using other parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• using other parts

this may perhaps be an off-topic post, but out of curiosity - let's say 15 years from now somebody had an XS1100 they wanted to restore. What would their options be if parts were no longer available? For example the big rear bearing. Seems like the only place to get it is Yamaha. What if you couldn't get it anymore? I can't see it being possible to make your own bearing. Other things I imagine would not be such a big deal - like the carbs. I assume you could fit a similar set of carbs on there with not too much trouble.

Has anyone had any experience fitting parts off of other bikes onto their XS?

just something that has been running through my head.

Good question. Some items, like the Mikuni BS34 carbs, were used by other manufacturers besides Yamaha, so you could fit parts from Suzuki BS34s into your Yamaha BS34s.

If you look at the parts microfiche, parts that start with a series of numbers were used elsewhere in the Yamaha line. Parts that begin with the first 3 characters made up of letters/numbrs, such as 10M, were first intorduced on that model bike. The Tech Tips section has a reference of model numbers for various years of XS and the XJ 1100 bikes. If you own an XJ and see a part on the 'fiche that begines with 2H7 you know that part was first used on a US 1978 XS11 and on all models since. Therefore, if you need that part, you know it can come off any XS11, not just another XJ. Having a microfiche is useful that way.

Some parts are interchangeable between models, but not many. Some brake rotors from the 750 Secca and a few other bikes are the same as the XS/ XJ. For that information you might have to look in aftermarket catalogs to see what part numbers fit what year applications. To complicate maters, some changes are only cosmetic, even if the part numbers are different. For example, the front slotted rotors on the '81 XS and '82 XJ are interchangeable with the solid rotors of the earlier XS models, even though they carry different part numbers.

Some parts are truly unique to a single year. If they are no longer available, you will have to bypass them (sidestand switch on the XJ, for example), use non-factory parts (aftermarket exhaust systems replace non-available factory parts), look for used parts, or adapt/modify parts from other bikes.

At one time developing a cross-reference list was discussed, but I don't think it ever really got off the ground, except for Gary Granger's cross-reference of brake rotors. If you want to take on the taks, you are welcome to do so! It would be of help to many owners, I am sure.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Someone else hit on the rear bearing thing too..I dont remember the post, but the idea(and I think it may be one to consider) was to use a couple(2 or 3...and a spacer,as needed)in place of the big one...with a little looking you can find almost any IDxOD combo of bearing..its the width that sucks...I dont hear of many bearing failures but...
      '81 sh " Maime" The Nature of The Beast

Comment

I would love to start something like that - but there's no way I could do it on my own. I have very little experience and only one bike so I don't want to do much experimenting on it. I am looking for a second bike (a fixer-upper) that would allow me plenty of play time without down time. Regardless, members would have to be able to make additions somehow.

I'm probably getting way ahead of myself here - but what about a page that contains a huge list of parts for the XS/XJ's. You click on the part and it takes you to a separate page containing an alternative(s). Members must have access to this page - either by adding a part which they trying to find an substitute for, or by describing what they did/used for a substitute.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry
          At one time developing a cross-reference list ......except for Gary Granger's cross-reference of brake rotors.
          Where might I find said list? I am on a quest for a replacement rotor for my 81 as my rear brake pulsates and locks.
          Rocky
          00 Cagiva Gran Canyon
          80 XS11 Special -sold
          77 HD Sportster
          75 Norton Commando

Comment

I belive Gary got the list from looking up parts on the EBC (brake parts company) web page. Here is the meat of his post:

Here is what is shows for fronts
            Left MD2024LS
            Right MD2024RS

A quick scan reveals these other Yamaha bikes with those same rotors:

82 XJ 1100 J, (all) XS 1100, 80-81 XS 850 LG/LH/SG/SH, 77-79 XS 650 D/E/F/2F (left side front only), 81 XJ 650 LH Midnight (left side front only), 76-78 XS 500 C/D/E

Remember this cross referece on works for the same physical size rotor and it will work (but may be slotted or not, or have a different spoke pattern or something.

I don't know if this applies to rear rotors as well. You might have to check a parts list to see if your '81 rear rotor is the same as a front rotor. The XJ's rear rotor is not the same as the front, has a different offset, but I believe the XS rear rotor is the same as the front. Verify this though, as my recollection on this is not real clear.

If you do a search on "Brake rotors" in the Forum (Use the Search tab top right of screen) you will turn up several past discussions on brake rotors. Info there may help
            Jerry Fields
            '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
            '06 Concours
            My Galleries Page.
            My Blog Page.
            "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Working...
            X