gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gears

I am repairing my xj1100 because it jumps in 1st gear with the help of some members here. Can someone tell me what gears to order to repair this? I ordered all the gaskets but am thinking about replacing the affected gears. It only messes up when your on it pretty hard and only in first. Thanks again

ed

Thanks to Bigfoot for offering to give me a hand with this.

Most folks choose to repair the gears rather than replace them. There are write-ups in the tech section.
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

xj gears

1st wheel gear P/N 2H7-17211-00-00
      4th wheel gear P/N 2H7-17241-00-00

You'll need both gears because they mesh togeather. Check the link below, go to parts catalog, put in year and model of your bike. Click transmission, should be #'s 15 + 19 on the parts fiche.

http://www.yamahaaccy.com/parts.aspx
      Last edited by bikerphil; 10-29-2008, 06:09 PM. Reason: wrong link
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Hey Ed,

Also, only 1st is skipping right NOW, but I've found that the XJ's seem to loose 1st First, with 2nd not far behind! My 81SH also did the same, lost 1st, and then 2nd a month or so later! I've repaired 3 XJ's now, and ALL of them needed the 1st gear, but also did 2nd as a preventative measure, not fun going back in a second time for 2nd when it could be addressed while working on 1st. One was so bad, anything above idle would cause it to jump/skip, sounded like a machine gun!

You may get sticker shock once you find out how much $$ it'll cost for just 2 gears, not to mention 2nd and 5th as well!! Hence the Dremel/Die Grinder fix in the tech tips!

Also, since you have to pull the Clutch assembly/bucket out for this, IF you have a lot of miles on the clutch, good time to inspect the frictions and replace if out or near out of spec, clean the steels, and REPLACE the springs even if they are within spec, because they get sprung with even just a few years. And if you want to be able to put all of your ponies into the rear wheel once the gears are fixed, you might also opt for an extra STEEL! JAT!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

For a list of all the common parts needed to to a transmission repair, see:
          http://www.rctvonline.net/~xs11/seco...addendum9.html
          Jerry Fields
          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
          '06 Concours
          My Galleries Page.
          My Blog Page.
          "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

By the way, T.C. the link to Ken's page under the Useful Link feature returns a 404 error. The "www" is missing in the address bar, has only //rctvonline.net and I think it should be //www.rctvonline.net + the rest of the address.
            Jerry Fields
            '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
            '06 Concours
            My Galleries Page.
            My Blog Page.
            "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Hey Jerry,

THanks, link fixed!
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

XJ gears

First gear will run you $119.00, second is $95.00 from bike bandit. Lots of folks have done the dremel fix and had no problems. My XJ never had it ,,,,81 Special has 53K and never had it either. The dremel fix removes metal and gives you a nice new face to work from, but alters the original balance in the tranny. But as is noted above lots of folks have done it and had no worries. My buds 79 had the first and second gear problem and he used new gears,,and still rolling with out the problem.
                Guess it depends on your finances and talent with a grinder. My.02 Good luck either way
                Ken Krieger
                Chesterfield, Va.
                81 XS1100SH - Radar Rider
                82 XJ1100J - Black and Blue
                82 XJ1100J - Bucket o Bolts
                79 XS1100SF - Road Raider
                1980 XS1100 - Frankenbike
                85 XJ700 Maxim
                06 VMax - Black Max
                85 650 Nighthawk

Comment

Working...