Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been a year, almost done....

Hello Everyone...

Been a year since my last post about restoring a 1978 XS1100 that I bought in 6 boxes... I am proud to announce that I have almost finished restoring it... I will be putting up a website that contains this entire ordeal, just in case someone else wants to tear down an XS on their own and restore it. Some details::

1) completely stripped all paint from every part on the bike.
    2) filled in the divits for the yamaha badge on the tank.
    3) sourced a NOS Lockhart oil cooler for the scooter.
    4) new grips, air shocks, and a bunch of parts from an 80 special, including the tank..
    5) repained everything in 60 deg. high gloss black and midnight blue. (did this with spray cans, best job I've done yet)
    6) floating disc brakes
    7) big, fat mustang seat (unfortunately, the ICU is partially exposed, will need to fabricate something for that.. Any ideas???)
    8) Painted engine in matching high gloss high temp black, exposed fin edges.)
    9) polished all aluminum that I chose to leave un-painted.

Anyway, I've taken good photos, and will try to explain everything I did along the way so that others don't need to go through some of the same headaches that I did...

I'll also try and explain how to get spray can paint to lay down professionally, as I've done entire cars in this medium, I know, there are better ways to do it, but for me, this is the easiest.

Now, on to the question.... I've got an octopus, special petcocks, and the original carbs, I've seen this question answered before, but I would like to make sure that I do this right... I've got 4 fuel lines coming off of my carbs, two on each side, two about mid-way up the carbs, and two just below, how do I plumb these carbs to use the special petcocks? I've got the climers and yamaha service manual, but there is nothing in there about retrofitting.... Any Ideas?

Thanks!!!!

Looking forward to the visuals - goos work, I'm jealous.
    Si Parker
    '81 XS1100H

Tkat brace, new coils/wires/plugs, refurbed carbs (thanks 81 xsproject), recon'd top end, windshield (thanks dpotter58), resprayed tank and panels, 4-1 exhaust, sweet xs pod filters, in line fuel filters, progressive springs, thick hand grips, jumped headlight relay.

Comment

Sounds like a cool bike.
      As far as the fuel lines go.You have two fuel lines.The two on the bottom .The other two are vent tubes .I have later carbs. So mine only has the two bottom for fuel and my vents are different.
      There is a diagram in the tech section for the octy.Just search octy or octupus.I deleted mine.Some guys like 'em and some dont.
      Mine didnt work right,and the kit I bought to rebuild it didnt have the right parts.So I just run right petcock to left bank of carbs and vise versa.And capped off the front nipple of petcock.
      Also the octy uses vacuum from the nipple on the carb holder for carb #2.Hope that helps.
      80 SG XS1100
      14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Any Ideas?

78 and 79 carbs are BS34 II's
        Upper tee's on BS34 II's are vents
        Lower set are for fuel

mro
        BTW, look forward to the pic'a

Comment

good job

Hope the octopus works,,,if it doesnt and it drives you crazy trying to keep the gas out of pouring into the engine, do what a lot of xs'rs have done and toss the octopus. Do a search on the site, connect the petcocks, with a filter inline, to the carbs directly. Plug the extra petcock hole with a hose, or jbweld, or rubbercap. This will stop the octopus problems of leaky gas. Just remember to turn off petcocks for long sitting periods. GOod luck and keep us posted....regards, Mike in san diego
          mike
          1982 xj1100 maxim
          1981 venture bagger
          1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
          1959 wife

Comment

Sounds like it may just be easier

Sounds like it may just be easier to delete the octy altogether, where should I run my vent tubes to? I am replacing the airbox with K&N filters eventually, so What should I do with the vents? Plugging vents is usually a bad idea, and leaving them exposed around a hot engine isn't a great idea either......

Comment

short hose and run em under the tank...

mro

Comment

short hose and run em under the tank...
                I would add a fuel filter to the end of each line. Keeps the bugs out of the vents!
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Hi Mfannan,
                  seems you are doing a great job and I'm looking forward to seeing the photos.
                  Two caveats,
                  Two part paints have a pot life of just a few hours once they are mixed so they can't be put in a rattlecan. This means that be it never so nicely applied, you rattlecan paint has to be a one-part mix and they are not particularly fuel proof. Be real careful filling your gas tank.
                  About that gas tank, XS11s got a thirst like Ted Kennedy. I swapped out my stock Special tank for a Standard as where I live it can be more than 80 miles between filling stations.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                  X