Headlight Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight Mod

Alright, I'm planning on doing a lot to my XS11 over the Winter. One of the things I'm planning on doing is removing the fairing and replacing it with a different headlight. I really like the look of the headlight from the Midnight Special, but don't know where to find one like it. Any ideas?

Also, would replacing the fairing with a regular headlight require any modifications? Would it complicate wiring or anything?
    -Ryan

Are you a dreamer?

'81 XS1100H w/ Pods

I've seen the headlights on ebay from time to time. You may have to but one a part at a time as they become available but it can be done. As far as the wiring, it should be pretty straight forward. Are your current turn signals in the fairing?
    Tim Ripley - Gaithersburg, MD
    1981 XS1100 Special "Spoiled Rotten" Just sold - currently bikeless!!
    23mm float height
    120 main jets
    42.5 pilot jets
    drilled stock airbox with K&N
    Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
    spade fusebox
    1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

I did this exact mod to my 79 standard. I bought the bucket & lense/chrome trim seperately. Got aftermarket mount for the light but I have seen several used stock ears/ mount to forks. If you want the light to stay set, you will have to fab a little bracket to go with the slide tab under the bucket if using special light on standard. I bought 2 L brackets cut them down bent them a little put them togeather, working well. bolts to lower triple tree right side (looking @ front).

Comment

my faring was wired to the head light triple plug & turn sgnals with this long intermittent wire-set. I just took it off completely. several extra wires in head light wireing some conectios are constant power, some are switched with ignition, 2 are blinkers, I didn't find ground, just ground to the bucket or run exta to frame.

Comment

Yeah, my turn signals are in the fairing. Although, right now I have the headlight wiring rigged up because the switch didn't work when I bought the bike. I wired it so that the headlight and parking lights go on when I turn the key, and just stuck a little $2 switch in the fairing that contols my brights.
          -Ryan

Are you a dreamer?

'81 XS1100H w/ Pods

Comment

If you want to buy new, there are some at this site that would work on your bike. Scroll down the page. You'll see 'em. Pretty good prices too.

MikesXS
            23mm float height
            120 main jets
            42.5 pilot jets
            Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
            spade fusebox
            1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

the switch didn't work when I bought the bike. I wired it so that the headlight and parking lights go on when I turn the key
              Stock 81's don't have an "on/off" head light switch, just the high/low switch on the left control.
              Head light only comes on after the bike is started when the head light relay is activated by the generator.

mro

Comment

Yeah, I know. None of the front lights worked at all when I bought it. Maybe the relay was the problem. Someone told me it was the "solid state resistor," but I dunno.

Anyway, the easiest way to wire it was to the ignition wire coming off the fuse box, so the ignition key turns on the lights.
                -Ryan

Are you a dreamer?

'81 XS1100H w/ Pods

Comment

head light relay, under the cover

mro

Comment

Man! My eyes must be going bad. That relay looks like a giant blurry blob to me.
                    23mm float height
                    120 main jets
                    42.5 pilot jets
                    Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
                    spade fusebox
                    1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

I never realized that that was a problem... the relay that is. My head light comes on with the ignition, not the starting of the engine. It hasn't caused me any problems so far but I can't help but wonder how many cranking amps are lost during start up. If the relay is bad will there be any other problems other than the light coming on before the engine is running?

Comment

The ears on my bike rattled at speed.
                        So when I did my rebuild I had them off.
                        Upon replacing the "ears" onto the forks, I used the old seal rings from my front Brake calipers, (which I had just rebuilt)
                        They are the exact size to sit under the crome rings, and to put that little preasure on the wings to stop them rattling.
                        http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...e/DSC00009.jpg
                        1980 XS1100 Std English Assembled, 378k miles
                        In stock untouched contion.
                        http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...e/seatside.jpg
                        1979 XS1100F Std NZ new,
                        Mikes XS coils
                        Jardine 4-1
                        Pod filters
                        Harley Davidson Rear Fender
                        Bullet signal lights
                        Twin 75mm headlights
                        Self made single seat

Comment

If the relay is bad will there be any other problems other than the light coming on before the engine is running?
                          Your relay has been by-passed.

mro

That relay looks like a giant blurry blob to me
                          must be it's solid state

Comment

Working...
                          X