Choke to start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choke to start?

I was wondering if everybody has to choke their bike to start it even when it is warm? If I stop at a convenience store for 5-10 min, I have to 1/2 choke my bike to get it started again. Do I need to work on the carbs again or is this normal?

thanks
    Pat
    The only known XJ1100 Interstate

No, I only have to choke when my bike is cold. Actually, my bike starts best, when warm, by opening the throttle a little when starting.
    Bill Murrin
    Nashville, TN
    1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
    1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
    2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
    2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
    1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
    2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

Once warm mine starts really fast and easy. Just a slight tap and it roars right up when warm. Of course my fuel mix is screwed up and it idles at about 3500 RPM when it is hot *grin*. I suspect mine is a tad rich when warm. That is this weekend's project.
      1979 XS1100 Special with 81 carbs

Richmond, Virginia, USA

Comment

No, I only have to use the choke when cold, but I do have to open the throttle up when starting, cold or warm.
        Robert
        79 SF

Comment

Guess I gotta do some tweakin'

Thanks all, I didn't think that should be right.
          Pat
          The only known XJ1100 Interstate

Comment

Choking

Sounds like you may have a fuel delivery problem, most often when choking is required after warm up it is due to lack of fuel in the carb bowls. start with the petcocks and work your way to the carbs, be sure fuel flows freely.
            Unless you are the lead sled dog the view never changes.

Comment

Working...
            X