Should I take the time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I take the time?

I have a 79 xs1100 standard (square gagues, headlight, etc) and I recently acquired for a really good price this Vetter fairing.

Pic of Fairing

Mounted on the bike

Now it's meant for a special and I've got it temporarily mounted right now. Really adds to the comfort of the bike but I realize I'm going to have to get a new headlight for it (round). Does anyone think this is worth it or should I look into trading it for a Standard fairing?

Has anyone ever swapped a Standard headlight for a Special one? How different is the mounting? I've already got the ears from a xs850 midnight special if I choose to go that direction.
    2007 FJR1300A

/*Previous Rides*/
    81 XS650
    84 Honda Magna 750
    01 Suzuki Katana 600
    85 XJ700
    79 XS1100F

Im sure others here have more knowledge is this area but I think that fairing was made specifically for some other bike. Look at the picture section on this forumn and youll see all the fairings mount basically the same on an XS and unless Im mistaken that one just does not seem right. I have one I took off my 81 xj550 and another one off a 79 XS11sf and they mount (except for the diff brackets) the same . Anyone else?
    79SF
    XJ11
    78E

Comment

Should have added this before. The guy I bought it from, took it off his 1980 xs1100 special and said it mounted up fine. I had to improvise a little to get it to fit on the standard, the headlight it a little too wide so it doesn't sit back far enough but I figured the light off the special would fix that.
      2007 FJR1300A

/*Previous Rides*/
      81 XS650
      84 Honda Magna 750
      01 Suzuki Katana 600
      85 XJ700
      79 XS1100F

Comment

Yes! Keep it and improvise on the mounts. It's fairly easy if you use your imagination and you will truly have a one of a kind, (won't have a problem picking it out in a parking lot.) unless you really want a standard...it's your ballgame!
        Last edited by mstic2000; 11-04-2008, 01:44 PM.
        My 1978 http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/mstic2000/xs.jpg

Comment

Keep the fairing, it's different.

I mean, geez...
          Ya go to a rally... and everybody's bike looks the same.
          "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Yeah, it's gettin so I can't tell a Vespa from a Lambretta these days.

Comment

Yeah, keep going with it. Everyone in here has visions of tricking out there bikes in one way or another. From mild to wild. No time like your present issue to start into it.
              1980 XS11
              _=-Xcellerator-=_
              -47,000 miles
              -rear dropped 1 1/2" w/HD Sporster Shox
              -HD 12" apes & controls
              -V*Star seat & bags

"You ridin' a Harley, or are you just to see me?"

Comment

Mike's again

Hi Lazy,
                take the easy route, swap in a stock 7" round headlight from Mike'sXS for $79.
                No-one can see if you had to warp the ears a bit to make the bucket fit them because that's all hidden behind the fairing.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Use the 850 ears they are the same as the 1100 and the 7 inch headlight matter of fact any 7 inch headlight will do I'm using a XS 750 on my 1100 I hated the glare off the chrome bucket.
                  I hate signatures. Too many cars and Bikes to list here.

Comment

Working...
                  X