Am I missing something?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I missing something?

Hi all, just a quick one. I think I could be missing a part in the rear wheel area.. on the left side of the wheel where it engages into the final drive. There is of course the bearing and oil seal, plus the little metal collar.. but in the clymer manual it shows a "dust seal" mabye Im nuts but Im pretty sure I dont have that.. is it a spacer? reason is when I tighten up my castle nut, my axle pulls in past where you can put a screwdriver thru the holes at the end.. it is partially into the pinch bolt area of the swingarm.

So is that a seal of some kind or a metal spacer??
    When I install my rear tire it looks like it is off center (to the left) if you are looking at it from behind with the fender up. With the fender down, it doesnt look quite as bad but is still a little out of line with the fender. (to the left)>
    Any ideas?
    XS1100 F/G (79 Bike/80 Motor)
    Grab a tetanus shot and jump on!!!

axle

Both of my XS's have the rear axle (rt. side) receding into the pinch bolt area so a screwdriver won't fit. IIRC, this is normal.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

When it is buttoned up, it should look like this:

If you can't get a screwdriver into the hole in the end of the axle, check for any space wider than what you see in the picture. Like the front end, you tighten the castellated nut first. Then you pull the other end, other swingarm end in this case, over to where it belongs before you tighten the pinch bolt.
      Ken Talbot

Comment

Oh, ok.. I thought about just pushing it over and tightening the pinch bolt. hmm. wonder why its that far off.. hehe.. Ill give that a crank tommorow.
        XS1100 F/G (79 Bike/80 Motor)
        Grab a tetanus shot and jump on!!!

Comment

This may shed some light...http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ht=rear+spacer
          Ernie
          79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
          (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

Working...
          X