Squished Floats???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squished Floats???

I have seen several references to squished carb floats in several posts of late.

When I started dismantling the 79sf carbs, the floats in carb #1 was "squished". I wrote it off to the PO working on the carbs with the help of his 6yr old daughter. I replaced it of course, but the question has been a puzzler.

To quote the good Dr Seuss..."He puzzled and puzzed till his puzzler was sore".

Sort of like the irresistible urge to pop the bubble wrap??..

Is there some instance where presure would build up in the float bowl to the point it would mash the brass bulbs on the float assembly? Backfire or something like that??

Maybe just one of the mysteries of life???

Rodger
    RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Originally posted by latexeses View Post

Is there some instance where pressure would build up in the float bowl to the point it would mash the brass bulbs on the float assembly?
    Probably only if someone blew compressed air in the vent or fuel inlet to try to clear out debris. I've pulled the dents out of them before with hot glue on a stick, kinda like gas tank dent removal on a smaller scale.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Phil's right,

Prom posted about this phenomena, occurs when folks use compressed air to blow thru carbs before dismantling them, and the Xsive pressure squishes the floats, they are softer than the carb body, and pressure goes to least resistance!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Also occurs when water builds up in the bowl, over winter it freezes and squishes the floats.

Comment

Now I'm grateful the PO didn't decide to "clean" the rest of the carbs.

As always, thanks for the info.

Rodger
          RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Working...
          X