clutch cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clutch cable

hello. i got hit by a truck the other day on my 82 xj1100 maxim. bike did pretty good, i didnt though but i will mend.
    i broke my lights (all of them) which ni have repaired. scratched some paint which is getting repaired today. and broke the clutch cable and mirrors. i have an extra set of mirrors.

my problem is the clutch cable. it broke in the handgrip. the little metal piece cam off on the end. i have tried to get a new one. I am in canada and my riding season is maybe good for 3-4 more weeks. to order a new cable will take 6-8 weeks. does anyone know a way to put the little metal piece back on, or a nut or something i could put on the wire that will compression grip it and stay on til my new cable comes?
    any ideas would be really apreaciated as i am riding a bus right now and takes 3 hours to get to work

thanks
    steve
    Steve Josch
    Toronto ontario
    1982 xj1100 maxim owner

Scrap yards

Have you checked motorcycle scrap yards in your area? the xs cable is the same i think.
    Doug Mitchell
    82 XJ1100 sold
    2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
    2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
    1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
    47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

Ouch! How scary! Sorry to hear about the accident. I don't really have any input about the cable, but doesn't your insurance cover that stuff? I know mine does. I just drop it off at their facility, and they give me a rental car until it's fixed.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

Solder

Try to drill a hole thru it then slide the cable in and solder it ...worth a try
        Doug Mitchell
        82 XJ1100 sold
        2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
        2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
        1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
        47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

thanks to everyone. any other suggestions would also be appreciated. i will try to drill a hole though. I didnt have collision coverage just liability as the bike cost me less than they wanted for insurance
          Steve Josch
          Toronto ontario
          1982 xj1100 maxim owner

Comment

http://www.bikebandit.com/cables-for...106?m=8192&t=1

XJ and Xs cables are not the same.
            Made by motion pro. Has them in stock. Usually ships in 24 hours. $14.35 USD

Dan
            Current Rides: '82 XJ w/Jardine 4-1's, GIVI flyscreen, '97 Triumph Trophy 1200
            Former Rides: '71 CB350, '78 400 Hawk, '75 CB550/4;
            while in Japan: '86 KLR250, '86 VT250Z, '86 XL600R, '82 CB450(Hawk II), '96 750 Nighthawk, '96 BMW F650

Comment

Canadian Tire

Hi, hope you're better soon!
              Can Tire has "cable stop clamps" (Brass barrels with set screws threaded in from each end) in the Help section near the auto parts counter. The stock #s on my pack are 03336 and 024-5322-8. One pkg contains 5 in ass'td sizes. HTH
              Regards,
              Tom
              Last edited by Tdog; 11-05-2008, 03:07 PM. Reason: Desc.
              '81 H

Comment

It's a real chore but here's how it's done.

Hi Cowboy,
                if you just can't wait for the new cable to get to you and you can't find one at a bike breaker's, here's how to fix the broken one. The nipple that broke off is cast in place and is made of a zinc-based alloy. You can't drill the cable stub out of it because the wire is harder than the nipple so the drill will wander off and you can't solder to zinc anyway. Throw the broken nipple away. You will have to find a replacement brass nipple which is really hard to do these days. Perhaps an old-fashioned bike shop near you still stocks them or at least one of those emergency nipples with a pinch screw. Those don't work as advertised because the pinch screw can't grip the cable hard enough but you can solder them in place. But most likely you will have to make one. Get a length of 3/8" diameter brass rod and drill through it crossways to just clear the cable diameter. Now drill the hole you just made half way through about 5/16" diameter. Cut the new nipple to length. Cut back the cable outer sheath so the right amount of cable sticks out. Put the end of the cable through the new nipple with the overbore pointing away from the cable's main length and use two pairs of mini-pliers to spread the very end of the cable's individual wires out like a tiny little chimney sweep's brush. Grip the nipple in a vise and slather it and the cable end with soldering flux paste. Heat the nipple with a Bernz torch and dab solder wire onto the sweep's brush until it melts and runs into the nipple. Pull down on the cable until the sweep's brush end moves down into the 5/16" overbore. Let it cool, file off any solder overflow and she's fixed.
                And as I tell all first time solderers, if the molten solder runs onto your skin don't scream like a girl. Though you are allowed to make a deep manly groan.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Clutch cable...? What clutch cable?
                  '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

thanks

thanks all. went to canadian tire got the clamps and it seems to be working well menough until my new cable comes. was easy to do, just needed to make the hole in the brass a little larger
                    Steve Josch
                    Toronto ontario
                    1982 xj1100 maxim owner

Comment

Originally posted by cowboy5 View Post
                      thanks all. went to canadian tire got the clamps and it seems to be working well menough until my new cable comes. was easy to do, just needed to make the hole in the brass a little larger
                      The hole in your what?

Oh the hole in your brass.
                      Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Working...
                      X