RR choke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RR choke

I've got a 78E that runs ok but is missing the whole choke slide; I've got one on another set of carbs but how do I take it off and install it on the other carbs? Can it be installed without removing the carbs from the bike? Thanks.

Dave

choke rod

There are 4 set screws holding the choke rod in (1 for each carb). The screws for carbs 1+4 are not to bad to access but 2+3 are a little more difficult. You're gonna need a special angled screwdriver or a ratchet w/screwdriver tip. It would be much easier if the carbs were off the bike. If you are referring to the plunger rod (goes thru each carb), then you gotta take 'em off.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I just looked at it again and my problem in getting the rod off but it looks like I just need to remove the choke handle on the side and loosen the bolts holding down the rod and then slide out the rod.. thanks for the help.. I've got to attach it all to the carb plungers so it looks like I should remove the carbs from the bike to make it easier to get them right.

Dave

Comment

Be careful when you pull that rod out, there are two small springs and balls that will pop out and are hard to find again.
        Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Yeah, thats right. I think there is a tiny e clip that you need to remove at the axle of the handle's pivot point. You will want to do that work over a cookie sheet (don't even ask her...just borrow it!) The sheet will help catch the springs and bb's

Originally posted by FLA DAVE
          I just looked at it again and my problem in getting the rod off but it looks like I just need to remove the choke handle on the side and loosen the bolts holding down the rod and then slide out the rod.. thanks for the help.. I've got to attach it all to the carb plungers so it looks like I should remove the carbs from the bike to make it easier to get them right.

Dave
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

hold the carb set in a deep bucket while you pull the slide out, just in case!
            Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
            '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

You do NOT need to pull the "C" clip, it will slip over and out of the lever mechanism.
              Use the deep bucket to catch the two springs and detent balls. They are in carbs one and four. Put them back in with waterproof grease, and they should work well for a few years.
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
              X