xs1100 being refurbished without a title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xs1100 being refurbished without a title

Iam trying to find the last title owner for the bike I have. I have ran the search for registration through the works in my state of KS. (no luck) My other options are through the courts
    ( too expensive) and through Vegas (also expensive but possible)
    Does anyone have other suggestions?

If I am not mistaken, the state of KS has a way to title an abandoned vehicle. There is a tie limit and you have to contact the PO, at the last known address, and give them the chance ot pay the highly exorbitant storage fees, if they choose to. If the state is not coming up with a previous owner, I am not sure how this works. Maybe you could talk to a salvage yard and see if they have any ideas on getting a salvage title.
    Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

A friend of mine bought a box bike, Harley..ugg..anyhow, the title was signed already by someone else, was a mess, he found a place in California that for about 80 bux registered the bike and transfered the new title to him from California. It was a breeze then to just go to DMV and register the bike as a "just purchased".

Deadog

Comment

The way it is done in Virginia is this.
        1.You get the vehicle.
        2.Get the last known address of PO and send them notice of fee's due.
        3.after 30 days and no response from PO.
        4. Put auction in local paper, we use to put the Vin# not the make of vehicle... like this... Vehicle auction on "Date" for Vin#... Business reserves the right to bid.

The last statement is very important if you want to keep the item.
        After the auction take the paper and supporting mail doc's to the dmv and they would provide a title.

Another thing you can try is if you know someone in Alabama all they use to require is a bill of sale.. you right someone you know a bill of sale for the bike, he titles it in alabama and then signs the title over to you, you take it to CA dmv and you are done.

Hope it helps
        1980 Xs1100 MNS Sold for $1800
        2004 Roadstar XV1700
        45 to 50 MPG
        Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before it is too late!

Comment

No problem. We used to have Bob Jones get mechanics leins to get titles.

You can go through a company in Nevada. Send them a sales receipt and they sell you the bike back.

http://www.its-titles.com/dear15.htm
          "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

http://www.its-titles.com/

there is the site my freind used

Deadog

Comment

Do that first

Hi Tweetie,
              I'd say get the thing papered in your name right & tight before you sink a bunch of money into it. You'd really hate putting a load of cash and work into a refurbishment then being forced to part it out because you couldn't get a clear title.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

In Georgia all you need is a bill of sale, if the bike has not been registered anywhere, we get a form at the tag office, and then we have a sheriff's deputy come out run a check on the VIN# off the bike, they have to see the VIN# in person, then they sign the form and we go get insurance and get a Tag. Later 'Dog

Comment

Got a mechanics lien to get my XS titled. Took 30 days to get a plate on the bike. For the lien to work, you need a previous owner/address, though.

Definately get the title before you do any major work to the bike. I'd just get it barely running and test ride to make sure all the major stuff is good, before anything else.
                  '07 Virago
                  '80 XS11G
                  '78 XS11E
                  '97 Grand Prix GTP
                  '99 Grand Prix GT

Comment

I have been told by some lawyers (so take it for what its worth) that you can get a quiet title for it, but it would be roughly $1000. Because it has to go through court. I don't know about the mechanics liens or the nevada thing. If you try it and it works, let me know!
                    Yamaniac
                    '79 xs11 sf - WidowMaker, 750 final drive
                    '80 xs1100 sg- ENEMY#1 parts bike no title(free)
                    '79 f- frame and swingarm (and title)
                    '82 yz 490- needs a cylinder, head, & new piston, etc. Got one for sale?
                    '88 Honda cbr600- Running, finally! Training bike for swmbo, maybe a stunt bike for me eventually.

Comment

For my last Honda I had, I took the Bill of sale to the DMV and I applied for a lost title. They gave me a Power of Attorney form and I was to have the previous owner sign it. He had moved since I had got the bike so I had a friend sign his name for me. Took that and the Bill of sale back down. They took the paperwork, I paid $8.00, and recieved the title in the mail 1 week later. Nobody ever saw the bike. Pretty easy in Idaho.

Plan to do the same for a 1971 Honda CT70 4 speed I am restoring. Outside of that, most people do use the ITS-titles services.
                      1980 XS Eleven Special

Comment

Just curious about how you obtained the bike?
                        1980 XS1100 SG
                        Inline fuel filters
                        New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
                        160 mph speedometer mod
                        Kerker Exhaust
                        xschop K & N air filter setup
                        Dynojet Recalibration kit
                        1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                        1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

FYI, bought it at a garage sale, (cheap) I checked with the Hiway patrol and the state, it has never been registered in KS and is not on the hot sheet. I am still following the trail.

Comment

I'm not implying at all that you acquired it by any illegal means so don't think that,but did the garage sale person know who owned the bike? If you can get it titled than that is the goal.Best of luck.
                            1980 XS1100 SG
                            Inline fuel filters
                            New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
                            160 mph speedometer mod
                            Kerker Exhaust
                            xschop K & N air filter setup
                            Dynojet Recalibration kit
                            1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                            1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Working...
                            X