Wiring Harness? TCI Damage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring Harness? TCI Damage?

I have recently finally started the rebuild of the second XS11E that I bought several years ago. When I bought the bike, the PO told me he had replaced the wiring harness because he had no spark to the plugs and had replaced the coils already. The coils that he had put on it were from who knows where, but they certainly were not for/from an XS1100E. They were yellow and had splices in the connecting wires (small red/white wires). I recently purchased a set of coils, still no spark. After looking a little more closely at the wiring harness, it appears that there several connectors not connected to anything. I just purchased a Clymers fron ebay, that should help with my troubleshooting, in the meantime I have a few questions. My questions begin with:
    What kind of damage could happen to the rest of the ignition system with the wrong coils on the bike? TCI?, Resistors? etc....
    What kind of damage (if any) could happen to everything with the wrong year wiring harness installed? switches, etc...
    Thanks in advance!
    Rich
    "DuctTape"

- XS1100E (Project: Has a long way to go)
    - 2008 Honda Goldwing GL1800P
    Two Lane Road Riders Association
    Southern Cruisers
    TMRA, TxCOC, etc....

your coils should be 1.5 ohm primaries, with a 1.5 ohm ballast resistor. need a total of 3 ohms, no matter what brand coils you install. ie install 3 ohm coils, then bypass the resistor. you can damage the tci if you bypass the resistor and use 1.5 ohm coils. the stock coils have written on them 'for use with ballast resistor'

Comment

Thanks, it looks like I'll be looking for a TCI next. I kinda figured that, but wanted some re-assurance.
      Thanks again!
      "DuctTape"

- XS1100E (Project: Has a long way to go)
      - 2008 Honda Goldwing GL1800P
      Two Lane Road Riders Association
      Southern Cruisers
      TMRA, TxCOC, etc....

Comment

In the past 2 years i bought 2 harnesses from 2 people claiming they came off a 80 SG.When i decided to replace the harness alot of connectors especially near the headlight bucket were different.The one harness also did not have the ballast resistor wires.To say i was frustrated was an understatement.Did not see any damage that occurred from the wrong harness other than not working.Years ago before i really knew anything about the bike and long before the internet came to be as i know it, i purchased a set of coils but could not figure out how they work.They were sent back to Dennis Kirk and never purchased again.
        1980 XS1100 SG
        Inline fuel filters
        New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
        160 mph speedometer mod
        Kerker Exhaust
        xschop K & N air filter setup
        Dynojet Recalibration kit
        1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
        1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Working...
        X