79 Standard Fork Gap.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 79 Standard Fork Gap.

ok i have a 79 standard and i am trying to get the axel and forks lined up just right. i ahve done several searches and can'r find exactly what i am looking for...

when i slide the axel in with the fork brace loosened upi slide in in just enough so that thespot where the axel gets bigger is flush with the inside of the fork leg on the left side... then i have to pull pretty hard to get the wheel to sit all the way against the fork and thisis also lined up in the little channel on the speedo housing it's. now part of my question is how close should the speedo housing be to the fork leg. keep in mind this is a standard and the housing is not the same as the special i think??? should it sit flush up against the fork?
    i can get it there but i have to leave the little axel holder nuts snugged up pretty tight by hand then i can tighten the big axel nut on the other side to 77 ftlbs or so. if i don't leave the other two 14mm nuts somehwhat tight then the axel slides through the fork what i beleive to be too far... almost 1/4 of and inch. gap of the bigger axel showing throughand it ends up twisting the speedo housing around. it feels a little wobbly riding it because i am certain the speedo should be pretty darn close to the fork leg. i will try to post a picture. thanks for any tips or ideas ya'll have!!!!!
    " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
    xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
    8mm msd wires
    tkat fork brace...
    Fox shocks...
    mikes650 front fender
    led's gallore...
    renthal bars
    gold valve emulators
    vmax tensioner
    Rifle fairing

You tighten the big axle nut FIRST, then move the left fork leg into alignment, center the left brake disc in the caliper, tighten the cap nuts, and you're done.. make sure the slot in the speedo drive is located in it's tab on the fork leg, that keeps it from spining.

Comment

this was right after i bought the bike. and it handled great!!! now it feels wobbly and the gap is much greater. i managed to squeeze the gap to about 1/8" of axel showing inbetween the speedo and fork. the speedo has no play in it. that's how it's supposed to be right? any ideas on if this gap is too much?
      Last edited by yamahansolo; 10-02-2008, 08:39 AM.
      " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
      8mm msd wires
      tkat fork brace...
      Fox shocks...
      mikes650 front fender
      led's gallore...
      renthal bars
      gold valve emulators
      vmax tensioner
      Rifle fairing

Comment

as i have stated i tried it that way many times ... i have the clymers for it. but if i do it that way the gap gets to be about 1/4 of an inch between the speedo and the fork leg...??? and even if the caps were loose and the bike elevated thefork leg realy won't move very much. there's not enough play there...

79 xs11 standard
        8mm msd wires
        tkat fork brace...
        Fox shocks...
        mikes650 front fender
        led's gallore...
        renthal bars
        gold valve emulators
        vmax tensioner
        Rifle fairing

Comment

fork alignment

Don't try to force the left fork leg flush with the speedometer hub. There should be a gap there. The large part of the axle bolt will hold it in place when you tighten up the castle nut. Pushing that left fork in will make the forks bind due to improper alignment. Align it like Randy said. Tighten the fender and then the forkbrace last.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

ok when i align ity like randy said and the clymer says the gap is way to much. it's at least 1/4 of an inch between the speedo and the fork leg... the gap used to be much much smaller

79 xs11 standard
            8mm msd wires
            tkat fork brace...
            Fox shocks...
            mikes650 front fender
            led's gallore...
            renthal bars
            gold valve emulators
            vmax tensioner
            Rifle fairing

Comment

Stupid question, do you have the spacer installed on the right side of the wheel?

Comment

fork issue

Yamahansolo, here's how it should be lined up...

2H7 (79)
                3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

that's pretty much how it's lined up and the washer i hace is on the outside just under the big nut... (right side)

i got it to be about 1/8 inch gap yesterday morning and road to work tonight. it rode good and it just rode good all the way home......

now for new tires!!!!! i trashed them going up to suchess last weekend.

79 xs11 standard
                  8mm msd wires
                  tkat fork brace...
                  Fox shocks...
                  mikes650 front fender
                  led's gallore...
                  renthal bars
                  gold valve emulators
                  vmax tensioner
                  Rifle fairing

Comment

Working...
                  X