Oil leak cylinder question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil leak cylinder question

It appears that I have a slight oil leak at the base of my jugs.(cylinders) I was planning on pulling the top and cylinders this winter and replacing the base gasket. My question is, can I remove the cylinder head and base without taking the whole engine off of the bike frame? I know I can get the head off but can I slide the jugs up the bolts far enough to remove them? Please help before I do something stupid!! AGAIN! It's becoming a habit.
    Bill

1980 XS 1100 Special
    1979 650 Special - sold (Stupid Me!)

Yup!

lol.

Someone made a pretty cool tool recently and I can't for the life of me remember who it was... but the cylinders can become very stuck to the base of the motor. They made a tool with a hook to pull up from the center and keep from breaking the cooling fins trying to pry it off from the outside.

On a side note, I would look for a leak somewhere else first. There's no pressure on that base gasket, so it might be leaking down from above onto it. Suspect the cam chain adjuster and valve cover first.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Radiation:

As trbig said, first look. To help you pinpoint where, clean the engine and dust with talc or baby powder. Run the engine a while and then look for tell tale signs of oil seepage with the talc pointing the way.

Comment

Not the tensioner

I know it isn't the cam chain adjuster because I just replaced it. In case your wondering, you can still order the tensioner housing from the dealer. A little over $37 for just the aluminum housing. It seems to be coming from the base below the tensioner. It looks like it is coming from the base of the fins. The tensioner and above the seam are dry.
        When I bought the bike the PO said that it had a very slight leak from the base but he didn't want to mess with it. He thought it was in the back but I don't see any moisture below the intake boots.
        Bill

1980 XS 1100 Special

Comment

Follow trbig's advice on really looking closely to track down the source. Very often, the valve cover gasket will begin to weep way down deep inside the "H" spape. From there, oil can seep out of one of the drainage ports, down the engine a ways, then get blown back through to the back side of the cylinder block. There are a number of very circuitous routes that will end up with oil pooling at the base of the jugs, on the front side of the motor or on the back side. It is possible that it may actually be leaking from the base gasket, but it is very unlikely.
          YMMV
          Ken Talbot

Comment

Radiation - I had what I thought was a base gasket leak some months back. Wound-up being a leaky oil pipe fitting - bad crush washers on the banjo bolt. Cleaning it and using Talc's a good idea. My $.02.
            I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

I had a leak on the right-rear side of the jugs where the bolt passed through. I was able to stop the leak with RTV without pulling anything apart. I think there is a gravity passage for oil and the plastic bushing must have broken. All I can say is that the RTV stopped the leak! In fact, it hasn't leaked again in 6 years.
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Thanks Guys

I will do some more investigating. I didn't really want to pull the jugs if I could help it. It just started to leak quite a bit after I tried to clean up the engine a couple of weeks ago. I washed the bike after riding it and letting it sit for about a hour to cool down. I then got a wild hair and started spraying down the case and lower jugs with engine degreaser. It cleaned it up real nice but since then it has been leaking. Looking at the base of the jugs in the back, they are totally dry. So I assumed that it was coming from the front. Maybe I just went and proved that saying about when you "ASSUME."
                Bill

1980 XS 1100 Special

Comment

Working...
                X