used xs1100 clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• used xs1100 clutch

Hi folks,,,,I got a local dude selling a thrashed, but running xs1100-79. Question is he claims the clutch is burnt, so I went and looked at it and it goes through the gears on the center stand. The engine does not engage, I spin the rear wheel and there is some play in the driveline and or gears, the engine does not engage during the spinning of the wheel. If the clutch is burnt,,,will the engine engage and stop the rear wheel from spinning when in gear, or, will the wheel spin the gears and not be affected by the engine?? I am worried the trans is gone, but the thing is so cheap, 100.00. So,,,,should I worry about the trans,,,or is the burnt clutch keeping it from engaging the engine? I know during a roll start when popping it into gear it cranks the engine over with a good clutch,,,but what happens when a clutch is totally fried??? Searching for answers, Mike in s.diego
    mike
    1982 xj1100 maxim
    1981 venture bagger
    1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
    1959 wife

call me

I've got a "good" bottom end for an 80 g 8582489490
    91 kwaka kz1000p
    Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

Even badly wiped out gears will make a racket when the clutch handle is let out if that is the problem. Andreas recently posted about having a good supply of clutch baskets for cheap. Put in the new basket with some new springs.. throw an extra steel disc in the middle to firm it up nice and tight... and the clutch part of it should be good to go.

If all else fails, you can get your money back from parting out the bike since it's so cheap.

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Offer him $50!!!! While I don't like seeing a XS parted out, sometimes it if for the better to keep other bikes running. The collective parts on it would easily bring back your $50, or you find it a simple/cheap fix and put it back on the road. A clutch would have to be totally fried, or broke to keep the engine from turning when rolled in gear. There a lotas things that could be causing the problem. Even with a cratered tranny, parts are easy to find here along with the needed support to fix it.
        When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

I spin the rear wheel and there is some play in the driveline and or gears
          Does that mean that you can spin the wheel easily while it's in gear?
          Can you "feel" the difference between neutral and in a gear?

mro

Comment

There has to be something seriously shelled out in there for it to behave in that manner.
            Even a worn out clutch will grab some.

It's probably a $100 worth of spare parts though.
            XS1100SF
            XS1100F

Comment

wheel turns

Hey guys, the wheel and driveshaft turn when engaged in 1-5 gears but there is no resistance from the engine. I assume the engine should lock up the tranny when engaged but there is nothin" but free driveshaft and gears turning easily by hand with the bike on centerstand. Is this common when the clutch is totally fried or is there major problems in the tranny?????? I will probably get it for a partser as I hate to see another xs get tossed in the local landfill.....so,,,,opinions on the tranny??? Regards, Mike
              mike
              1982 xj1100 maxim
              1981 venture bagger
              1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
              1959 wife

Comment

$100 gem

My opinion, I'd buy the bike & start taking it apart, find the problem. Anything on these bikes can be fixed for minimal coin. The only real PITA thing would be the starter clutch. Only way to get at that is to crack the cases. Any of the other tranny and clutch issues can be addressed with the motor still in the frame.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
                X