Soft Saddle Bags on an XJ1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soft Saddle Bags on an XJ1100

I apologize in advance if this has already been covered before, but I didn't find anything through the search tool.

I'd like to install a set of soft saddle bags on my XJ1100, but I'm still trying to sort out in my head how to get around the seat latches/lock and how to support them on the sides so that they don't rub on the rear wheel. I think I have a reasonable plan for re-locating the rear turn signals.

How has anyone else out there mounted soft bags on their XJ? Photos would be appreciated, especially close ups of the side supports and how they mount to the frame.
    Perry

'82 XJ1100 (Second Childhood)
    Frame-up Restoration
    As Original as I Could Keep It

I had a set on mine that were rather large. I cut a slot on each side for the latches to go through. The sides were attached with some leather cords tied to the shocks. They type I had did not require any brackets. I now have hard bags so I can't supply you with any photos. Hope this helps.
    Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
    '82 XJ1100
    '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Like Bigfoot said, I had to do quite a bit of cutting on mine to get them to work. I had to cut the front side of them for the way the seat is, along with two holes to allow for the latches. I have marked in red where I had to cut.

These bags are rather large also... each one will hold two gallons of milk plus some other things... and I got them to fit just in front of the stock turn signals. Around the front bottom of the bag, they rest on the back foot pegs. I punched a hole through the bottom inside lip of the seam of the bags and ran a zip-tie through that to the rear shocks as well to keep them from flopping when empty.

They have gotten a bit droopy from getting wet, so I drilled and rivetted an aluminum plate to the inside of the bags to keep them flat. They had started drooping over the back of my mufflers, so I had to do something.

I don't have them on except for trips any more... I could stand a new set, but they have done well for me for a few years now.

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig

each one will hold two gallons of milk plus some other things
        No...unuh...lol....can't...lol.....touch that one. lol
        Ernie
        79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
        (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

my 1980 XS 1100 special came with soft leather saddle bags. They have notches cut in the top front where the seat bolts through. They are Harley Davidson bags with Harley Davidson brackets that hold the bottom of the bags away from the wheel. They bolt on below the seat in the hole/ gusset welded to the frame and to a hole that holds the fender to the frame. It is a simple off centered U shape bar with a bolting tube on each end. I have them off right now but I can take pictures and send them if you want.
          If I was to put different bags on I would make that bracket myself to fit what ever bags I could find cheap. I'd also make it so the bracket fits under the bags to support any wieght rather than strap to the back of the bags so when you do have a gallon of milk in each side the straps don't rip and allow the bags to shift and move.
          1980 XS 1100 Special
          1983 Honda Shadow 500 (profit project)
          1986 Honda Shadow 500 (wife's)

Comment

Ridinghard, would it be possible for you to post a photo of the brackets that attach to the frame (spare hole and fender mount bolt)? I was thinking of making up brackets to mount in the same place. I'll probably just mount the bags permanently to these brackets; not sure if I'll even need the leather strap running between them.
            Perry

Frame-up Restoration

Comment

Yes, it'll take a bit but I'll have them on later today.
              1980 XS 1100 Special

Comment

Very simple bracket design, round bar bent to shape with spacers welded to the ends for bolting to the bike. These are about 3/4 inches long.

The bracket bolts to the hole on the left holding the sissy bar, and to the bolt on the right past the light that holds the fender.
                There were longer bolts holding the brackets so I used a few I had that were shorter when I took them off.

I didn't realize until now that it is an XJ not XS you are talking about but it might be the same or close.
                1980 XS 1100 Special

Comment

Thanks ridinghard.

That's pretty much what I had in mind. It looks like the XJ is pretty similar to your bike, so the concept should work for me.
                  Perry

Frame-up Restoration

Comment

mine had zip ties holding the bags to the bracket, but if I was to build the bracket I'd make it so it went under the bags to support it. Not sure what you plan to carry but there are two certainties with riding a motorcycle. You will get caught in the rain and you will be asked to pick something up on the way home. I went to a back pack on the sissy bar just for this reason. It raises the center of gravity when you carry stuff but can hold the milk or other groceries and riding gear better than the saddle bags could.
                    1980 XS 1100 Special

Comment

I used the hard bag mounts. Got a set of hardbags and all hardware from Chop a few years back. tried to fix the hard bags. Found a pair of River Road x-large bags that were cheap. attached them to the hard bag frame with 2 bolts and lynch pins near the bottom of the bag. I have found though, that I have to leave them loose to tighten my seat down.
                      Yamaniac
                      '79 xs11 sf - WidowMaker, 750 final drive
                      '80 xs1100 sg- ENEMY#1 parts bike no title(free)
                      '79 f- frame and swingarm (and title)
                      '82 yz 490- needs a cylinder, head, & new piston, etc. Got one for sale?
                      '88 Honda cbr600- Running, finally! Training bike for swmbo, maybe a stunt bike for me eventually.

Comment

Working...
                      X