Motor speeding up when i turn right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor speeding up when i turn right

ever since i bought this bike a year ago, i have had an issue where the motor speeds up when i turn right. i have checked the linkage and it does not seem to be pulling or anything. when the bike is idling is when i notice it the most. once i start moving on the road either i dont notice it or it goes away. anyone have any ideas?

If your cable is not binding, or adjusted too short, I would check your float levels. You may have one carb too high, and it gets into the carb throat when you tilt the bike.

Have you tried, at idle, just tipping the bike over to see what happens? (get a freind or two and lean the bike to see if it does it with the handlebars straight ahead.)
    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

cable

If you're sitting on the bike with it running, in neutral, try turning the handlebars all the way to the right. If the rpm's increase, you need to put some slack in the cable at the adjuster by the throttle grip. An incorrectly routed cable will do this too.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

They are right. Not enough slack in your cable.
        "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

Yup... need to go to the store and buy a can of "cable slack".
          "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Re-route the cable. I had to take off my carbs 8 times this summer and I'd put it all together and forget exactly how the cable was routed. Sometimes I got it right and it worked great, other times turning the handle bars to the right made it rev high. Granted you need to take off the seat, tank, and get your big fingers in the little space to disconnect it from the carbs again, but it really isn't too bad, maybe a 10 to 20 minute job depending on how many beer breaks.
            1980 XS 1100 Special
            1983 Honda Shadow 500 (profit project)
            1986 Honda Shadow 500 (wife's)

Comment

Make three lefts instead!

Comment

I have played the "I've routed my throttle/clutch/brake cable wrong again" game way too many times. Whenever I do a swap, I tie a piece of twine around the cable, wire, brake line, ect. that I am pulling and than just pull it back the way it was routed.
                Nothing worse than high rev lefts and clutching rights.
                Current Rides: '82 XJ w/Jardine 4-1's, GIVI flyscreen, '97 Triumph Trophy 1200
                Former Rides: '71 CB350, '78 400 Hawk, '75 CB550/4;
                while in Japan: '86 KLR250, '86 VT250Z, '86 XL600R, '82 CB450(Hawk II), '96 750 Nighthawk, '96 BMW F650

Comment

Working...
                X