Block off Oil Cooler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Block off Oil Cooler?

Put on some new (to me) pipes and will need to re-plumb the oil cooler.
    Since I won't need it for the forseeable future, can I plug the outlets or do I need to remove the cooler adapter plate? There is no room to loop it.
    I don't have a standard filter bolt.
    Will that make it bypass the filter?
    XS1100SF
    XS1100F

Remove it, most likely you will find you do have the std filter bolt, . The oil cooler uses a large adapter bolt which the stock bolt bolts into, thanx andreas

Comment

No, it has the sandwich plate. It's an aftermarket type.
      XS1100SF
      XS1100F

Comment

I agree with Andreas. If you have the normal filter cup underneath the adapter.. you'll have the regular bolt. The regular bolt screws into those aftermarket adapters. If you don't have a regular filter bolt, you can buy one fairly cheap. I haven't checked around, but partsnmore.com has them for $9, but there's a $35 min order.

If you just plug off the lines, you will essentially stop the oil circulation in your bike. Without looping it, removal of the adapter and installing the filter/cup will be your only viable option.

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
          I agree with Andreas. If you have the normal filter cup underneath the adapter.. you'll have the regular bolt. The regular bolt screws into those aftermarket adapters. If you don't have a regular filter bolt, you can buy one fairly cheap. I haven't checked around, but partsnmore.com has them for $9, but there's a $35 min order.

If you just plug off the lines, you will essentially stop the oil circulation in your bike. Without looping it, removal of the adapter and installing the filter/cup will be your only viable option.

Tod
          Hmmm,
          I gave up for the night, but will check it out tomorrow. All I know is when I change the filter, I have to wrassle around with the plate and cup all at once. The bolt passes thru both and secures the whole assembly.
          I have no clue where it came from, PO installed it. I figured the bolt would be too long.

I may try to find some right angle fittings so they point up instead of forward.
          XS1100SF
          XS1100F

Comment

Working...
          X