an extra steel plate, I've got plenty. I did that mod to my 11 a while back and it really worked good. I picked up an extra clutch cable cheap from ebay in case I have cable stretch problems but fortunately I have not had any problems and have 1000 miles of local cruising on it. I also ordered new springs from EBC {ebay} . Well whatcha waitin fer gime ur address so I can get im in the mail to ya!
                    1980 Xs1100 MNS Sold for $1800
                    2004 Roadstar XV1700
                    45 to 50 MPG
                    Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before it is too late!

Comment

Originally posted by Paintman View Post
                      Hey Ram the name of the Place is Pro Cycle .com.
                      JOhn
                      Thanks! I appreciate the link!

Comment

Up date

OK so far engine cleaned,apart pulled head apart removed valves did mild porting on intake side blended everything should flow alot nicer Checked Stem Play in guides all fine. lapped valves in re assembled head its on bench now.All gasket surfaces cleaned. Set valve clearence on bench always aot easier to do. Have Clutch apart Checked all thickneses all within new specs. i added the extra steel and new cutch springs. Valve cover is being powder coated now alot with a bunch of other parts. Just waiting on pistons to get here then il bore it and put her back togetehr. So much fun LOL.

John
                        06 CBR1000RR sold!!!!!
                        2000 Concours
                        84 Kawi KLR600
                        79 XR250
                        John

Comment

Well on your way! Another mighty XS will be reborn.

[QUOTE= So much fun LOL.

John[/QUOTE]
                          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
                          X