XS Triple questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS Triple questions

I was at a local salvage yard in Atlanta, and ran across a 78 XS triple, 750 or 850 I think, that looks as if it has been sitting since 1979. It is fairly complete and can be had right. The shop is closing. The dumb question is:

Does anyone with more XSpertise than me know if anything on this scoot is worth getting, that might work if needed on an 81 LH. Specifically I need a centerstand, case guards, and such.

Also if anyone wants it, there it sits...
    '81 XS11 Midnight Special

What salvage yard is it at? (The only bike salvage yard I know of in the area is Rockdale Cycles, which is good, but far out.)
    Robert
    79 SF

Comment

Cycle City on Glenwood Ave, off 20 east, just east of 75/85, like the second exit or so. When you get off the interstate, go south, then east at the dead end. It is on down on the right about 1.5 to 2 miles. I went there 25+ years ago, when I had a kz900, for some stuff. The elderly gentleman is closing after many, many years there. And his shop looks like he has been there for years, literally hundreds of bikes stacked upon each other, lots of 70's and early 80's japanese stuff, most do not have tanks or sidecovers, and I only saw two XS bikes, one standard, one special, both triples, one in the front had the most. Tank, seat, most, if not all electrical was there. The headlamp bucket was open, and it had no side covers. The other was just frame, engine, suspension, wheels. Cycle City has no iventory system, other than the old guy's head, so good luck. It is the kind of place that you could spend days in, without touching the same pile twice. Have you been to Rockdale? I was going yesterday, but it is closed on Mondays. I am looking for stuff salvagable for the 81LH I bought last year, possibly a good parts bike.

Comment

I forgot about Cycle City Graveyard, that's a rather strange place. I didn't consider it because they never had anything I was looking for. I'm surprised he stayed open as long as he has. I've been to Rockdale Cycles several times for parts.
        Robert
        79 SF

Comment

Strange is a good word, very descriptive, almost Twilight Zoneish

Comment

If I remember correctly the 750/850 has few parts that change over for the 1100. Tank, headlight, shaft drive should, Electrics???
            ANYONE? wanna help out....
            wpc57

'81LH Midnight Special "Margret"

I ain't as good as I once was..but I am as good once as I ever was.... (Toby Keith)

Comment

I wouldn't bet on the tank but brake stuff just might. Garry
              Garry
              '79 SF "Battle Cat"
              outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

XS Triple questions

Hey guys,

I can shed alittle light on this one. Last year I fried my middle drive and u-joint. I am familier with both graveyards mentioned. I have spoken to Rockdale Cycles on the phone and actually found a seat that was in very good condition for my 79F xs1100 at the other place off I-20 on Glenwood.

To get on with the subject, I replaced that mid-drive and u-joint with the 850 Triple unit. I also saw where the driveline and final drive would bolt right on. The drive system was pretty much visual as far as comparisons go. The 850 triple unit I used is at Cycle stop on Buford Hgwy in Norcross, Ga.

Continued success on your quest for quickness and alittle better handling.

Y'ALL BE COOL,
                XS-IVE1100
                The wisest men started out as fools and gained wisdom by surviving stupidity.

BIGKAT1100

Comment

HEY XS-IVE1100
                  HAVE YOU CHECKED THE GEAR RATIO ON THAT 850 FINAL DRIVE? I'M STILL LOOKING FOR SOMETHING A LITTLE TALLER THAN A STOCK 1100.

THANKS, NOMAD

Comment

Working...
                  X