miles/reserve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• miles/reserve

A while back someone was asking how far can you go on reserve. Maybe this has already been answered but I thought I'd find out how far mine will go. I went 54 miles on reserve, that wasn't babying it trying to see how far I could go, just my normal driving at 39 miles per gallon. I did crank on it 2 or 3 times. This is with a standard tank.
    79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
    79 SF parts bike.

red bandit:

Thanks for being the test ride, I get 39/gal on my standard tank but have never ran it down very far into the reserve. It is good to know that I can get 50+ on reserve.

Comment

I watch my fuel gauge, and try never to use the reserve. Any little particles of rust, water, and anything else that's heavier than gas goes to the bottom of the tank. When you switch to reserve you draw from the bottom of the tank, and that stuff heads straight for the carbs. My dad used to call that 'sucking the dregs out of the tank'.
      I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

One of the reasons for going so far on reserve with the standard tank is the dual petcock setup. On the standard, there is no fuel balancing between the left and right side. So, when either side runs out (usually the right do to the side stand) we switch our petcocks and continue on. I put a "Tee" between the two petcock and found I went 25-30 miles farther before going to reserve. I still have 25-30 mile before I run out of reserve. It also makes it so only one petcock needs to be switched to get the motor back going. The down side is, when it runs out, both sides shut down. I found I liked the little extra range before reserve.
        DZ
        Vyger, 'F'
        "The Special", 'SF'
        '08 FJR1300

Comment

Hi Denny,
          with the stock Special tank the red warning light comes on 10 miles before I need to switch to reserve and then it's ten more miles until totally empty. The bike was de-octopussed by a PO. so I had to remember to switch off the gas when I stopped. The fuel lines were Teed together so I could run on just one tap.
          With the new Standard tank the red light comes on AS I need to switch to reserve and then there's one US gallon left and that'll get the rig another 25 miles. The Standard vacuum taps feed two carbs each, (the lines are NOT Teed together) but as the vacuum taps don't have an OFF position I'm running on both taps anyway.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

My XJ is like Fred speaks of. Just about the time my warning light comes on, it starts sputtering. Then I have 20 miles at the MOST before being out.

Somewhere, it's stated that the XJ has a 5 gallon tank, but I guess the air pocket at the top kills a half gallon of that since it's never taken more than 4 1/2 gallons to fill when I sputtered into the station on reserve once. The reserve is @ 1/2 a gallon on mine with dual petcocks.. not teed though. It will generally start sputtering on two of the cylinders first.
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own