Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've been reading but still have a question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QRFan View Post
    Yes you can get the orig rings from Yamaha.1 dealer told me no,,but another was able to order them 78$ each set.

Here's the part number for anyone who wants it 3J2-11610-00-00 . The following link is for Yamaha's parts catalog. http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/parts/home.aspx

Thank you guys for all your advice..I'm starting to feel better w/your support & after talking to the Mechanic again today.BTW_He asked who I'd been talking to . LMAO Maybe I'll finally get some sleep tonight Feel like I'm waiting for one of the kids to get home .

I'll give this info to the mechanic ! Thanks to everyone.I'll keep you posted.
    Well QRFan,

I'm probably going to make you feel bad again, about the $$ your spending for your piston ring job.

A complete WISECO set of NEW PISTONS, RINGS, Wrist Pins and end clips, and graphite head gasket for the 1179cc big bore kit is about $400.00, not much more than what you will be spending for just rings! I don't know how much your mech is charging for the honing/crosshatch process per cylinder, but boring for the big bore runs $40-60 a hole!

And remember, he'll need to reset the valve clearances due to the valve/seat work, and they tend to tighten/reduce the clearance as they wear, so would be best to recommend setting them a little looser if there's a choice between looser or tighter, but both being in spec!

If you haven't seen the discussions regarding the mods to the cam chain tensioner...especially the most recent about tapping the end only to put a second securing bolt/lock nut to prevent it from coming loose would be a good bit of insurance.

Did he check to see how much slack the tensioner was already taking up with the old chain? Would also be a good time to put in a new chain IF it is fairly slack. Remember, it can be replaced WITHOUT splitting the cases.
    T.C.
    PS...remember to use a single weight ie. 30wt oil for the modified piston ring break in period...won't be as long as a full NEW engine breakin, but still will be important to get them to seat well for a durable lifetime run!
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

If you ever do decide to do any "serious" internal work (i.e. trans work or bottom end work) you can do it yourself. It really isn't hard, I had my engine / trans torn down to nothing but parts, did complete rebuild on the whole thing, replaced cases, main bearings, gears, rings, head re done, etc. never been that deep into any engine before. If you can read, you can fix it, take you time, read the service manual (multiple times) and check your work before you move on to the next step. Trust me, if I was able to do it (fired her up for the first time in late July 2006), got approximately 2 years and about 5k on the bike no complaints as yet ( well I think I did something incorrectly in the trans because I get the occaisional skip from second gear (it was a new gear from Yamaha) haven't really figured out what I did wrong, may haps this winter. anyway, back to the point, if you can read, you can fix this bike. that's all I got, have a nice day and ride safe
      I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

pistons

A complete WISECO set of NEW PISTONS, RINGS, Wrist Pins and end clips, and graphite head gasket for the 1179cc big bore kit is about $400.00, not much more than what you will be spending for just rings! I don't know how much your mech is charging for the honing/crosshatch process per cylinder, but boring for the big bore runs $40-60 a hole!
        Isn't that Piston set way too big for my bike considering it's never been bored before? The mechanic seems to think that 72.? is about the biggest you can go w/out resleeving . He also said if i want to bore it out & put in new pistons i would want around a 71.25 (if i'm remembering our conversation right)... Sorry for asking dumb questions but I'm not in familiar territory . He was all for the new set until i told him sizes,,,,,,, Thx for all the help.
        Last edited by QRFan; 10-28-2008, 06:25 PM. Reason: bad grammar: )
        It's just me at the edge..........waving

Comment

Stock bore is 71.5mm max oversize it up to 72.0mm. Wiseco is 74mm for the 1179 and 74.5 for 1196, both designed to be done without resleeving.

There was an old thread discussing maximum bores and sleeve thicknesses. IIRC, the stock sleeve is ~3.5 or 4mm thick, the 1179 kit takes the sleeve down to ~2.5mm, and I think it was DAN HODGES that stated that ~2.0 mm is the thinnest sleeve wall you want, otherwise you get into chances with warping or such, and the 1196 kit takes it to that edge/limit. Several here have put both sizes in WITHOUT any resleeving required!!

The reason why I'm talking about this rebore size is because you can NOT get any other oversized pistons from YAMAHA anymore, just the rings, and not sure how much longer they will be available. SO that's why the Wiseco is the only game in town IF your cylinder walls are out of spec/round and you need a rebore.....gotta go big or go home!

Hope he measured the cylinders accurately for out of round measurements, doesn't take much to be out of spec! See my signature!
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

i understand....

ok, well he went back & rechecked the cylinders/pistons for me.They are well w/in spec... He told me what specs Yamaha(Haynes) called for & what he actually has. It all sounds good...He's done a really good job cleaning up the old set of pistons etc(every little orfice).. Since those wiseco kits are the only options left for oversizing ,I think I would be better off reusing my pistons etc & not bore it out unless or until it needs it. He did say wiseco are some off the best pistons in his opinion & that if they were only 1or 2 sizes larger he would recommend the kit ,especially for the price. My set up,however, is well within the guidelines . I don't want to limit the number of times I can oversize the pistons,just incase I have to somewhere down the road.I reminded him of the crank as u suggested .I appreciate all the help .
            It's just me at the edge..........waving

Comment

Working...
            X