K & L carb kits.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K & L carb kits.

i've read not to get the K&L kits as the pilot jet is wrong.

is this true?

I have a 79 special - was going to buy the '78 carb
    kit as it has the 45.0 pilot jet (which from reading is what I will want to go to since I am gonna put indi air filters on)

also if I do go with individual filters, can anyone point me in the right direction? There are some cheap ones on partsnmore.com - dennis kirk has about a million of 'em and i have no idea which one i need. when riding in the rain, are the indi filters gonna suck in water?

Comment

i found this post:

"Bill__Woods
      Truly XSive

Hey Ace,
      If they are K&L carb kits be very wary of the pilot jet. The ones in the K&L kit for my 81 special were not numbered, and made my bike run very rich (Plug Fouling rich). You can order OEM mikuni pilot jets from dennis kirk like 4 for $10.00 or so. The rest of the jets in my kit were numbered and were the correct ones.
      good luck on the carb work
      Bill

does anyone have information on the '78 - '79 kits? are they incorrect as well? I'll probably end up ordering the OEM pilot jets separate anyway as they're fairly cheap.

Comment

The K & L kits do have the wrong pilot jets for the 79 Special. I used my old jets.
        Gary
        79sf
        78e

Comment

I used the K&L kits and bought new genuine mikuni jets (pilot and main)
          1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
          1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
          http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

The K&L catalogue states that the jets may not be correct for all bikes, I simply reused my old jets with the new parts in the kits since I didn't need to do any rejetting. Very pleased with the results after rebuilding and synching the carbs.

Comment

Working...
            X